• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help! Painful boot issue - can you recommend a boot for "unstandard" foot?

Inessa

Diva in Training
I need some advice :injured:. I get severe pain on the outer sides of my feet when skiing (sorry I don't know the term for that part of the foot). Sometimes it is so bad I have to sit down on the snow and rest before I can go on.

I get this pain in my nice new expensive boots that have been molded, stretched, and cause no pain when trying on. I think it becomes painful because of the turns.

I don't know the reason for it. Maybe the boots were stretched too much? Maybe it is a wrong boot design for me. Or maybe I am just skiing in a wrong way?

When I use rental boot it is better, but not fully gone.

I have a low sitting wide ankle, and I think maybe my foot is wider towards the front than normal. Can anyone recommend the boot that would fit my type of foot best?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take yourself and your boots to a qualified boot fitter. If they're too big, there's not much anybody can do, but if they're too small, a fitter can take care of that.

You say pain on the outside of the foot, but you don't say if it's under the foot, on top of the foot, near the toes, or near the heel. My guess is that your foot is rolling inside the boot (pronation) causing the outside pain. A boot fitter can help you with that, too. It may be an alignment issue as well.

If you didn't get your boots from a store with a great bootfitter, be prepared to spend $$$ to get them fitted. If you did, they should take care of the problems free of charge, unless you just need footbeds.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is it a crampy type feeling only relieved by taking pressure off? It sounds like they are just not wide enough. I have feet that flare out big time up front...not a good feeling I'm all too familiar with. If they are wide enough I'd say you just do not have enough total volume in there and some veins or nerves are getting too much pressure.

Like Volklgirl said...fitting time.

-veggielasagna

PowDiva85

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
they could be too narrow but if your foot is collapsing inside the boot then blowing the boot out will just give you more space to collapse into and there by not solving the problem. If the boots felt ok in the store and I would say its probably a balance issue. Your bindings are probably tipping you too far forward causing too much pressure on the forefoot and in your case the outside of the forefoot. What boot is it?

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What type of footbed do you have in your boot? A custom footbed might help if your foot is twisting when you ski. Also, sometimes when you are tense when you ski, your foot can cramp up too.

But, all of that said, I also think a bootfitter is the person to help you figure out the problem.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
You also might want to consider a custom inner boot. I was having excruciating problems with my right ankle, and ended up with Zipfit liners. Haven't had a problem since, thank goodness because it was really awful before. There is also another liner I think called the Intuition.

Again, you need a good bootfitter but ask about custom liners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga