• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me make my dream demo list?

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Coming back to this old thread of mine to say that even though it took me until a whole year later to get out and demo, at the end of it alI did in fact demo and buy the Elan Ripstick 88! I ended up with the men’s version in 172 (because the shop was out of the women’s 170) and skied my first day on them today. I am pleased with my choice, and the length is definitely right. (Pictured below next to my old skis, which look COMICALLY tiny now. Hahaha.) Despite the increase in length and width, the Ripsticks are actually quite a bit lighter than my Atomic Vantages. Plus the Ripsticks have a lot more rocker, front and back. I definitely have more stability on the new skis (ya think???), and they have a really nice energy to them . Looking forward to getting to know them better with what little season is left here!

View attachment 20540

Just for fun.

View attachment 20541
that is QUITE a difference in size! I bet they feel SO stable

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
Which width is the Wingman? I have the Wildcat 86, which is the women’s version. The men’s ski uses a titanal reinforcement whereas the women’s uses carbon. In either men’s or women’s, some versions come with carbon rods (CTi and CX, respectively) and some don’t (Ti and C). So just know that depending on which model they have, there may be a stiffer or lighter version available. I haven’t skied the Ripsticks, but hear good things. I’ve really enjoyed the Wildcats thus far and would love to hear how someone else likes this line from Elan (even if the men’s version instead).

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Which width is the Wingman? I have the Wildcat 86, which is the women’s version. The men’s ski uses a titanal reinforcement whereas the women’s uses carbon. In either men’s or women’s, some versions come with carbon rods (CTi and CX, respectively) and some don’t (Ti and C). So just know that depending on which model they have, there may be a stiffer or lighter version available. I haven’t skied the Ripsticks, but hear good things. I’ve really enjoyed the Wildcats thus far and would love to hear how someone else likes this line from Elan (even if the men’s version instead).
Wingman comes in multiple widths, multiple internals. Biggest seller a couple of years ago at my local shop was the Wingman 86 CTi.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Coming back to this thread one last time now that I've gotten a few days under my belt on the Ripstick 88s. They have really made a big difference in my skiing. I know that equipment can't make up for lack of technique and I have PLENTY of work to do, but I feel like I'm so much better set up to succeed on progressing with the skills I've been working so hard on this year. Both my husband (who is a lifetime skier) and my daughter's instructor (who I did a lesson with myself once upon a time last year) commented on the significant improvement in my skiing these last few times out together -- so I don't think it's just a placebo effect! :rotf:

The increased stability is decreasing my impulse to rush my turns, and I feel more confident picking up a bit of speed. And more speed is even just POSSIBLE -- on my old skis, one of the things I noticed at the women's clinic was that even when we were all just cruising with skis pointed downhill, no turning to mitigate speed, I was just soooooo much slower than everyone else.

I had a very proud moment on what passes for a black diamond on our miniscule hill yesterday where I was traversing across in some chop and my inside ski took a big, unexpected bump. Even though my inside knee practically bounced up to my chest, I had my weight on the outside ski and forward enough to roll with it and stay totally on track -- that would not have been possible a year ago, I don't think. So, yay for progress and yay for demoing and yay for not being overly influenced by ski shop dudes who were very skeptical than I really wanted a 172 cm ski, because now I have a much better tool for the job and it's awesome!
Yes, they are a game-changer. I was on mine yesterday, and, granted, while snow conditions were top notch, I found myself urging the skis to...screw up. I made deliberate mistakes - ones that would dump me on other skis - just to see how the skis would respond. Wow. Happy skis. Put me right back on track. Yes to the speed (if requested, happily complied). I can't say enough good things about the Elan Ripstick 88w.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna