• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How often do you update your equipment?

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Speaking for myself, all I can say is that every once in a blue moon, having looked high & low, you find something that is just perfect! And you love it! So you take really good care of it so it lasts a long time. And you give it the royal treatment. That's all. It's not entirely logical.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
funny---a machine shop!!

My CAR is so dirty I don't want my jacket to brush against it when loading/unloading gear.
[note to self, wash car]

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jackets and such, I buy them when my current one dies or no longer serve the purpose. BTW, I never thought of ski jacket as "gear". I wear them in the winter even when NOT skiing. So, it's partly a fashion item. Therefore, I can AND DO have more than one jacket for skiing.
I have winter jackets, work jackets and ski jackets.
My Ski Jacket is fairly high tech with features that are somewhat ski specific. This is why I rarely wear my ski jacket when not skiing and consider it a very important piece of Ski Gear.

Work jackets tend to be old jackets that have passed the torch to new stuff.
Day to day jackets tend to be lighter weight and a little less techie.
Dress jackets tend to be, well, dressy!!:becky:

abc

Banned
My Ski Jacket is fairly high tech with features that are somewhat ski specific. This is why I rarely wear my ski jacket when not skiing and consider it a very important piece of Ski Gear.
Not that I don't value my ski jacket. But exactly because their high tech materials and MANY pockets, they're the most comfortable and most practical jacket in my closet. So when I reach for a jacket in a cold winter morning, the ski jacket gets the first choice! :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Ski jackets are usually water resistant at the minimum. Basically, NOTHING stick to it too well! So whatever "dirt" you managed to got on them, you can easily wipe it off with water.

I think there is a special component/ingredient in chairlift grease when it drips down that makes it able to permeate ANY ski jacket and stain it for life - and it doesn't discriminate as to fabric, cost, or relative age of said jacket. Ask several of mine!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I know a lot of people who have had problems with chair lift grease. Anyone have any remedies for getting it out?

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
take the gondola!!! [sorry, : ) ]

anyone ever tried "simple green" cleaner on clothing?

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I'm in the same category as Playoutside and Liquidfeet. I take particular care of my equipment and it usually services me for 10+ years. Also, I don't get to go quite as often as many of you all, so that is simply less service hours per year on it.

It's actually a little embarassing, but here it goes...
  • Line Mike Nick Pro skiboards - 11 years
  • Boots - 11 years
  • Jacket - 12 years
  • Pants - last year
  • Helmet - 7 months
  • K2 True Luvs - 3 months (end of season sale)
  • Poles - 3 months (DH is using my old poles, 'cause they were a little too long for me and I got the new ones)
  • MTB Diamondback Apex rigid (aka Little Red)- 12 years
So, hopefully I get a new bike next year and then it will be several more years before another pair of skis. I would love to get a new jacket, but my darn Colombia jacket just keeps doing its job! Like ABC, my ski jacket is also my rainy winter jacket when I need something waterproof or extra warm. I'm sure my co-workers are tired of it, but whatever...

Like others, money spent on equipment means less funds to go use it, so :ski2:. Hmmm... should I get a season pass and ski this winter or get a new jacket? :rolleyes:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

It's actually a little embarassing, but here it goes..
  • Line Mike Nick Pro skiboards - 11 years
  • Boots - 11 years
  • Jacket - 12 years
  • Pants - last year
  • Helmet - 7 months
  • K2 True Luvs - 3 months (end of season sale)
  • Poles - 3 months (DH is using my old poles, 'cause they were a little too long for me and I got the new ones)
  • MTB Diamondback Apex rigid (aka Little Red)- 12 years
So, hopefully I get a new bike next year and then it will be several more years before another pair of skis. I would love to get a new jacket, but my darn Colombia jacket just keeps doing its job! Like ABC, my ski jacket is also my rainy winter jacket when I need something waterproof or extra warm. I'm sure my co-workers are tired of it, but whatever...

Like others, money spent on equipment means less funds to go use it, so :ski2:. Hmmm... should I get a season pass and ski this winter or get a new jacket? :rolleyes:
What's embarrassing about this^^^^^?
Looks like you're hooked up and ready to go......now about that jacket.............I'm as much (if not more) of a jacket slut as a gear Ho, so ..............lemme hook you up.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's embarrassing about this^^^^^?
Looks like you're hooked up and ready to go......now about that jacket.............I'm as much (if not more) of a jacket slut as a gear Ho, so ..............lemme hook you up.

You're right! I did switch to alpine this year and got new skis, poles, and helmet! :love: I guess it's the bike and the jacket that are a little :fear:. hehehe

Although, I did get a nice comment from a lady who wanted to buy my jacket in Alaska. hehehe

Hubby: See, you're jacket is still in style. That lady wants one like it.
Me: Um, she was 75 years old and her clothes didn't match. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I don't think I should take fashion advice from her.

Edit: Please note that my clothes won't match when I'm 75 either since they don't match now, but I'm just saying... a girl can try, right?

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get new gear whenever I feel the old stuff is holding me back or I develop problems with it. Unfortunately, new boots are on the slate for this year as my beloved Head World Cups are showing their age. I've got such a great ski and clothing quiver, I can't justify anything else, but probably will talk myself into something during the season. Oh yeah, I've already done it! I talked myself into getting another Isis Whisper jacket today on their web site (isisforwomen.com) sale-- figured I wore that jacket so often as a mid layer and as a light down around town coat I'd probably wear it out soon so needed another one.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm also in the good spot of having a nice disposable income all to myself. There's no one to justify anything to, and technical gear seems to be my downfall, how can you resist getting just the right item for the job - especially if it leads to an improvement in performance/comfort?

Up to now I have only purchased new ski gear when the old stuff gave up and died, this year much of it did - but it's been replaced by multiples. I found out my old ski jacket is no longer waterproof, now I have two brand new ones. My skis are several seasons old and have lost their camber, I have two brand new pairs. I discovered smartwool and have new socks and underwear in several colors. My boots are so old that I can't even work out how long I've had them, but they're comfortable. As soon as I start researching for replacements I'll find out I need different pairs for different conditions - or somesuch nonsense, and there will be several pairs of them. I had to swap out my neck gaiters for the new color jackets. Oh, and I have several Northface down jackets for a midlayer, who could resist them at that price in the outlet shop. So long as I don't buy another ski item for the next five years I'm fully equipped.

Jilly

Staff member
Yeah, I know a lot of people who have had problems with chair lift grease. Anyone have any remedies for getting it out?

Grime Eater. Sorry only available in Canada. But if I ever drive to a Diva function, I promise to bring a case or two!! But for anyone who is interested - 1-905-820-2255. Grime Eater Products - Mississauga, Ontario.

I updated my boots as I noted in a earlier post. But I did buy a new pair of skis too. Next year, I'm up for skis to teach on. I know my buddy at the store has something on order for me. I can't wait to try the Conquer's too. I also bought a new "winter coat" on sale. I have a great parka that was given to me by one of my suppliers. Its really warm for Tremblant, but also heavy. And a little too big. So, I'm giving it too my Dad and bought a new Alavanche parka/coaches coat. These guys make great ski clothes, so I figured they could make a good coat to wear any other time.
Basically I upgrade one major item a year. This year it was boots. Then the deal came on the skis, so that was something new. Next year is still skis for teaching and general skiing. The year after is a new suit if I really need it. Probably will. So it cycles. Add a trip out west??

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I can greatly relate to ISKI. I had my 1968 178 Head Skis for 30 years! When I finally joined the ski club here in SC, my dad suggested donating them to the Smithsonian! Since then I've bought new skis every five years. Now boots, I've only ever had one pair, C-9 (wide) Atomics, that ever fit my feet. The first day I wore them they started cysts on both ankles that had to be surgically removed. Soooo, now that Surefoot has them fitting my feet, I'll have to be desperate before I'll buy new boots again. I bought new skis the end of this season and they're great on slalom race courses, but not GS. Soooo, IF I can find some for GS that are reasonably (SALE) priced and IF I can find the $ in these tight economic times, I ~might~ become a multi pair of skis person! Poles, I've won three pair, two this season, and still have two old pair, so poles aren't really an issue.
My team jacket (Spyder) is ten years old, but when I skied with Women's Alpine Adventure and the divas at Okemo in March, it suddenly felt antiquated. Before the week was out, I found a Marmot, right size and color,on sale at Killington, so maybe I'll be fit to be seen with next season! :ski2:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I'm sorta lucky - my hubby LOVES to shop and buy me stuff, especially on E-bay or at summer sales. So, I get a new jacket every 1-2 years and now have a stable of jackets (I don't wear my ski jackets anywhere other than skiing), he's looking for another pair of Langes to replace my WC100 that are going on 3 years old, and I got 3 new pairs of skis last year. Oh, I take that back....4 pairs of skis.....I crashed and trashed my brand new back-up GS skis the very first time I used them so I had to replace them after just 1 day :Cry:.

I demo skis every year but rarely find anything that I'd prefer to have over my present quiver (although I HAD to add the Aura after my demo last year :love:).

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LilaBear, you're a hoot! Based on your history, 5 years without new acquisitions will never happen--you'll be lucky to make it to December!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LilaBear, you're a hoot! Based on your history, 5 years without new acquisitions will never happen--you'll be lucky to make it to December!!
You haven't met her! Wait! She's a blast to spend time with, on and off the slopes!!

Lilabear, it was QQ who posted the review for the powderfish gaiters. You can blame her for that purchase, even though I'm the one who bit her carrot, thus exposing you to the wonder of Powderfish!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga