• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How cold is TOO cold?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Wow, it's a HEAT WAVE! :clap: +12 at Sugarloaf right now! Anything in the plus-double digits is going to feel WARM! :D

Mafia_Princess

Certified Ski Diva
It was -12 F or a little colder with windchill yesterday after 3 super cold days in a row before that. Only yesterday was it so cold that 7 hours on the hill was near miserable. I was so cold at the end of the day that I may have gone home with mild hypothermia even with my endless layers and face mask. Today was a near balmy +23 F and it was heaven. Parents were complaining about the weather, but it was gorgeous and snowy. Only powder I've gotten to see this year.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The coldest I ever went skiing was in my youth back in 1968 ... -24°C is cold but with the equipment of 1968 is VERY VERY COLD .... :rolleyes:

Today my limit is around -15°C .... if there is no wind its OK but you may have to take some stops for hot tea and warming of the feet.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump:

Old, old, OLD thread from the archives, but the weather we're having today made me think about it.

It's -10°F this morning with a wind chill at least in the minus twenties. The high is supposed to be 4°F, but not til sometime this afternoon.

I'm sitting this one out.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

Old, old, OLD thread from the archives, but the weather we're having today made me think about it.

It's -10°F this morning with a wind chill at least in the minus twenties. The high is supposed to be 4°F, but not til sometime this afternoon.

I’ve gone out in -9 degree weather before. But that’s -9 degree weather with minimal windchill and decent snow. Right now? Hard pass!

smart move!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know it is cold when there are ski areas closed in Vermont! Not the big boys, of course, but some of the smaller areas. One doesn’t want to sit outside too long on a slow chairlift in this weather.

I will have to go clean up and move my car so the plow guys can clear up better. But I’m waiting until the upstairs guests get up and move!

MissySki

Angel Diva
If it were a weekend or I was planning to ski today, I’d go out. I’ve skied in all sorts of very low negative temperatures.. if you can dress for it successfully and cover every bit of skin it works fine. Just need to keep moving.

However, it’s a random Tuesday and I’m not sad to be home working versus up North skiing today. :smile:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it were a weekend or I was planning to ski today, I’d go out. I’ve skied in all sorts of very low negative temperatures.. if you can dress for it successfully and cover every bit of skin it works fine. Just need to keep moving.

However, it’s a random Tuesday and I’m not sad to be home working versus up North skiing today. :smile:

I have a skied -30° windchill day. However I was also 20+ years younger! Those of us on the mountain sort of glorified being out there with nobody. But it was painful some of the time! Extreme cold does put stress on the body. I’m trying to keep mine alive as long as possible! :wink:

Tvan

Angel Diva
I skiied on a day when it was -20 windchill once. Been there, done that. No need to do that again.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I muchbprefer the sunny negative 20s days over the recent 30s and snow instantly melting and being soaked to the bone days where I have to put the wet gear back on after lunch and go out and teach again.

As long as skin is covered, layering is correct, and I can ski bumps or short radius I usually can handle extreme cold, especially if I can ride a gondola up instead of a surface chair.

Did wear three puffins and big puffy pants once teaching first day beginner bermudans who sweating while I was cold.

Prefer being a tad cold to overheating. Not a fan of seeing skiing all day with feet swelling in boots and sweat dripping under my work shell.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a skied -30° windchill day. However I was also 20+ years younger! Those of us on the mountain sort of glorified being out there with nobody. But it was painful some of the time! Extreme cold does put stress on the body. I’m trying to keep mine alive as long as possible! :wink:

That's definitely the best part, love the empty mountain.. just like rain days. :smile:

Bumps are good to keep the blood pumping, and trees are good to hide from the wind. Unfortunately we don't really have much of that terrain open currently with the lack of snow.. :frown:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Single digits this morning in WV. @Lmk92 and I are at Timberline. Waiting until later since we are staying slopeside. But people have been on the lifts already. Supposed to be up in the teens this afternoon with sunny skis.
Wasn’t it below zero in Taos in 2020 a couple of days???

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
-22 at Sugarloaf summit this a.m. Wind chill -50. Any veteran divas here remember that scenario?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wasn’t it below zero in Taos in 2020 a couple of days???
Frigid temps in the west with low humidity and long runs is a different situation than single digits in the southeast when a run takes 2 min or less to finish. The flip side is that it's easy to make a stop in the base lodge for a warm up after every 3-4 runs. Only one lift to the top. At Timberline in David, WV, the installation of a high-speed 6-pack to replace an obsolete double-chair was a complete game changer.

jskis190

Certified Ski Diva
Back in the day -- read young and stupid-- I skiied in -30 temps a few times. One day in Killington they were giving out balaclavas, and you could get your money back if you were out less than an hour. Spent a day at the bar instead. Then a couple very cold trips to Tremblant. The best (or worst) was the -30 in Fernie when we got stuck on the lift for 40 minutes because some kid stuck his tongue onto the chairlift bar. Haven't made it out now since 2020, but I am definitely more of a fair weather skier these days.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly