• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How cold is TOO cold?

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I canceled a private (and rescheduled) with a 9 yr old last night because it was 4 degrees actual with a ridiculous wind chill! Unfortunately I don't have that option for tonight and tomorrow day! Ski patrol canidates have their on hill test coming up in a few weeks so we train no matter what! I'm trying to convince myself that the flag isn't sticking straight out from the pole and the wind isn't blowing quite as hard! Bumpfreaq (from epic)is suppost to come up and ski with me again tomorrow so that will at least keep me from being tempted to call in sick (of freezing!), but the temptaion is high! I hate super cold temps! Weird things happen on the hill when it's this cold!

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied when temp was -27F at the Porkies in Michigan's U.P. It was so cold that even cold waxes didn't work well. I could point the skis straight down the black runs and not pick up speed. One run and then in to warm up was all we could handle.

Now I handle what I have to handle. If I'm enrolled in a PSIA clinic or I'm teaching a clinic at our ski hill, it doesn't matter what the temps are, since I have to be there. I was supposed to coach a high school team at a race tonight with wind chills predicted at -45F by nighttime - we told the racers not to wear their GS suits - jackets and snowpants were going to be mandatory . The hill that was to host the race just decided to close an hour ago due to weather, so it's now a non-issue.

If I'm free skiing and the sun is out, I can handle pretty much any temperature during the day, but I find night skiing to be so much less enjoyable when the temps fall below 5F. The cold seems to penetrate more quickly.

SkiRed

Certified Ski Diva
I am trying to decide where to go this Sunday in New England, where it will not be terribly cold. What forecast sites do you usually use? I tried NOAA but can't figure out how to get a local forecast.

Jilly

Staff member
Well I bailed on teaching tonight. It was -18C when I left the office. There just can't be any walk-ins tonight!! Plus the bronchititis is still with me. I'll do the weekend instead!

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am trying to decide where to go this Sunday in New England, where it will not be terribly cold. What forecast sites do you usually use? I tried NOAA but can't figure out how to get a local forecast.

Good luck with that. I have no idea how I am going to deal with the weather this weekend. I have to be out on the hill, my kids are racing boardercross at Sugarloaf, which involves lots of sitting around and waiting, so we aren't even going to keep the blood moving, you know? I am running around like crazy trying to find heavyweight base layer because we really only basic PolarMax. I have warmers for the hands, feet and "megas" with adhesive for the body... glove liners... thermos for cocoa...Ugh. It's insane.

As for forecasts, I have the Sunday River page bookmarked with the elevation for Newry if that helps...https://forecast.weather.gov/MapCli...9609375&site=gyx&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

Then there is Best Ski Weather, which you can search by resort: https://www.bostonglobe.bestskiweather.com/

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have no idea how I am going to deal with the weather this weekend. I have to be out on the hill, my kids are racing boardercross at Sugarloaf, which involves lots of sitting around and waiting, so we aren't even going to keep the blood moving, you know?

Good luck. Here is the Sugarloaf forecast:
Friday: Increasing clouds and cold, with a high near -13. Wind chill values as low as -53. Breezy, with a west wind 17 to 20 mph decreasing to between 8 and 11 mph.

Friday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -22. Wind chill values as low as -38. West wind between 11 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -7. West wind between 10 and 16 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -16.

Sunday: A chance of snow. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 7. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

The wind prediction for Saturday gives me pause. At those temps, a 16 mph wind might shut down lifts.

Doesn't USASA cancel when the weather gets TRULY dangerous? After all, participants are also waiting around for their heats.

My son had to throw down a huge jump once (years ago), it was practically DARK (mid-aft, mid-winter), and the wind was raging. He got enough air to be blown into the "fences." (drift) Last year in similar conditions at the X-Games, 2nd slopestyle run got scrubbed due to poor daylight/visibility. Not USASA, I guess :rolleyes::confused: They won't have a choice if lifts don't run. Only option might be the t-bar.

SkiRed

Certified Ski Diva
Good luck with that. I have no idea how I am going to deal with the weather this weekend. I have to be out on the hill, my kids are racing boardercross at Sugarloaf, which involves lots of sitting around and waiting, so we aren't even going to keep the blood moving, you know? I am running around like crazy trying to find heavyweight base layer because we really only basic PolarMax. I have warmers for the hands, feet and "megas" with adhesive for the body... glove liners... thermos for cocoa...Ugh. It's insane.

As for forecasts, I have the Sunday River page bookmarked with the elevation for Newry if that helps...https://forecast.weather.gov/MapCli...9609375&site=gyx&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

Then there is Best Ski Weather, which you can search by resort: https://www.bostonglobe.bestskiweather.com/

Thanks a lot! That is what I was looking for. It looks like Monday will be the best out of all days. I would really like to go skiing (and take my son), last time went before New Year's at Sunday River. Good luck on the slope with your kids!

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The wind prediction for Saturday gives me pause. At those temps, a 16 mph wind might shut down lifts.

Doesn't USASA cancel when the weather gets TRULY dangerous? After all, participants are also waiting around for their heats.

I have no idea. I know there were no plans to cancel anything the weekend we had the rain/thaw/fog, but that's not -7 and wind.

The problem with hoping they cancel, is then there was no reason for me to book a two night, on mountain stay. :rolleyes: At least there's a nice village at the base to hang out at, eat and drink and take a few popsicle turns when the wind allows. I will PM you my number and stuff. Will you even go there this weekend with the forecast? Maybe you and the DH can meet us for a drink Sat night.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
We have silver passes, blacked out this (and the following) Sat, so we wouldn't be there before Sunday, and whether we're even there then depends on temps (but looks okay, based on last weekend/early week when it was almost this cold). We have a regular group that meets up there (one whom I met here). Did the course last weekend, it was fun - the rollers are a hoot. Supposedly it's only half-completed for elements?? Not sure what the progress is at this point. My general impression, being so near both Loaf and River, is that Loaf tends to run at least 10 degrees colder, sometimes as much as 20 degrees: higher base elevation, higher summit elevation, etc.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
-12 today! The windchill is making it feel like -20!!! (Celsius)

I went to the corner store, which is only about a block away, and my nose practically froze! Who knew full-face ski masks should be worn when going to the store?!

When it gets in the negatives, I bail out on skiing. It's just not fun anymore!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We had to race last night. My car thermometer went from -4 to -8 on the way home (that would be -21 to -22 for you C people).....brrrrr.

We got an e-mail from the race director earlier in the day saying "No GS suits, NO exceptions." Apparently he didn't want to be responsible for any of us getting frost bite. In the 6 years I've raced that league, I've never had any of the directors do that. Kudos to him!

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My car thermometer went from -4 to -8 on the way home (that would be -21 to -22 for you C people).....brrrrr.

I've skied that cold, and I didn't really mind. Maybe I'm just crazy warm blooded?

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it depends on the circumstances. I skied Keystone one day last year and I remember looking at the temperature in the car as I was pulling in the parking lot and it was around -4. I thought I was crazy, but I was already committed, so I sucked it up, and it wasn't that bad.

However...it was a nice clear day with no wind to speak of. At night, and/or with any wind. HECK, NO!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied way colder than that, but standing around at the top of the hill in a lycra GS suit.......Brrrrrrrr!!!!!! (shiver)

Jilly

Staff member
There is a big race for 14 year olds tomorrow at Tremblant. Coupe Tashereau, racers coming from Quebec, Ontario and New York. GS suit mandatory as this is worth FIS points. Hope coach or parent can ski as fast to the bottom!! Not suppose to be too warm again.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
GS suit mandatory as this is worth FIS points. Hope coach or parent can ski as fast to the bottom!! Not suppose to be too warm again.
:eek::faint::brr:
Was between -40 and -50 in northern sections of Maine last night/this a.m. Cannot even imagine the temps @ Tremblant....

DH said it was -30 when he was driving to work at 6:30 a.m. Coldest night is TONIGHT, tomorrow will barely break zero. Over by Sunday!!

We started out last Saturday in -10 at the summit.
Too freakin' cold. DS calls today to say it's 50-something in Denver. :rolleyes: Good grief, +15 would feel like a heat wave right now here....

Jilly

Staff member
Long range here is calling for snow/R mix on Thursday. Yet were -20 C something tonight! Go figure.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Yup, the past few days have definitely been too cold for this dedicated ski bum! We've even had two x-c tours cancelled - it's just not fun when it's -25C (as a high!). Looks like things might start "warming" up tomorrow, and next week should be better.

Too cold to ski, so I took advantage of the free time to get my skis tuned, get a new boot tweaked, buy some fabulous underwear (Helly Hansen merino wool/polypro mix - bottoms and top) which is so comfy and warm I've only taken it off to sleep, also a new hat and gloves. So that's been my small effort to stimulate the economy.

Hmmm, do you think the economy would benefit from me buying more new skis - maybe a new jacket too? I think it will be good when I'm back on the slopes and trails and away from the stores.

SaddlebackGirl

Diva in Training
Cold!!!!

This is just too cold to ski!!! (-10 + wind) We live in Bar Harbor and the ocean just makes for a wet cold. We went out last night and set up a little jump but, it only lasted for about an hour. I hope that Monday will be a good day at Saddleback. The temps are suppose to slowly come back up!!!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm soooooo sorry for you Divas East of the Rockies. I can't imagine even thinking about skiing when it's that cold.
Think about the poor people who work at the resorts, like the lifties and the mountain hosts. They are out there in that cold for you. They don't get to move around to stay warm. They're freezing their tails off so you can ski. Be sure to say "thank you" to those employees you see - it might at least warm their hearts!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna