• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

badger1993

Diva in Training
Hi! I need some advice on skis!

I demoed the Santa Ana 93 (151) while I was in whistler and loved them! but then we had a few big powder days and I wanted to try a wider ski in those conditions so I switched to the Blizzard Black Pearl 97 (153). I really liked the black pearl but felt they didn't have the same "bounce"/energy when carving/turning. Otherwise, I really loved them. I ended up buying the Santa Ana 98's 2024 (151) without trying them because I could get them heavily discounted in Whistler ($200 for brand new skis!) but I am just a little nervous about having bought them without trying.

Do you think I made the right call based on your experience? Of note, I am 5'3 and an intermediate/advanced skier (mostly blues and blacks) in Seattle Washington. I ski west coast - mostly Stevens/Crystal on weekends and go to Whistler for 1 week a year - I also have friends I visit in Colorado to ski with. I feel more comfortably on a wider ski, but I want a ski that can handle both powder days and ice/slush. I ski mostly groomers (about 75% groomers and 25% off piste) but I know that on our more powder/snow days out here, sometimes our groomers don't stay that "groomed".

I found someone selling slightly used Black Pearl 97's (153) and am wondering if I should buy these and return my Santa Ana 98's before I mount them. I just can't decide what to do and would really appreciate any input!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The SA 98 does everything the 93 does, but a little better. I owned both and the 98 will be more versatile for powder days (especially in the PNW.) I skied the BP 97 and found them to be a lot of work and not much fun. I actually regret selling my SA 98s, even though I didn't use them that often. When I did, they were fantastic.

badger1993

Diva in Training
The SA 98 does everything the 93 does, but a little better. I owned both and the 98 will be more versatile for powder days (especially in the PNW.) I skied the BP 97 and found them to be a lot of work and not much fun. I actually regret selling my SA 98s, even though I didn't use them that often. When I did, they were fantastic.
Wow! Thank you so much! I am starting to feel better about my purchase!

Out of curiousity - why didn't you use your SA 98's that often? I am hoping to use them as an all mountain ski - one that can handle typical groomers but also the occasional powder days we get here in the PNW/Whistler/Colorado.

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Thank you so much! I am starting to feel better about my purchase!

Out of curiousity - why didn't you use your SA 98's that often? I am hoping to use them as an all mountain ski - one that can handle typical groomers but also the occasional powder days we get here in the PNW/Whistler/Colorado.
I prefer a narrower ski for my daily ski and only bring out the wider skis on powder days. I can get around on an 88 under foot in most conditions, and go even narrower at times. I do have a Sheeva 9 now which is 96 under foot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga