• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dumb Question - How to Demo Skis?

NorCal Debbie

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies, I will be in the market for some new skis (post boot purchase of course) and keep reading your advice to DEMO DEMO DEMO before buying. I've never demoed before and I'm not sure how it works? Does every mountain offer demos? Is there a special demo kiosk to look for, or is it through the rental department? Is there a Demo Guy walking around yelling DEMO! like a hot dog vendor at a game? (I'm kidding) :D What information should I be armed with before attempting to demo skis? Any advice would be great...thanks Divas!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are specific demo days, shops offer demos and sometimes there are tents randomly set up at the bottom of the mountain with demos. Where do you ski, some locals that post here might be able to give you more specific direction.

altagirl

Staff member
If you're really lucky you might find a "demo day" where companies will have skis out in tents at the base of the mountain and you can take a different pair out every run or two all day for free. But that doesn't happen that often, so it's usually paying at a rental shop.

Generally, I make a list of skis that I am interested in and then call around (or just look around) to see who has them available to demo. Some can be found at the on-mountain rental places, others at shops in town.... totally depends.

Then I generally pick the place that has the most models I was hoping to try and pick a good day and go demo skis. Go in, tell them you want to demo these several pairs of skis and maybe whatever else they recommend. You pay just like you would pay for renting skis for the day but you can bring them back in and swap them out for different pairs all day long.

Now obviously, this means you probably don't want to try this on a crazy crowded day, or the skis you want to try will probably be out for the day, and lines will be long and all of that. I generally look for a relatively non-crowded day with average snow conditions and then arm myself with a little notepad and hit the slopes. With each pair of skis, I like to take the same run or two where I can cover various types of snow and terrain - groomed, bumps, crud, powder if I can find a bit... And then at the end of each run I write down my comments about how the ski felt in different types of terrain.

If you find something you love, I'd ask the shop to help you figure out what the mounting point is and write that down too. So many skis have variable mount points, and demo bindings can usually be shifted backwards and you will want to know that info if you are mounting a set you buy later. (Likewise if you are on a ski that just feels like the balance point is off, it might be worth discussing mount point with the ski tech to see if an adjustment would make the ski feel better for you.)

Jilly

Staff member
And if you get lucky with demo tents at the bottom of a hill, be sure to take ID. You might need a credit card or your driver's license to leave with the rep as proof that you'll be bringing em back!

Last Saturday Salomon was only taking driver's licenses. They got caught last year and someone left them a stolen credit card and took off with a $1000 pair of skis.

I've never had to pay to demo. We get 2 free demo days/rental days with our season passes and I usually hit up the demo days at Tremblant. For example they have 3 listed on their website. One was last Saturday.

So check out the resort websites and/or the company websites. Rossi and Nordica Canada list a "tour" ie demo day on their sites.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At my home mountain they have a couple days after thanksgiving where many companies set up a tent, $10 I think to demo all day. But in NE T-day is not the best of conditions to demo some things. And limited to the companies that sell in the ski shoppe at the mountain.

You can demo any time at the ski shoppe for $50 a day, and get that off the purchase price. But again, limited companies. Other shoppes off-mountain demo, but then you have to leave/return to demo pairs (I think).

I have such limited time on snow (without kids) that demo'ing is a hassle, have only done it during the demo-day. Hate to give up a valuable ski day to try stuff..even though I know it's recommended. But my current pair of ski were bought used from a friend for my teen DD who hated them, I took them and love them. I'm going to demo a pair my friend offered to me for free (my current SL skis are bent, or rockered ha ha, and I need a new pair, but haven't noticed the bend at all skiing, so I'm not to anxious to spend the $, and then my budget is about $200 lol - looking for used race SL skis).

Jilly

Staff member
Also to help the rep's if you're at a demo tent, know your Boot Sole Length (BSL). It's the number in mm on the outer shell of your boot, usually just behind the arch area. Also the DIN setting of your current skis.

And you'll have to sign a waiver. Legal stuff incase you hurt yourself.

Christy

Angel Diva
The big on-mountain demo day where I ski happens at the end of the season, so people can try the new (next year's) skis. It's super fun--ours charges $10 but it's for charity. We're limited to 2 runs on each pair of skis.

We also have demo shops at my mountains where you can pay to try skis. The in-city ski shop where I do most of my shopping has demos of most every ski they sell, and they'll charge $40-$50 if you want to demo a pair for the day. But, they'll also subtract that amount if you buy a pair of skis from them.

I know Whistler has a Rossi hut where you can demo Rossis for free. But, my smaller local hills don't have anything like that.

If you have all of the Tahoe resorts available to you it's worth calling around and finding out when the big demo days are. If there are none soon, then it's worth calling around to the different areas rental/demo shops, as well as the ski shops in town.

NorCal Debbie

Certified Ski Diva
Wow such great input, thank you. My home mountain is tiny so I probably will only have one or two opportunities to demo unless I head over the hill to Tahoe.

Good to know about those numbers Jilly, thank you!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Your best bet is to demo from the mountain ski shop, or a shop that is very close. That way you can spend more time skiing and less time going back to the shop to swap out skis.

altagirl

Staff member
Your best bet is to demo from the mountain ski shop, or a shop that is very close. That way you can spend more time skiing and less time going back to the shop to swap out skis.

Yeah - ideally, it's a place that's really close to a lift, so you're able to go swap skis easily.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once you've decided on your demo location, use these tips to get the most out of your day:

• Choose a route down the mountain that gets you through as many conditions that you normally see, then take each ski down the same route.
  • Using a voice recorder or the Ski Score Card, keep track of the make, model and length of each ski and the characteristics you both liked and hated for each ski.
  • As stated above, know your BSL and DIN when you go in, or have them tell you what they are first time they set you up.
  • Be open to trying skis both longer and shorter than you'd first think.
  • Don't discount men's models or models above or below your current ability level.
  • Don't discount twin tips!

NbyNW

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, save your receipts especially if you are taking demos out from shops. They may let you put the cost of your demo towards a ski purchase.

Jilly

Staff member
Also try the same ski in different lengths. If you think its too soft or too stiff it could be the length of the ski, not the ski itself.

C

CMCM

If you can get to Squaw Valley, they have 2 demo shops. One in the village at the foot of the lifts, the other at the top of the funitel. You pay one fee (I think about $50) and you can try as many skis as you want. I like to demo from the top of the funitel because it's right by some great lifts and runs and easy to go back and forth switching skis. They have a fair number of different things to try, lots of lengths too, so you can really get a feel for different skis.

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can get to Squaw Valley, they have 2 demo shops. One in the village at the foot of the lifts, the other at the top of the funitel. You pay one fee (I think about $50) and you can try as many skis as you want. I like to demo from the top of the funitel because it's right by some great lifts and runs and easy to go back and forth switching skis. They have a fair number of different things to try, lots of lengths too, so you can really get a feel for different skis.

CMCM- When you demo at Squaw, what runs do you usually take? I usually ski Alpine and Homewood (since I get up on weekends, and Squaw is crowded and spendy on weekends), so I only go to Squaw a couple times a season. I have 2006 Volkl Queen Attivas, and frankly, I'm jealous of all you ladies with your newer models, and I'm considering upgrading this year.

Thanks,
laine

marzNC

Angel Diva
Once you've decided on your demo location, use these tips to get the most out of your day:

• Choose a route down the mountain that gets you through as many conditions that you normally see, then take each ski down the same route.
  • Using a voice recorder or the Ski Score Card, keep track of the make, model and length of each ski and the characteristics you both liked and hated for each ski.
  • As stated above, know your BSL and DIN when you go in, or have them tell you what they are first time they set you up.
  • Don't discount men's models or models above or below your current ability level.
:bump:

I think this may be how I learned it was good to try the same ski in different lengths during a demo day.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm assuming your home mountain is Bear Valley (if you live near Murphy's).. I would think the ski shop in Bear Valley would have demos. However, you would have much better choices in Tahoe. Heavenly has several ski shops and demo shops that credit you back if you make a purchase..

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump: for 2017-18

The advice in Post #11 by @volklgirl is spot on. If you click on the Ski Score Card file, it should download.

I would add that it can be useful to ski the route you take on demo skis with your own skis at some point on the same day. For a free demo day, sometimes I'll take a run with my own skis just before or after lunch.

SkiScoreCard.pdf

Attachments

• SkiScoreCard.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 29

marzNC

Angel Diva
Unexpectedly ended up with a personal demo day last week when I flew with boots and poles (adjustable to travel with them super short) but not skis. The on-mountain ski shop had a few demo skis, but not that much of a selection in an appropriate length. Here's the story . . .

I went to Jiminy Peak for a couple nights March 6-8 because I could get into ski in/out lodging at short notice before a major snowstorm in the Berkshires. Trip to Boston was planned months ago for a non-skiing long weekend to see my daughter in a dance performance. I had my boots, but didn't bother to lug skis because I knew Potter Brothers has a shop at Jiminy with demo skis. First priority was to find skis for fresh snow. But since I could change out easily, I checked out a few other skis as well from the 5-6 options available. I was willing to try any skis that were about the correct length.

The list:
* Atomic Vantage 85W, 157cm; 122.5/85/106.5 R 15 - good skis for the fresh snow
* Volkl Flair 78, 149cm; 126/78/106 @156cm R13.0 - not fun
* Atomic Cloud 12, 154cm; 110-70-95 @154cm R14.7 - more fun than expected

I'd been on the Vantage 85W and 90W before but had had mixed reactions. Had liked the 90W at Alta in spring conditions but found the 85W in early season conditions at Sunday River to be hard work. Turned out that I liked the 2018 85W quite a bit on the groomers with 2-3 inches of fresh snow mixed in. I used them in the 8+ inches of fresh snow in the late afternoon and evening on Wed. Storm total was 20+ inches, but most trails were groomed at some point during the storm. Skiing in deep snow on Thu morning that was never groomed took a bit of work, but I have enough experience that the skis were fine. Only a few trails were left ungroomed in any case.

They had the Volkl Flair 78 and Flair 81. Not sure what the differences are between them. Took the Flair 78 @149 instead of @156. Did a couple runs on groomers and didn't like it. Too much work. That's my usual reaction to Volkl skis. The only exception so far has been the Yumi.

Since the snowstorm hadn't started up yet, I changed to the Atomic Cloud 12 @154. They didn't have the 147cm. The Cloud 12 is supposed to be good for former racers, which I am not. Only started carving properly and going at higher speeds in recent years. Didn't quite know what to expect from skis that are 70 underfoot. Only had time for a couple runs and stuck to blues. Bottom line was that even @154 making short turns was easy on narrower section and they were quite fun on wider sections. If I lived in the northeast, I would be interested to take some demo runs on the Cloud 12 @147.

They also had the Blizzard Black Pearl 78 in a good length. But since I've tried those before, they weren't of interest.

After getting back to Boston, I also did a little skiing at Tenney Mountain in NH. That day the only option were some skinny Volkl regular rentals for $20 from Plymouth Ski & Sport. I think they were 65-68 underfoot. I mostly stuck to the groomed snow so it was fine. Classic skis for old school windy trails with all natural snow. Good fun!

Knowing in advance which skis I like and which I don't like when I decide to rent makes it much easier to leave my own skis at home.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
For more info directly related to a "personal demo day."

How to Approach a Personal Demo Day - started March 2018

Sometimes it's hard to fit in a free (or almost free) demo day where brand reps set up tents, especially when the demo day happens midweek. For demo days on weekends, the issue can be finding the model and length of interest if there are too many people around. That's when it pays to be flexible and go to the tents where the line isn't so long. Can learn from skis that aren't the right length or far out of the budget.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna