• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: If money were no object, where would you ski?

abc

Banned
Anyway, you should probably specify "if money and TIME were no object". Because even if I had all the money in the world, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with enough time to travel to all these places.
And add the kind of skiing preferred.

For powder, Japan seems to get the most nods. (without getting into a helicopter, that is)

But for steeps, Alaska seems to be the ultimate favorite.

Big mountain? Europe.

None of these destination are easy to get to. The air miles will get you there though. That is, if you can spare the travel time.

From Ohio, the shortest travel time will be the Rockies. Salt Lake City (Alta/Snowbird/Park City) will do very well. Door to lift probably what, 5 hrs? Vail is a close second.

Christy

Angel Diva
So...do you really have so many points that you can afford a real splurge? And this is for a long weekend, right? So you need to stick to this continent. I'd look in to BC heli-skiing as others have suggested.

If you want something lift served, Sun Valley (or do heli there also!). But I say that because it's my favorite; you certainly couldn't go wrong with Tahoe, if you've really wanted to go there. When we had Diva Week West we stayed in Truckee and skied multiple north Tahoe resorts, and I thought that was great.

Or do are you using miles, which are trickier than points and may really limit you?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Utah would be great for a long weekend, so many resorts to choose from.

Christy

Angel Diva
Don't forget to check where you can fly nonstop to from your home airport. For a long weekend, having to change planes could kill the better part of a day.

abc

Banned
Don't forget to check where you can fly nonstop to from your home airport. For a long weekend, having to change planes could kill the better part of a day.
I was thinking the same. That pretty much rule out Aspen, Jackson Hole that sort of place.

Even Tahoe isn't the best long weekend destination. Reno isn't a large airport so unless you're kind of lucky, you got to change plane to get there. And besides Mt Rose, the rest of the resorts are also a couple hour drive away, which means you can't ski till lift closing on the last day, if you can ski at all the last day.

Contrast that with Denver and SLC. You can ski the first AND last day!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New Zealand! or Chile! Because I would want to ski in a place with other things I'd love to see but it's too expensive for me to go in a normal life. I'd love to visit New Zealand and Chile!

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm..time to compile my fantasy ski resort!
The scenery and views of Zermatt, (plus a little extra tree line skiing); and their very gorgeous boutique hotels;
The mountain restaurants of Italy;-well...in truth ALL their restaurants!
The linked ski areas of France; cute mountain villages;
The snowfall of North America or Western Canada (not enough of an expert to say which resort);
The ski lifts of Austria (heated seats :smile:-never had a hot bottom on a ski lift before!)
The Après of Austria;
The ski in/ski out convenience of France ;
Canadian/US ski instructors (Aussies, Brits and Kiwis out there too);
Patrolled back and side country (north America wins again!)

All at prices charged in Bulgaria.......and within 2 hours of home so I can go for the weekend!

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mmmm, great thread. I would need better technique before heliskiing. Japan for sure.
I really fancy doing a whole season and making use of the Swiss rail links and spending a few days each in multiple resorts.....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Well, I think if what you really want to do is cash in some of the perk points, you ought to start with either Salt Lake or Tahoe. DH used to travel (profusely), had similar accounts, and we did quite a few trips with only expenses being lift tickets and food. So many lodging choices in Salt Lake (AND Tahoe) that something should be a fit with your perks.

But, at least for me, given the dream question.......heli....just once....oh heck, I'll even settle for snowcat. Edited a bunch of video footage for friend who did a heli day last season @ Whistler.....OMG....:drool:

kit125

Certified Ski Diva
So many adventure seekers!!! I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle heli-skiing.....

But thanks for all the great suggestions! Japan and Europe sound so intriguing....but I don't think I can fit in a trip like that this year. Hopefully one day.... Will have to be a little closer to home to fit in about 4-5 day window.

I think SLC and Tahoe are on the short list, but work keeps getting in the way! Was planning for a late Feb trip, but is now looking more like late March, which I hope doesn't limit any choices. Still taking suggestions!

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am approaching a milestone birthday :becky:, and we're headed to British Columbia. The snow is the big draw, that and some of the small towns are supposed to be pretty sweet (Nelson, Revelstoke, Fernie--we haven't decided where yet). But if I had my druthers (i.e. $$ no object), personally the Alps would be at the top of my list (if they were having a good snow year). Completely different ski culture and amazing scenery.

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am approaching a milestone birthday :becky:, and we're headed to British Columbia. The snow is the big draw, that and some of the small towns are supposed to be pretty sweet (Nelson, Revelstoke, Fernie--we haven't decided where yet). But if I had my druthers (i.e. $$ no object), personally the Alps would be at the top of my list (if they were having a good snow year). Completely different ski culture and amazing scenery.

Nelson is on top of my list for the ski towns listed -- powder magazine agrees. Ok so the honour was shared with Rossland. That would help with voting but Nelson gets the nod IMHO. Whitewater Ski Resort = heart, soul, powder (but scheduled to close early April)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna