• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to avoid being a jerk on your ski vacation.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
So, I have a question that seems really nitpicky. I always thank every liftie every time my butt hits the seat, and I also frequently say hi as I’m navigating up/over/to the loading area.

Is that polite? Or annoyingly forcing the liftie to engage?

I can’t stop myself, but I’m always curious what others do.

Jenny

Angel Diva
So, I have a question that seems really nitpicky. I always thank every liftie every time my butt hits the seat, and I also frequently say hi as I’m navigating up/over/to the loading area.

Hahahaha - I do the same thing. But I've never worried about if it's annoying them or not, just thought I was being polite. So you're a bit more "midwest nice" than I am!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I live in Vermont and I do the same thing. I thank the lifties if they actually slow the chair down and guide it beneath you -- not if they're just standing there. And I always say thanks to the scanner, if there's someone doing that.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thank the ones at the fixed grip lifts because without them, I'd have bruised calves. A lot of times the ones at the detachables are engaging with skiers/riders, so I chat with them. Then I often wave at the person at the top.

However, being from NY, I don't worry about inconveniencing or annoying them. :wink:

Tvan

Angel Diva
I always thank the lifties, the scanner, and basically anyone who is helping. I do the same thing at the grocery store, the deli, the Dunkin’ Donuts drive thru, etc.

That’s how my mama raised me.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's interesting that I have observed less jerk behavior at the (over) crowded resorts than in the past---which contrasts to the jerk behaviors we are seeing more in daily life in the city and too often at airports. Even in masking requirement days in past year(s), compliance was good even at Brighton where being 'bad' has often been 'good'.

Maybe folks just are happy to be there? Even boarders seem more polite these days (or am I just more tolerant?)

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I'm riding a fixed grip chair solo and they bump the chair (as they usually/are supposed to do) I say thank you. Otherwise, I don't really say much unless someone speaks to me first.
None of the places I ski have scanners-they have the automatic gates, so you don't have any interaction with anyone.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
It's my default to say hello and thank you to grocery checkers, bus drivers, etc., but especially if I'm at a small mountain and I'm doing laps, I admit I feel awkward after a couple of times of repeating myself and have wondered the same as @Iwannaski. But this thread is making me think that it's just my self-conscious introversion talking and I intend to say thank you regardless after this!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the point in the article about choosing smaller hills, though I disagree with the assumption that non corporation resorts automatically treat their employees better.

The housing horrors are real. I refused to come home from work and swing by the post office to pick up the new property tax bill as the paper just today highlighted that all homeowners are seeing an increase from 30 to 50 percent in their assessment for next year! This means we have to bump the rent on the basement dwellers. Vicious cycle, and one that then places us out of reach of affordable health insurance.

Starting to think about abandoning the dream life I have been so lucky to enjoy.

I always acknowledge lifties with a smile or more. Though occasionally curse under my breath when the bumps is weak and the back of my legs get whacked. I loved the resorts in Japan where each and every liftie standing at the unloading zone bowed to each and every chair!

The patience issue mentioned in the article is so real where I live. Even on the road, and it is mostly locals that are exhibiting road rage, while the visitors speed along, oblivious to the wildlife migrating this time of year.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva

Yes, thar is polite and letting them know that you appreciate their work is very nice.
I live in a ski town. I try to bring small things like small bags of M&M and give them out to them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna