• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me decide! Tremblant this weekend.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all! Am so torn. Have plans to ski Tremblant this weekend. But looking at the forecast it’s going to be frigid. Not sure if worth driving the 10 hours up and down from NJ to ski over the long weekend if it ends up being icy (how are conditions now? Anybody know? I thing they haven’t had fresh snowfall in a while - are they still making snow?) or if it ends up being to cold/ dangerous to ski. It’s a high of 10F on Sat around 15F on Sunday. Hmm. Thoughts? Alternative is to stay local and hit PA mountains on Friday and Monday since we are blacked out over the weekend but I suspect it will be busy .

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I personally would only be worried if I didn't have the proper clothes. I've skied in -10F, and it wasn't irregular last season to ski in 10F-15F. I'd concentrate on the proper layers if you're going. I wear two base layers + shell bib then mid layer with a jacket over that. I'd probably break out my insulated mittens too or liners + gloves.

You say "we" though and I see you're a mama. Any really young kids? Or less enthusiastic kids? Cause that'd probably make or break my decision.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very perceptive of you! Good question. A very cold tolerant 11 and 13 year old! And yes we do have the clothes for it. But you have a point I should pack one extra layer if we go

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very perceptive of you! Good question. A very cold tolerant 11 and 13 year old! And yes we do have the clothes for it. But you have a point I should pack one extra layer if we go
You won't regret taking the extra layer even if you don't use it. If you have extra balaclavas, bring those too. I find them essential for comfort in really cold temps, but they tend to be brought up over the mouth in those temps and for my family that can result in wet/frozen balaclavas. Skiing with a frozen face is miserable as you well know.

Also remember it's a vacation. If you guys aren't having fun, take it easy, go to a hot cocoa break in the lodge and regroup. I think you definitely can have a good time even in those temps with the right layers and more importantly, the right attitude. If you have cold tolerant kids (and I'll count myself lucky, as mine is too!) and you all were looking forward to this, I think you could go and have made some wonderful on the snow memories.

That said, I can't comment directly on the conditions at Tremblant. Isn't that @Jilly 's home mountain?

Jilly

Staff member
Looking at the Weathernetwork, the temps appear to me to be normal for this time of year. I will warn you that it will be crowded. American holiday week and long weekend for Ontario residents. And maybe a little snow to refresh.

If you can get "first tracks" tickets I would advise it. Dress warm and go.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi all! Am so torn. Have plans to ski Tremblant this weekend. But looking at the forecast it’s going to be frigid. Not sure if worth driving the 10 hours up and down from NJ to ski over the long weekend if it ends up being icy (how are conditions now? Anybody know? I thing they haven’t had fresh snowfall in a while - are they still making snow?) or if it ends up being to cold/ dangerous to ski. It’s a high of 10F on Sat around 15F on Sunday. Hmm. Thoughts? Alternative is to stay local and hit PA mountains on Friday and Monday since we are blacked out over the weekend but I suspect it will be busy .

Have you taken the kids to Tremblant before? What do they want to do?

Based on how crowded Massanutten was last weekend, and the snow that fell in NJ/NYC recently the Poconos could be VERY crowded over Pres. Day weekend, including on Friday. In general Friday is more crowded than it used to be with more parents having the flexibility of WFH.

Easier to avoid a crowd at a large resort like Tremblant than at any hill in PA. Much more of an adventure for a couple of tween/teen kids. I've found that once the children get to middle school, it gets harder to plan a ski long weekend. By high school they have other interests that make it harder to do much more than a spring break ski trip.

Have you ever visited Lake Placid? It's right on the way. Could take a quick detour and take a look at Whiteface if the driving weather is good. With good visibility, it's impressive because it's a steeper mountain than most in the northeast.

Good luck with your decision.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Given the forecast for NY for the next snowfall, driving weather on the Northway, I-87, is a consideration too. Past Albany there isn't as much traffic to keep a lane clear after snowplows go through.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We love tremblant and have been there a few times! I am actually heading up to blue today with some girlfriends to beat the holiday crowds in PA. Can you clarify what you mean by driving conditions in NY?

marzNC

Angel Diva
We love tremblant and have been there a few times! I am actually heading up to blue today with some girlfriends to beat the holiday crowds in PA. Can you clarify what you mean by driving conditions in NY?
Well, the recent snowstorm really messed up driving in parts of NJ and even Long Island from what I read on the NYSkiBlog forum.

Suggesting you check the weather forecast for Albany and Montreal as part of your decision process for whether or not to make the long drive to Tremblant.

I've driven on the Northway heading to Lake Placid from NC in the winter time a few times in the last decade. My daughter went to North Country School 2013-16, which is also where I went to middle school. Driving on the NY Thruway and I-87 is no fun at all in a snowstorm.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
If your kids are cold tolerant, I say go for it. We ran into the same issue with a weekend away in NH, with temps around zero. Our kids were around the same age as yours so we followed their lead about taking breaks to warm up. We layered up and took hot cocoa breaks and ended up having a great time.

Ski4life

Diva in Training
Tremblant hasn’t had fresh snow in awhile. It’s a very hard base very fast skiing. It’s usually cold at Tremblant. I would ski Jay Peak and avoid the drive

Jilly

Staff member
Forecast is for 8 cm tomorrow. And more over the weekend. Grooming has been great. If you're after glades....go elsewhere.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope just going after long wide green runs over there :smile: as long as it’s not icy we are probably good to go. I was in blue Mt PA today. It was more hard packed than I expected after the storm yesterday. So I see what you mean by fast snow.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We don’t drive out till Friday so I suspect the roads will be fine. I also don’t see major precipitation this week so hopefully that means the roads will be clear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga