• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do you handle costs for group lodging?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If this subject has been discussed in earlier threads, please forgive me .

I know many women here travel with groups that are not family. @marzNC is probably the most perennial with her ski crew!! What I would like to know is how the group pays for their share of expenses. I have only traveled a few times with no more than three. We split the lodging three ways. However I have some buddies that want to do a trip or two and they differ on how this should be handled. I'm not a stickler for total equality regarding groceries, gas, etc. Being like that would to me, be annoying , removing the fun am spontaneity of buying lunch or drinks. But there are some that account for every dime. Does someone get the bigger bedroom?
Do they pay more? Or are ten people sharing a condo and some are on the floor and some in bedrooms? Does one person have a family member sharing a bedroom?

I'm curious. Never having had this discussion with my ski buddies as our trips were easy as pie. Any ideas you ladies can share will arm me with tried and true systems for when this might occur in my near future.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay for group trips! I’m a huge fan of Splitwise the app for this. It has a ton of functionality (including working across currencies when you’re international). I like something that lets you keep the tallying in the background and settle up everything all at once in the end. We pick up tabs in a rotation and quickly enter in the moment (or I just look at my credit card app at the end of each day or the whole trip and add my expenses before we settle).

For splitting lodging costs, I like a flat per person per night fee calculated on the full cost but it makes sense that there are variations for different circumstances. When I organize trips, I share an estimated range of $/night prior and then confirm nightly cost once everyone has committed to their stay.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I second splitwise... beats the heck out of tallying receipts.
It's really important to have a group discussion as not all groups function the same. For example, I will not pay for group alcohol as I don't drink. Should you split the condo equally? Does everyone have a bedroom or is someone on the foldout? I wouldn't want to pay the same as the person in the queen bedroom if I were on a foldout in the living room, but this is why you discuss it ahead of time. Generally we tally receipts for group food cooked in place and split evenly (minus the booze) but restaurants might be each has their own tab. You HAVE to communicate ahead of time so there are no surprises.

kkclimb

Certified Ski Diva
If this subject has been discussed in earlier threads, please forgive me .

I know many women here travel with groups that are not family. @marzNC is probably the most perennial with her ski crew!! What I would like to know is how the group pays for their share of expenses. I have only traveled a few times with no more than three. We split the lodging three ways. However I have some buddies that want to do a trip or two and they differ on how this should be handled. I'm not a stickler for total equality regarding groceries, gas, etc. Being like that would to me, be annoying , removing the fun am spontaneity of buying lunch or drinks. But there are some that account for every dime. Does someone get the bigger bedroom?
Do they pay more? Or are ten people sharing a condo and some are on the floor and some in bedrooms? Does one person have a family member sharing a bedroom?

I'm curious. Never having had this discussion with my ski buddies as our trips were easy as pie. Any ideas you ladies can share will arm me with tried and true systems for when this might occur in my near future.
Thank you for starting this conversation! My husband is no longer skiing so I’m looking forward to finding more ski buddies to do trips with. It’s helpful to hear how others feel about how costs/space should be shared.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since my trips that involve sharing lodging for trips out west have mostly been with solo travelers, the split used to be even based on the number of people for a given night. Often not everyone stayed the entire time. Lately that's shifted as the crew has grown. If someone is on a sofabed, that is usually less than if someone has a private bedroom. The majority of my travel/ski buddies have non-skiing spouses and are retired or semi-retired.

As mentioned by others, discussing the split for lodging beforehand is important.

For food and gas, my crew tend to not count pennies. We've found it best to settle sharing food costs on a day-to-day basis, as opposed to keeping track of all purchases and figuring out everyone's share at the end. Eating out, we get separate checks. If that's not possible, then one or two people pay with a credit card and others pay their share in cash or Venmo right then. Except when staying in South Fork for Wolf Creek in December, we don't cook dinners in that often. If someone rides in a private car, they pay for a tank of gas or give cash to the owner. For splitting a rental car, that's a separate calculation.

The optimal size for a crew has been 2-4 people. Meaning people who are sharing lodging, some food costs, and/or ground transportation, but not necessarily for the entire trip. We generally start planning in the spring. At least in terms of picking the destination resort and the dates.

Last edited:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly, everyone gets a bed in our group. If someone then WANTS to sleep on a couch, that's on them. We split lodging evenly and do Dutch on meals but we generally don't eat out much. I also assign things to people to bring. We all tend to overdo it so it tends to work fine.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You definitely should talk with all before you sign up to share with to lay out what each will pay and any house chores, cooking, cleanup, groceries, car rental costs, shuttle to house, gas, etc. who gets up early, who stays up late watching loud TV.. Sharing is cost effective but has it's down sides unless you know in advance! Avoid the ugly!
As for rooms, splitting is easiest, and I think normally how it's done, although there can be grumbling about who gets the suites. I got stuck in a bug infested condo to appease one who had to have a king size bed suite. the place was a dump we passed up a much less $ super nice place (no king).. I ended up in an open loft that was hotter than hell with no windows, the bathroom was 2 flights down to a shared 3/4 bath, definitely not equal bedding arrangement but was a bed. I also didn't ask for $$ when a friend we invited to stay 1 night, only to have one that was part of the original split have a fit when she was out voted to charge the friend to sleep on couch 1 night or make other friends pay for the spare bedroom in our rental- my friends even brought their own linens, food and drinks! Another trip, one didn't want to chip in 20$ for groceries then took all the left over groceries home, she never even asked if the other locals, who did pay their share and got us an awesome price on the condo if they wanted to take food back home! I know a diva who got stuck with entire condo bill when friends changed their minds on going the last minute, and the condo was non refundable! I'm still owed $$ for a rental car one in our group decided she didn't want to pay for it because it sat at the resort (alta) it took months to get 4 days of her share in the 7day rental! I've watched some order up big $$ dinners then toss in 20$ that wouldn't even pay for their drinks, they leave, sticking others with their bill! Split checks are definitely advised unless you know who you are with and make prearrangements. When I get a ride with a friend I always give $$ for gas/insurance, wear and tear on their car, it's still lots less than me renting a car. I can't stand petty, greedy stingy crap, especially on vacation! It will all come out in the wash if everyone is like minded, with a sharing mindset. Sometimes it's easier to over pay to keep peace on trips and then not travel w/the offender again.

Trip insurance should be purchased and make sure you can get lodging $$ from insurance company, if you can't go, sometimes your room can be re-rented so no one is out $$ but life happens and you should think of this before it happens, you could lose all your $$ if you can't go. Flight delays have caused me to miss nights- I still paid for those nights as I should have.

Menu planning on fly in trips is best way to go- know what everyone likes, allergies, gluten free, veggie etc. speciality items, alcohol. You do not want a ton of left overs, although I'm sure the housekeeping staff has enjoyed some of our goodies we've had to leave behind. We've always just split it up with how ever many were in the condo no penny pinching when splitting cents.

I'm now finding organized group trips w/set prices and having your own group within the bigger group to make up "your" condo are very economical and lots of fun. This year I have a few group trips out west, one is less than 2K includes RT Airfare from albany, the RT bus ride from montrose to slope side lodging at Telluride for 7 nights, a welcome party, goodie bag and more! There are no surprises or extra costs just food while there. I'm already signed up for a few trips next year, they are so simple, just get to the the airport and everything but groceries is done! Another diva has invited me to stay w/her out west, to me it's the deal of the century so yes, I will be buying her dinner (s) as appreciation for the savings she's sharing. Like wise a couple other trips- just like when I'm a guest in someone's home i bring a housewarming present, or buy them dinner out, definitely always share in the food costs. It can all be so easy!

I'm happy that I have had WAY more good trips than bad, I have met life long skiing travelling friends that I can plan ski trips with, we can just send a check; for 'how much we owe' to who ever puts it on their CC and know it all comes out in the wash.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Lodging my trips have always been calculated per person vs per room. This works fairly well, but you can end-up scoring or getting the short end of the stick. Over time I feel like it ends-up being fairly equitable, but if you are consistently getting the less desirable digs, work it out in advance of the next trip.

Rental vehicle & gasoline per person. Caveat, if you rent a vehicle and others pay for their transportation (such as a shuttle), then this is a grayer area. Your rental vehicle may be used for grocery shopping, driving to restaurants, and depending on your lodging and resort service, it could also be used to go to/fro the mountain especially if you get a large SUV that can accommodate a crowd. If you are benefitting from someone's rental, offer to throw in some cash, but they may not accept. If they decline, you can contribute in other ways in the house - just make sure you are giving as much as you are getting.

Dining out should be easy, but it isn't always. Separate checks if possible, but otherwise make sure you contribute your share. If everyone is drinking/eating similarly you can agree to split the bill evenly. If you are paying for your food/drink only, make sure you take tax/tip into account and be generous about it, especially if there were shared appetizers. It is awful when people leave dinner early, throw down some cash and don't leave sufficient funds. Those remaining are left trying to figure things out and often putting in far more than their share.

Cooking if you have a kitchen and are doing shared meals, some enjoy cooking (me!) but others don't. If you didn't cook, you can still help with prep, set the table, and do dishes. If the grocery store is close you can be looser about dinner plans, meaning how many nights you are eating in vs dining out. If the grocery shopping is quite a drive you don't have as much flexibility.

Groceries agree in advance on how you are handling. What will be shared, what won't be, and if sharing what everyone's dietary restrictions/concerns are.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much for the input everyone. Always interesting to learn about logistics.

Fortunately my small group has two chefs and two really good cooks. When we do travel the menu is planned well in advance and some of it prepared in advance and frozen. Shop for produce in city closest to condo and pick up whatever else we may want. We do not divide as to be nitpicky, but everyone chips in pretty equally overall. Now this is just among the four of us who have been together in the past. Easy peasy. But, I really appreciate the insight should the "group" expand. If it does, then the separate condo thing and separate car will come into play. Have never needed to rent a car as the trips are within a days drive.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Thanks so much for the input everyone. Always interesting to learn about logistics.

Fortunately my small group has two chefs and two really good cooks. When we do travel the menu is planned well in advance and some of it prepared in advance and frozen. Shop for produce in city closest to condo and pick up whatever else we may want. We do not divide as to be nitpicky, but everyone chips in pretty equally overall. Now this is just among the four of us who have been together in the past. Easy peasy. But, I really appreciate the insight should the "group" expand. If it does, then the separate condo thing and separate car will come into play. Have never needed to rent a car as the trips are within a days drive.
Ah…that is a horse if a different color! I was definitely responding from a flying to a destination angle.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
If you are paying for your food/drink only, make sure you take tax/tip into account and be generous about it, especially if there were shared appetizers. It is awful when people leave dinner early, throw down some cash and don't leave sufficient funds. Those remaining are left trying to figure things out and often putting in far more than their share.
This is huge !

teppaz

Angel Diva
As someone also doing group trips, I wholeheartedly endorse all of the above. I do think it’s best to settle daily expenses right away. It’s much easier while it’s fresh on everybody’s mind. Before Venmo/Zelle I was burned many times by the old “I don’t have cash on me, I’ll pay you later” line. Most of the time it was sincere but then people forget and you’re the one being put on the spot having to ask for money (something I’m not good at). This can get old fast.

Try to avoid situations where someone says something like “I’ll handle groceries, you’ll handle gas/tolls — so much simpler.” This never works!

Finally I’ve found that booze bills have started more fights and grudges than they’re worth. Best to have booze on a separate check.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
One option is to split multi BR condos by room “shares” Those who want own room for themselves or for with s.o. pay full share. Those who split room pay half share. If one room is superior with en-suite bath, views etc etc …that goes to the organizer or for a higher “share” fee. A “bunk room” holding 3-4 is still a single share divided 3-4 ways. I find that I can usually keep track of groceries, gas, nights out and can settle up amicably with like minded folk in the condo share. Large groups out at a restaurant is a whole other situation. Not all places will do separate checks. Best to ask at time of reserving…and indeed alcohol can be a source of resentment as can those who depart early. If they won’t allow separate checks folks should be told in advance to bring cash. This should be sorted out at the time of ordering, not paying. Check can be divided differently for the salad and seltzer girls compared to the beer and burger broads and always factor in 20% tip. I can be pretty bossy if I’m organizing, but it avoids folks getting shafted or feeling resentment.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@badger I usually let the person who cares the most about the details or has the most to recoup from paying up front calculate the expenses, but generally, everything is done on a per person, per night basis. In general, the people I hang out with (and I) are really good with spreadsheets, so this isn't too difficult.

Like many have said, if there is a big discrepancy between type of accommodation, then there might be a discount for the person with the most modest setup (e.g., a last minute addition who winds up sleeping on the sofa; if 4 people are in a bunk room and 1 person in an actual private room; etc.). As a perpetual single person, I have greatly appreciated calculations made per person vs. per room as that's what's made shared lodging more affordable for me than a hotel. It also means that the group seeks lodging that is more affordable than hotels *for everyone.* Moreover, my groups are often of similar economic means and values, which is really helpful when agreeing on these things. I am not inclined to travel with couples who expect me to pay more because I'm in a room by myself due to not sharing a bed with someone.

I've split costs of car rental, gas, and parking also on a per person, per day basis as well as groceries that can reasonably be described as communal, etc.

Hope this is helpful!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've often tallied manually, but last year I started using Splitwise. So convenient.
You, of course, have to be staying with people who are tech savvy because they need to actually add their receipts into the app, but that's the only real glitch I've seen with it.

Any time someone in the house goes shopping for the greater house, they add the receipt into the app and designate who is involved.
For instance, we had someone who didn't drink alcohol so they were not included in receiptes that pertained to booze.
Someone else was involved in a rental car but Phil and I were not so we were not included in that receipt.
At the end, the app tells you what to pay who, and if you load your venmo account on it, it allows you to pay through the app via venmo.
*screen shot of a house we had last winter.

IMG_1057.PNG

Last edited:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
We've often tallied manually, but last year I started using Splitwise. So convenient.
You, of course, have to be staying with people who are tech savvy because they need to actually add their receipts into the app, but that's the only real glitch I've seen with it.

Any time someone in the house goes shopping for the greater house, they add the receipt into the app and designate who is involved.
For instance, we had someone who didn't drink alcohol so they were not included in receiptes that pertained to booze.
Someone else was involved in a rental car but Phil and I were not so we were not included in that receipt.
At the end, the app tells you what to pay who, and if you load your venmo account on it, it allows you to pay through the app via venmo.
*screen shot of a house we had last winter.

View attachment 22221
What does it mean, "you borrowed" or lent? Is that if someone else paid the whole bill, and you now owe them, etc?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I've split costs of car rental, gas, and parking also on a per person, per day basis as well as groceries that can reasonably be described as communal, etc.
Would you elaborate on per day? If a condo is rented for a week and someone can only stay for part of that time, unless someone else takes over their room when they leave, they would pay for the full stay, correct? Otherwise those there for a full week may have chosen a smaller and more economical place.

At Diva West 2017 in Aspen, our newly appointed leader could only stay for the first part of the trip. I had previously stayed with another Diva who was also in that condo, and she so graciously not only shared her room, but her bed (!) with me the first night or two until I moved into the vacant room. I paid what I was told to pay, lol, but I expect I paid for the room I took over "per night" and split the cost of the shared space for the other nights.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would you elaborate on per day? If a condo is rented for a week and someone can only stay for part of that time, unless someone else takes over their room when they leave, they would pay for the full stay, correct? Otherwise those there for a full week may have chosen a smaller and more economical place.
Sure. Say the lodging is $1800 for 5 nights. That's $360/day. If there are 5 people on nights 1 through 3 and 4 people on nights 4 and 5, it's $72/person for nights 1, 2, and 3, and $120/person for nights 4 and 5.

Person A for the entire stay: (3x72) + (2x120) = 216 + 240 = 456
Person B for the entire stay: (3x72) + (2x120) = 456
Person C for the entire stay: (3x72) + (2x120) = 456
Person D for 3 nights: 3x72 = 216
Person E for 3 nights: 3x72 = 216

456+456+456+216+216 = 1800

They way I and my friends would do it is that people pay only for the nights they stay, and the people who remain pick up the difference. I get that this arrangement doesn't work for everyone, which is why it's important to make it clear up front the approach that will be taken.Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 1.25.19 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga