• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hiking Groups

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Leki adjustable poles I've used on winter hikes and snowshoing etc. They came with tiny baskets and I've added powder baskets. Do you guys see a benefit in getting the little rubber foot bottoms for summer usage??

my rubber thingy's fell off long ago.. I use the poles same in winter and summer. I don't even change the baskets LOL

MissySki

Angel Diva
my rubber thingy's fell off long ago.. I use the poles same in winter and summer. I don't even change the baskets LOL

Haha good to know! I think at one point I more considered getting the rubber things because the tips are quite scratchy/sharp so I wondered if I should get something to cover them to prevent gear tears or injury when they'll be around me in less clothing than when using them in the winter when I'm all bundled up for skiing/snowshoeing/winter hiking! :tongue:

newboots

Angel Diva
I've never used hiking poles - I like to have my hands available for scrambling. Are they helpful even when you're crawling over ledge? I always imagined they would get in the way.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I always use a hiking pole especially in the Tahoe desolation Forest... and use rubber grips when on bits of granite .. easy to remove when back on dirt.
Poles absorb shock on the downhill so much easier on the knees. Mine are komperdell and I only use one!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I often use mine when hiking with my toddler in a backpack. I have ones that collapse down and then I just strap them to the side of the pack during scrambly bits

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never used hiking poles - I like to have my hands available for scrambling. Are they helpful even when you're crawling over ledge? I always imagined they would get in the way.

Yes, you can simply let them dangle by the wrist straps if you need hand-holds, or for a longer scramble, collapse them and strap them to your pack. I don't usually carry poles on a day hike, but if I'm carrying an overnight pack I always do. They help with balance and stability. There's tripping and falling, then there's tripping and falling with 30 pounds on your back that's coming down with you. The poles help me avoid that sort of fall. As a side benefit, using them keeps your hands from swelling.

@MissySki At some point I figured out that I can cover about 2 miles in an hour if the terrain is moderate. That has been very helpful in determining whether my pace is right for a particular group hike. I adjust my speed for the elevation gain informally, but it's good to have a baseline number to give trip leaders. If you can measure your average hiking speed (and I'm sure there's an App) it may make joining group trips less intimidating or uncertain.

I'm in central Vermont; if you ever want company for a hike on the Appalachian Trail or some local loops here, including Mt. Ascutney give a holler. The VT section of the AT is GREAT for newer hikers and backpackers. Moderate terrain, gorgeous views, and a varied ecosystem.

Good luck!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@SallyCat thank you, I will definitely want to hike in the beautiful Vermont mountains!

@MsWax and anyone else local, perhaps look into joining the Facebook group "Girls Who Hike MA" if you are on Facebook and interested. From what I can see so far, the women here also plan hikes in New Hampshire, so it's not strictly MA locations. Of course I can't say anything about the trips or everyone is great until I actually start participating, but seems pretty cool and just starting to ramp up if you are interested in meeting other ladies to hike with. Some hikes are also pet and child friendly, etc.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone have a compass recommendation? There sure are a lot of options.

When I backpack I bring a teeny, tiny compass the size of the home button on an iPhone. I just used it to make sure I was walking the right direction on the trail. For orienteering I use the Suunto A-10. There are fancier, pricier versions, it just depends what you want to use it for.

Last edited:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a basic one, nothing fancy, it's clear so can be set on a topo map, it also has a dial to be able to 'set the dial" to my car, so no matter what I will be able to go back to the car just in case I've gotten off the trail. I did a lot of bush whacking when I was a BTI Tech. (black fly treatment) I have a battery operated garmin GPS very fun to use and mark way points, but if it's too cloudy it can't find the satellites and becomes useless and need the compass.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I definitely don't want to rely on my phone, especially until I get a new one. My iphone is a 6 plus which I love, but the battery has become completely unreliable, especially if it's cold. I know there are apps that let you download maps for offline use which could be beneficial, but I wouldn't rely on cell reception in the northern new England mountains, it can be really really sketchy depending where you are. Eventually I'm sure I'll get into gps apps on a new phone or a dedicated gps device, but right now I'd like to concentrate on being able to navigate with a compass and topographical map. I think it's a good skill to learn so you can have it to fall back on if technology fails you.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

MissySki

Angel Diva
Suunto makes good compasses. I have one similar to this, it's pretty basic. But it works fine.
https://www.rei.com/product/890929/suunto-a-10-compass

Maybe you should check out a local orienteering group. It's a good way to learn and practice those skills. Might be a good thing to meet like-minded peeps, too.

Look, you can do it on skis too! https://orienteering.org/ski-orienteering/

That seems intriguing and difficult!! Didn't even know this existed. Interesting! We'll see how the REI class goes to start. haha Looking forward to it though! I keep going back and forth between thinking 6 hours in the woods for a class seems like a huge amount of time and then thinking how I'm kind of directionally challenged and how it probably won't be anywhere near enough time either lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly