• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

help needed with ski purchase

katie27

Diva in Training
Hi.
I'm new to this forum. I am a 42 year old skier living in the SouthEast. I ski once or twice a year in Colorado.
I would rate myself as a confident intermediate skier who does not venture off the groomed trails much.
I am tired of rentals and would like to purchase some skis.
I am leaning towards the K2 One Luvs but am open to suggestions.
If I went with the one luvs, what size???
I am 5'9" and 140lbs.

Of course, living in the Southeast, there is no option for Demo-ing before I head to Snowmass in March.
Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Katie Kulp

(p.s. I already have a great pair of Salomon boots)

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are quite a few Divas here who are very happy with their One Luvs. I'd also recommend looking at the Dynastar Exclusive line, they do a good job with women-specific skis. I can't weigh in on the length issue, but you can check out the ski length sizing guide, which is in this Ski Gear forum, I believe. There's also a thread titled "K2 sizing question" or similar.

And on the other hand, you should be able find some demos at Snowmass. I've never been there but there are undoubtedly some good ski shops around. You could probably even make arrangements ahead of time. Unless, of course, your desire to stop renting includes demo-ing.

BackOnTrack

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Katie,
I just picked up a pair of the Salomon Topaz and I loooove them. I demo'd the K2 One Luvs and they are a great ski, they just didn't work for me as well as the Topaz do. After reading lots of reviews here (thanks ladies, very helpful!) and on various other sites I demo'd several different skis and there was such a huge difference in how the skis responded to ME that it wasn't much of a decision. These skis are great in the open, hold an edge in ice really well, floated me over the powder, zipped through the crud, sailed me through the bumps, oh it was lovely lovely lovely. Great on groomers and fabulous enough everywhere else that I'll probably find myself off the groomers more and more.
Having said that, just as the K2s didn't work for me, these Salomons might not work for you. After reading so many different reviews of so many different skis, and then having my own experience on some of them, I think a lot of it boils down to individual variation.
I like Jaydog's idea of making arrangements in Snowmass ahead of time- if you're going to be there for several days you could try a couple of different skis and hopefully find a pair that make you sing.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga