• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many skis to own?

Soujan

Angel Diva
I have another pair of Look SPX12 100mm bindings waiting for the N+1 ski. I want a mid to upper 90s width ski.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I have 8 pairs of skis, 6 on the left in the photo and a pair of Kastle MX 84 and FX96 not pictured. I just ordered a pair of Stockli Nela 96 too. The AX is my daily carver and my Nela 88 is my all mountain. I use them the most. The rest of the skis were a favorite at one point but fell out of rotation. I don’t believe in having a limit on the number of skis one can have! I like to demo skis but also don’t like it because I know I will end up buying something if I try them out! I am running out of bath tub space to store them!

View attachment 22263
Are your Nela 88s truly shorter than the AXs which I can see are 154? If so why?

Jilly

Staff member
I sold my SA 88's, so down to 2 pair.
Daily driver - Rossi Hero ST Ti 159 2020
Rock skis - Rossi Hero ST Ca 161 - OLD!

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a huge fan of demoing. I've done enough demoing over the years so nowadays I"ll often buy without trying because I don't mind selling them if they don't work out. I have quite the lot of skis. I keep skis in 3 places but come summertime when "all the kids come home from college" I usualy go ok wow lol. As said above there's no magic number for skis. Demo til you find something you like. Some people have 1 pair of skis, some have 20 pairs.
Yea I’m usually the type that doesn’t mind buying and selling stuff to demo.. just seems like less work even though in theory it’s a lot more lol. And I always figure having a couple extra of something for friends or family doesn’t hurt. That’s nice to have 3 different places to keep skis at! Jealous! Haha.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
5 pairs 3 active ones that regularly get used.
One only gets used like once a year when we have deep snow, one that's too short that I keep for doing drills and for if my sister ever visits me those will be loaned to her.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm also about to be this way with boots too. I have 3 pairs with a new 4th pair on the way. I plan to sell a pair at the ski swap in the fall though.
I've done this with other hobbies, rotate things buy and sell things. Ive sold 3 pairs of skis in the past

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Nela is 152. Next size up is too long for me.
Hmmm. Interesting. If you don’t mind, would you share height and weight? I think we met at Taos last year, but in ski clothes it’s hard to tell. Im 5’5” 140#. I have Laser SCs at 149, prob too short, but chosen to force carving and because should still be fine in slow and/or firm bumps. Contemplating Nela88 at 160. I’ve been on BP88 at 159, wild Belle 154 before that, and demo’d many AM skis into low 160s no problem. I was curious why your AM ski would be shorter than your carver (which I see is a wider carver) but totally get that between sizes thing!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also thought t
I don’t see anything that says youth in the description. Their other model prodigy 2 says youth, but not on the 0.
I also thought at first that it was a youth ski. I thought Faction used 0 for youth, 1, 2, and 3 for progressively stiffer or wider. But it looks like their true youth skis have "youth" or "grom" in the name. But those are all shorter lengths. The 0 might be targeted towards teens though, as a step into the adult ski world but with a lighter weight construction than their other adult skis. The prodigy grom has a foam core, the prodigy 0 has a wood- foam core, and the prodigy 1 has a full wood core.

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. I get new boards every 3 to 4 years it seems. Some are over 10 now....eeeek. hard to retire skis that make perfect rock skis. Especially this winter. The fatter skis see little use, so they can last ten years easily.
That’s awesome.. yea I could see keeping some for a long time so I don’t mind too much having more then 2 lol, but didn’t want to feel excessive

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 8 pairs of skis, 6 on the left in the photo and a pair of Kastle MX 84 and FX96 not pictured. I just ordered a pair of Stockli Nela 96 too. The AX is my daily carver and my Nela 88 is my all mountain. I use them the most. The rest of the skis were a favorite at one point but fell out of rotation. I don’t believe in having a limit on the number of skis one can have! I like to demo skis but also don’t like it because I know I will end up buying something if I try them out! I am running out of bath tub space to store them!

View attachment 22263
Hahaha that’s an awesome place to have them! Nothing to worry about them falling onand yess I’m the same way. I know I’ll always want to buy anything I rent so would rather just buy at first and save the money lol. And I had in my mind that I could picture having that many so I'm so glad I wouldn’t be alone if in 5 years I have a collection like that haha. I’ve never heard of those brands so I’ll have to check them out!

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also thought t

I also thought at first that it was a youth ski. I thought Faction used 0 for youth, 1, 2, and 3 for progressively stiffer or wider. But it looks like their true youth skis have "youth" or "grom" in the name. But those are all shorter lengths. The 0 might be targeted towards teens though, as a step into the adult ski world but with a lighter weight construction than their other adult skis. The prodigy grom has a foam core, the prodigy 0 has a wood- foam core, and the prodigy 1 has a full wood core.
Okay yea interesting… the guy at the ski shop was the one who recommended them so I was gonna be bummed if they were forsure youth, but I agree that they seem like they’d be good for teens with the material they’re used with. Could feel every little bump on the ice hillbut in powder they seem like they’ll be good and good length to practice turning with like I need

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm also about to be this way with boots too. I have 3 pairs with a new 4th pair on the way. I plan to sell a pair at the ski swap in the fall though.
I've done this with other hobbies, rotate things buy and sell things. Ive sold 3 pairs of skis in the past
Yes I do this with other hobbies too! Recently sold a couple camera lenses to fund my van build and new ski hobby lol. I def want at least 1 more pair of boots (have 1 pair, 115 flex) and could see wanting a 3rd too. Do you have a way to ski all skis with the same boot or just a couple skis per boot with how bindings are? Curious since I’ve been trying to figure that out for myself. It does seem nice to have a ski for every situation as well as a loaner

Jilly

Staff member
I'm demo'ing on Saturday for a new daily driver, Rossi Forza 60's and maybe something around 82mm. Loved the Brahma's back in 2019 at Lake Louise. The SA 88's are just too wide for my arthritic knees.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm. Interesting. If you don’t mind, would you share height and weight? I think we met at Taos last year, but in ski clothes it’s hard to tell. Im 5’5” 140#. I have Laser SCs at 149, prob too short, but chosen to force carving and because should still be fine in slow and/or firm bumps. Contemplating Nela88 at 160. I’ve been on BP88 at 159, wild Belle 154 before that, and demo’d many AM skis into low 160s no problem. I was curious why your AM ski would be shorter than your carver (which I see is a wider carver) but totally get that between sizes thing!
I remember you and your daughter. I am 5’3” 140#. I can ski anything in the 150s to low 160s, but prefer shorter when it doesn’t affect performance.

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two pairs:

Blizzard Black Pearls with Shift bindings for piste, side country/lift accessed off-piste and short tours.

Elan Ripstick Tours with ATK pin bindings for full-day or multi-day tours.

Given that I almost never ski powder (Scotland!), both are 88 underfoot, and around the same length (BPs are 166, Ripsticks are 163). I don't feel the need to get anything wider or to vary the length. For me the reason for getting a second pair was to get something more tour-oriented for longer trips.

As I live and ski in Scotland, ALL skis are rock skis!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna