• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to start a season with new equipment?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Well, I was hoping to get set up with my own set of boots this season and do some ski demos with them to see what I like before next season starts (currently on all-rental equipment), but with the early end of the season and the Bay Area lockdown, it looks like I'm just going to have to get boots done over the summer.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle the ski situation? I was on a season-long rental this year, but I'd rather not do that again, since I probably want to get my own skis. So I guess I could plan to try and demo a few options early next season and then buy whichever I like best right away. Does that seem like a reasonable plan? I don't like the idea of going into a set of demos knowing I'm under time pressure to purchase.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keep posting. After 20ish posts, you'll have access to the Gear Swap and may find something there to start the season with.

Or post a little about yourself, your ability, and what you like to ski -- someone here may have a suggestion.

Or go to local ski swaps in the fall and pick up a decent ski to start the season.

newboots

Angel Diva
It's easier if you have a skiing friend to shop with. Of course, friends have their biases, too.

RE: bootfitting. See this thread: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-you-yes-you-need-a-boot-fitting.2075/

Skis: think about what you liked from your rental skis, and disliked. What skis were they? Size, etc.? Then ask around about skis that do better from that perspective. You should probably do a lot of shopping, asking, and discussing here. There are also great guides for buying skis around the interwebs. ;-)

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Sorry for the late response, all! Life's been crazy!

My rentals were Rossignol Experience 88 Ti 159cm. By the end of the season, they felt pretty short/unstable at higher speeds, and they had a bit of what I think is called "chatter"? I was pretty happy with them most of the time, though, but it's hard to pinpoint what the things were I actually liked specifically.

I'm relatively new to skiing, but I had pretty good progress this past season and got comfortable on some of the easier blacks at Kirkwood and Northstar in Tahoe. And I enjoyed it enough to know I want to invest in skiing as a long-term hobby!

I'm 5'11", so I think (based on online calculators) I need to be looking at something in the 175cm+ range. I also want something a bit wider that'll be good for expanding my skill set on ungroomed terrain. The options I have in mind right now based on other reviews are the Santa Ana 93 and the Sheeva 9 or 10 (probably the 10 because the 9 only goes up to 172cm).

I am kinda concerned because it sounds like for demos, they often won't have skis in the longer lengths that I would probably want to buy. I'm worried that trying them out won't be representative of what I'd actually get. Does anyone taller have thoughts on that or a process they've worked out?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 in a 175 length listed in the gear sale section.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The options I have in mind right now based on other reviews are the Santa Ana 93 and the Sheeva 9 or 10 (probably the 10 because the 9 only goes up to 172cm).
The men’s Blizzard Rustler 9 skis very similarly to the Sheeva 9. They milled a bit of the wood core out on the Sheeva to make it slightly less stiff. I would put the Rustler 9 on your demo list and see what you think since you should be able to try that in a 179.

Women’s skis are tough to demo in the longer lengths. I often demo short and buy longer. I am 5’9”/140ish and have the Sheeva 9 172... I would be happy on the Rustler 9 172 as well.

The Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 175 for sale would be spot on too. Get those posts up!

gingerjess

Angel Diva
The men’s Blizzard Rustler 9 skis very similarly to the Sheeva 9. They milled a bit of the wood core out on the Sheeva to make it slightly less stiff. I would put the Rustler 9 on your demo list and see what you think since you should be able to try that in a 179.

Women’s skis are tough to demo in the longer lengths. I often demo short and buy longer. I am 5’9”/140ish and have the Sheeva 9 172... I would be happy on the Rustler 9 172 as well.

The Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 175 for sale would be spot on too. Get those posts up!

Thanks for the advice! So... it sounds like while it's generally a good idea to do demos, it's not always critical to demo the exact ski you would buy? And in some cases, it's skippable altogether?

It sounds like most skis fall somewhere in between the BP88 (super controversial; demo it to determine if you love it or hate it) and the Stöckli mentioned above (reviews universally adore it, safe to just buy)?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for the advice! So... it sounds like while it's generally a good idea to do demos, it's not always critical to demo the exact ski you would buy? And in some cases, it's skippable altogether?
Welcome to the next stage of being a ski nut!

The season lease was a good way to get started. If you did that again just for skis, could try different lengths. When I started skiing with my daughter (age 4 over 15 years ago), I had old boots and just rented skis since we only skied <10 days the first couple seasons. I'd skied very little for a few decades. Then I bought a really cheap pair of former rental skis from eBay since breakeven on rental fees was about 4 days.

When I was ready to buy skis, I went to a free demo day locally in December. Ended up buying skis from a brand I liked, but not exactly the model I demo'd. I waited until spring sales to buy. Since I'm petite, there were rarely skis the right length on demo days when I was still an intermediate. Friends who are tall have the same issue, but they can demo men's skis.

There are many ways to approach buying a first pair of skis. Budget, ability to get to a free demo day, willingness to pay for a "personal demo day" are just a few of the factors.

lisamamot

Angel Diva

It sounds like most skis fall somewhere in between the BP88 (super controversial; demo it to determine if you love it or hate it) and the Stöckli mentioned above (reviews universally adore it, safe to just buy)?
I definitively have a flavor of ski I love, and I enjoy most skis that stay along those lines. Demoing to find out what you like is very helpful, so I highly recommend a demo day. That said the Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 is one of those special skis that seems to check most people’s boxes.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
...Then I bought a really cheap pair of former rental skis from eBay since breakeven on rental fees was about 4 days. When I was ready to buy skis, I went to a free demo day locally in December.

There are many ways to approach buying a first pair of skis. Budget, ability to get to a free demo day, willingness to pay for a "personal demo day" are just a few of the factors.

May I ask what got you to go from your set of formal rentals to your first new skis? It sounds like a lot more care went into the second purchase (skis that you wanted to choose and love) than the first (skis that were a pure economic tradeoff vs. continuing to rent).

I definitively have a flavor of ski I love, and I enjoy most skis that stay along those lines. Demoing to find out what you like is very helpful, so I highly recommend a demo day.

That's really helpful, and makes a lot of sense. Different people just like different things! Who knew!

marzNC

Angel Diva
May I ask what got you to go from your set of formal rentals to your first new skis? It sounds like a lot more care went into the second purchase (skis that you wanted to choose and love) than the first (skis that were a pure economic tradeoff vs. continuing to rent).
I just looked on eBay for cheap skis that were a reasonable length. Only spent $100. I know how to check a Seller's history to make sure they are reputable. The skis came from a warehouse-type company on the east coast somewhere.

I learned later on about "ski swaps" that happen in the fall. But since I don't live near big ski mountains, that's not that easy an option. I did go visit a friend for a weekend who lived near one when my daughter was ready for her own gear. She was 7 or 8 and had already done a season lease for two seasons by then. We arrived super early and lucked out. Got boots, skis, and poles for under $150. Of course, for kids fitting boots isn't as big a deal. I was at a swap last fall and found a pair of skis for $100 for a friend's son. He skis < 10 days a season but is a very good skier, so for local skiing it's nice for him to have a decent pair instead of rental skis. He has used boots too.

Even for the second pair of skis, I was not really doing much more than avoiding renting. Didn't really demo deliberately until a couple years later when I was starting to take at least one mid-season trip out west. For that pair of skis, I figured out what I wanted and didn't buy until the next summer. I spent a week in north Tahoe on demo skis, changing models almost every day. Only brought boots on the plane.

I think this was one of the threads where I started learning about demo'ing in earnest:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/dumb-question-how-to-demo-skis.10805/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Avoiding renting skis is a worthwhile goal all unto itself!
Daily/multi-day rentals are a pain for sure. But a season lease has uses for people who are still figuring out how far they want to get into skiing as a hobby. Of course, really depends on what type of ski shops they have access to. The gear that I could get as a season lease in the southeast was pretty basic. My sense is that if I lived in New England or in the Rockies then there are more options for a season lease.

Buying boots is much more worth the time and effort. Even though it's not always clear how to find a good boot fitter.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I think this was one of the threads where I started learning about demo'ing in earnest:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/dumb-question-how-to-demo-skis.10805/

That thread is super helpful; thank you!

Avoiding renting skis is a worthwhile goal all unto itself!

Haha, I guess the extent to which I feel comfortable avoiding rentals by buying online sight-unseen is very much up to me. I know another season rental will cost me $200ish, and there ARE 2019 model skis on sale right now for not too much more than that. It's pretty tempting to order, say, a Ripstick 94 at 177cm for $300, and know I HAVE SKIS and don't have to worry about having to deal with rentals vs. demos and whatnot, even if I also know the ones I have might not be "the one". I tend to hate not having a backup plan, so the idea of showing up to the mountain to do demos with no gear but my boots is kinda scary.

And don't worry—getting fitted for boots is ABSOLUTELY on the agenda as soon as things open up again around here (SF bay area). The rental boots I was in this last season were awful.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know another season rental will cost me $200ish, and there ARE 2019 model skis on sale right now for not too much more than that. It's pretty tempting to order, say, a Ripstick 94 at 177cm for $300, and know I HAVE SKIS and don't have to worry about having to deal with rentals vs. demos and whatnot, even if I also know the ones I have might not be "the one". I tend to hate not having a backup plan, so the idea of showing up to the mountain to do demos with no gear but my boots is kinda scary.
Remember that buying skis actually is two purchases, the skis and the bindings. The first few pairs of skis I bought included "system" bindings, also called "demo" bindings. So I didn't have to learn about bindings yet. Skis with system/demo bindings are a little easier to sell because they fit many more sizes of boots.

Skis without bindings are called "flat." Getting bindings installed can be done by reputable online stores or later on at a local ski shop.

When you own boots, it's not that big a deal to rent skis other than having to spend the time getting the skis. There are usually 2 price levels, sometimes 3. At least Standard and Demo, and sometimes an category in between called Performance.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha, I guess the extent to which I feel comfortable avoiding rentals by buying online sight-unseen is very much up to me.
Sorry. Was not trying to impose my opinion of rent vs. buy on you as an individual. My intention was to echo @marzNC's decision to buy instead of renting, even though our reasons for doing so may not have been the same.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Sorry. Was not trying to impose my opinion of rent vs. buy on you as an individual. My intention was to echo @marzNC's decision to buy instead of renting, even though our reasons for doing so may not have been the same.

Not at all; sorry for my confusing phrasing! I meant to convey that because no one else is in my exact situation, no one here is going to be able to tell me if buying to avoid renting skis is definitely right or definitely wrong for me.

Remember that buying skis actually is two purchases, the skis and the bindings. The first few pairs of skis I bought included "system" bindings, also called "demo" bindings. So I didn't have to learn about bindings yet. Skis with system/demo bindings are a little easier to sell because they fit many more sizes of boots.

That's a good point! I also think that if I buy skis, I would want to get the Phantom treatment on them—I've heard so many good things about it!—so that would be another expense. Maybe it is a good idea to just do another season rental on skis I don't own to give me time to find a model that I really love.

I also came across another thread yesterday of someone who was in a similar position to me a few years ago who bought skis she wasn't ready for without demoing and had a miserable first day back the next season—I definitely don't want that!

marzNC

Angel Diva
That's a good point! I also think that if I buy skis, I would want to get the Phantom treatment on them—I've heard so many good things about it!—so that would be another expense. Maybe it is a good idea to just do another season rental on skis I don't own to give me time to find a model that I really love.

I also came across another thread yesterday of someone who was in a similar position to me a few years ago who bought skis she wasn't ready for without demoing and had a miserable first day back the next season—I definitely don't want that!
When you find the Phantom thread, you'll see that I was an early adopter for Phantom and love it. But it may not make the most sense for the first pair of skis if they are bought without any demo'ing. Depends somewhat on how many days and what type of snow you are likely to ski on the first season for "new to you" skis. On soft snow out west, usually not much need to wax every 2-3 ski days. On manmade snow in the mid-Altantic, it's easy to do far better than break even getting Phantom from the start for someone who is going to ski 20+ days and doesn't already have stuff to wax skis at home.

Investing the time and money for a personal demo day can be worthwhile. Note that most ski shops will get credit for the rental cost towards the purchase of a pair of skis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna