• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hiking Groups

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've decided that I want to start hiking, and have started joing some local women's groups on Facebook in an attempt to find other likeminded individuals to meet up with. My biggest apprehension with a meetup of this type for the first one is whether or not I can keep up! There is one particular group called Girls Who Hike that has individual chapters for some states and each month the ambassador of the state will have an official hike and then there may be unofficial ones as well where members post their plans and invite others etc. So there is one at the end of April that doesn't sound too bad for a newbie because it's only ~3 miles of a loop but the view is supposed to be great for MA etc. However, when I asked about the pace and whether people break up into slower and faster groups, and not wanting to slow the group down etc. I didn't get the most helpful of answers.. It was an explanation by the state's ambassador leading the hike that we stay as a group and longer more difficult hikes would be posted with pace and fitness requirements, but this type doesn't have that so it's up to "each individual whether they are up for the hike".

How would you take that response, do you think it's more of a liability stance to be so vague? I know I can do the hike itself in general as I've done much longer and more strenuous ones in the past, I'm just concerned that I may be slow compared to everyone else depending on the group and terrain because cardio has never been my strongsuit, it's been awhile since I've gone hiking, and I've never been to this specific place. I guess I expected more of a diva trip type of mentality/response where all are welcome, and there is usually someone you can ski with regardless of speed and skill etc.

Would you just go and see what happens? Has anyone tried this type of group out for hiking?

echo_VT

Angel Diva
that is so great @MissySki !

i would agree with your state ambassador. a 3 mile hike is fairly short, what does the ascent look like?

i think you should go for it and do what you can building up to it, stair climbs and such for sustained effort. i wouldn't worry about your fitness level now, but i would work on it so that at the end of April you'll be up to the task at hand. b/c the more "practice runs" or "training" you put in, the better off you'll be to tackle it in a month's time. and as long as it's no hiker left behind you should be in good company :smile:

i would practice at least 1x a week, maybe 2-3x a week leading up to it if you can find the time. i haven't tried this sort of thing out, but when i was pregnant i went on a strenuous hike that my friend signed us up for. i had no idea what i was getting into. but the big group ended up separating into a fast group and slow group and the hike was 9 miles and it was perfectly pleasant and enjoyable for us all. best of luck in whatever you decide!

MissySki

Angel Diva
that is so great @MissySki !

i would agree with your state ambassador. a 3 mile hike is fairly short, what does the ascent look like?

i think you should go for it and do what you can building up to it, stair climbs and such for sustained effort. i wouldn't worry about your fitness level now, but i would work on it so that at the end of April you'll be up to the task at hand. b/c the more "practice runs" or "training" you put in, the better off you'll be to tackle it in a month's time. and as long as it's no hiker left behind you should be in good company :smile:

i would practice at least 1x a week, maybe 2-3x a week leading up to it if you can find the time. i haven't tried this sort of thing out, but when i was pregnant i went on a strenuous hike that my friend signed us up for. i had no idea what i was getting into. but the big group ended up separating into a fast group and slow group and the hike was 9 miles and it was perfectly pleasant and enjoyable for us all. best of luck in whatever you decide!

From what I've read online it is described as a good area for people just getting back into hiking because of how short it is. However, it does also state that it has short strenuous climbs thrown in and that even though it's a short hike the difficulty is in the gain in elevation that will get your heart pumping for a relatively small mountain. Spring also can bring trail flooding and slippery rocks so depending on temps in the next few weeks we'll see if spikes are needed for ice or not.

Christy

Angel Diva
Do you know the elevation gain in feet? I think you must be a reasonably fit person, and 3 miles is short enough so that even if you had to work to keep up I bet you can. I'd be surprised if this turned out to be fast paced--if the trail is known as being for people getting into hiking, and since it's short, I'd be surprised if there were real hard chargers in the group.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would read the director's response as 'no matter how slow you go we will all stay together' and I'm thinking that actually the response was confusing because maybe she thought you were wanting to go a fast pace and were worried about being held back by others. I'm a member of a few hiking groups and its well acknowledged that if it is a group hike, everyone stays together. Period. As a new hiker to the group, you should not worry about holding others back. If they wanted to do a faster paced hike they would set one up that was specifically geared towards a faster pace (and the description would indicate that).

echo_VT

Angel Diva
ITA with @Christy - it sounds like to me that the group will stay together which indicates you'll be fine in the group regardless of your pace. this isn't a longer or more difficult hike, so fitness or pace wouldn't be a factor here.

and i see that @Kimmyt has also posted. yes i agree with her as well - i don't think you need to worry and just go to enjoy yourself/show up.

if it is guided, they may have a sweep if it is an extra large group, so if you are indeed at the end you'll have someone to talk to :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
The elevation gain looks to be around 800 feet.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your thoughtful responses. They have made me think that I might have been processing the information and answer given in the wrong way, and it is certainly worth trying it out and seeing what happens! It's short enough to push through pretty much anything no matter what. It also makes sense that if people are signing on for this type of hike they are likely not looking to go crazy fast in a group! Think I'm probably building it up to be more than it is, I'm always a bit nervous in a new group so my head tends to go to all of the worst case scenarios!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience with hiking groups, if the group is big enough, everyone will naturally break into groups that match their desired pace. I also agree with @Kimmyt 's take.

Another strategy, though, if you're worried about pace, is to join a group that's obviously more laid back. I hiked with a group called something like "Trailhead & Beer Recon Group" when I first moved out to CO, where the hikes were really just preludes to going to a brewery. I'm sure you can find some similar social groups that happen to go hiking in your area.

Jenny

Angel Diva
In my experience with hiking groups, if the group is big enough, everyone will naturally break into groups that match their desired pace. I also agree with @Kimmyt 's take.

Another strategy, though, if you're worried about pace, is to join a group that's obviously more laid back. I hiked with a group called something like "Trailhead & Beer Recon Group" when I first moved out to CO, where the hikes were really just preludes to going to a brewery. I'm sure you can find some similar social groups that happen to go hiking in your area.
Sounds like my parents' church softball team that was really just an excuse for the post-game ice cream.

newboots

Angel Diva
There was a Meetup group out of the Boston area that had “turtles” in its name. Fun group, nobody left behind, slow and steady. 10C19B70-9C84-4D8F-A479-D35C8D79CB59.jpeg

Dogs were welcome, too. It was a good crowd for pizza and beer afterward. I don’t know if they’re still around.

I love working out by doing stairs. Just be careful going down! It’s the fastest and easiest way for me to gain endurance. But this hike sounds like you should be fine!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll be fine! I know you'll have fun and sounds like the views are worth the trek and hopefully you'll meet new friends to show you some other cool hikes. Also even though I'm 'nopoleskier' I will say just like skiing Hiking w/poles makes the hike easier on steeper parts and very nice on the knees on the way down. My hiking poles (adjustable) are my winter ski poles. I like my camel back for water and take a small fanny pack on short hikes. Can't wait to hear and see photos!!

Tvan

Angel Diva
+1 on the hiking poles and taking water. I usually stick an RXbar in a pocket along with a fully charged phone.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oh and it's fun to learn to use a compass and learn reading topo maps of where you are..
I did a lot of bushwacking and setting a compass 'to my car' was invaluable when you're in the woods and it's getting dark.. (gps hand held don't work in deep woods)

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sure you'll be just fine! I also do a lot of hiking in the summer, and while my hikes with my older kids are pretty strenuous, the hikes with my youngest are at a much slower pace. If you don't mind playing some (aka a LOT of) games of 20 questions, I spy, etc., you would be welcome to join us sometime. We are usually somewhere in the Whites on the weekends.

MissySki

Angel Diva
+1 on the hiking poles and taking water. I usually stick an RXbar in a pocket along with a fully charged phone.

I have Leki adjustable poles I've used on winter hikes and snowshoing etc. They came with tiny baskets and I've added powder baskets. Do you guys see a benefit in getting the little rubber foot bottoms for summer usage??

MissySki

Angel Diva
oh and it's fun to learn to use a compass and learn reading topo maps of where you are..
I did a lot of bushwacking and setting a compass 'to my car' was invaluable when you're in the woods and it's getting dark.. (gps hand held don't work in deep woods)

I'm actually signed up for a women's backcountry map and compass class put on by REI in May. I spoke to them about it and it sounds really cool. It's 6 hours outside and includes topographical maps as well and some bushwacking. Also posted it to the women's facebook group I mentioned and people seemed interested, so I'm hoping some may join in.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm sure you'll be just fine! I also do a lot of hiking in the summer, and while my hikes with my older kids are pretty strenuous, the hikes with my youngest are at a much slower pace. If you don't mind playing some (aka a LOT of) games of 20 questions, I spy, etc., you would be welcome to join us sometime. We are usually somewhere in the Whites on the weekends.

Aww thanks for that! I will definitely keep the offer in mind as things get going! :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna