• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DWest

Certified Ski Diva
I am looking to purchase a used pair of skis, new boots, bindings, polls and don't want to spend too much. I REALLY need some advice as to what some of the best set ups would be and understand there are many variables to take into account. I may also do a couple demo days this winter but would LOVE any feedback I can receive. Here are my stats: woman skier, beginner advancing to intermediate - I can do the greens easily and blues I'm getting there. I am now connecting turns (no more snow plow for me) and really want a ski to advance me to the next level but I am a mellow skier and prefer mostly groomed alpine trails in the west (California) so capable of working well in fresh powder too. I am 5 feet 7 inches and weigh 128 lbs. Looking at used pairs of Rossingnol, Volkl, Atomic, Salomon, Head. I've been told an all-mountain ski, 155cm would be good but don't know about the width?? Also I'm a size 10 women shoe so think 27 is the right size. I'll go try on boots and figure that one out but help with the ski brand, style, size!!? THANK YOU and happy skiing!!

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world!!

The Ski Diva mantra is to demo, so you're on the right track there. And boots first....absolutely first thing. You don't say where you are in Cali, but some our Cali diva's can help you with a good boot place.

All the manufacturer's you've listed are good. But model names are what you need. So what models have you seen and are interested in?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Date your skis, marry your boots." Boots are where you do not want to skimp.

Speaking of which -

Also I'm a size 10 women shoe so think 27 is the right size.

I'm between a size 10 and 10.5 US women's, and my boots are 25.5. Almost every beginner's first boots are too big. Don't make that mistake. Go to a boot fitter - not just a place that sells boots - and get a professional fit.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hi,

I'm in Tahoe a lot in the winter, and I really like Daryl at Elite Feet at Northstar...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Argh, somehow got cut off. Anyway, here's my advice: you seem to be more concerned about the particulars of your skis than your boots. Flip that around. Find a reputable boot fitter in your area. Do not pay one iota of attention to color. Expect your boots to feel very tight compared to street shoes or even running shoes - they should fit like a firm handshake. Boots are not footwear. They are part of the system that controls your skis by translating your movements through the binding and into the ski. Not dissimilar to prosthetics (I'm drinking wine, so I may be stretching here). Being able to walk in ski boots is important, but a distant second. Their primary job is to help you ski better.

Honestly, you are way better off with the right boot and just about any ski than with the right ski and the wrong boot.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also 155cm for 5'7 seems short, especially for a carver ... maybe for a beginner that's right? @Jilly ?

Jilly

Staff member
Depends on the ski, but she could go a little longer if it's the right ski. I'm 5'4 and on 161 with rocker.

Welcome. My first pair of boots were too big and i have since found a bootfitter i trust and havent looked back. I gave an 8 to 8.5 shoe and my ski boots are 23.5. Make an appointment with a bootfitter in your region. You will get lots of good recommendations here.

I am going into my 5th year skiing and comfortably ski blues. I am 5'6" and weigh 175lbs. For the first 3 years i was skiing i skied short 148cm skis. Now all my skis are 163-164cm with tip rocker. You are a lot lighter than me but we are close in height. Shorter skis will provide better maneuverability but others can advise what they think might be a good length for you.

You name some great brands but are you considering certain models.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Boots boots boots - definitely that is the most important. And not just from any store - an experienced bootfitter is the best person to help you out with getting a good pair. This is especially important when you are starting out. Your foot has to have good contact with the ski, so the ski can respond. Where are you exactly? I'm sure that there are divas on the site who can give you specific bootfitter recommendations if you let us know where exactly you are located.

As for the boots, 27 I think will be too big. I'm a women's size 11, and wear a 26.5 atomic boot. 155 is seems a little short as a length, but I think you want to aim at least for a 160. I'm your height, advanced skier and ski a 170+. Best thing to do is to start off with a good bootfitter, and then a good pair of skis you can progress on, preferably 80-85 underfoot, maybe with some tip rocker to make it easier to turn, and allow you to try different kinds of snow conditions (soft, powder etc)...

Jenny

Angel Diva
My first boots were a 27, bought at a ski swap, with no knowledge,of anything and a friend saying how do those feel? One of them totally came off my foot at Keystone, still attached to the ski, I think. My shoes are a 10. Current boots are 25.5, which was good in most of them I tried on but would have severely crunched my toes in one brand.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where are you in California? If you are in skiing in the Tahoe area, there are a few of us that give bootfitter recommendations and ski recommendations that are appropriate for an intermediate navigating Sierra snow.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here are my stats: woman skier, beginner advancing to intermediate - I can do the greens easily and blues I'm getting there. I am now connecting turns (no more snow plow for me) and really want a ski to advance me to the next level but I am a mellow skier and prefer mostly groomed alpine trails in the west (California) so capable of working well in fresh powder too. I am 5 feet 7 inches and weigh 128 lbs.
You'd probably want ski waist in the 75-85mm range for now. 150cm-160cm is probably the right range for the length for you as well. You will probably outgrow them within a few years, so I support your decision to go used; even then, this range of skis will serve you well on icy days.

But, more importantly: What skis have you rented? How did you like them? In what conditions did you dislike them?

I'm a Rossi Temptation fan, and the Temptation 80 or 82 will work well, and are often available steeply discounted; they are good skis to grow on. Temptation 75 are the same as Experience 75, which are a popular rental model and work well for most beginners and early intermediates, but are too narrow for soft snow and too soft for advanced learning. Other manufacturers have equivalent models. Evo has a great search engine that will show you similar models, and are a good reference for old, discontinued models because they do not delete their product pages; search through google with evo.com in the search field and the skis you are looking at, and you will find the specs. You want skis that are "intermediate" or "intermediate to advanced", "medium" flex, and "all mountain" rather than "front side".

For boots, just as important as size is flex. Try for boots in the 70-80 flex range. Lean forward and make sure you can bend the cuff fairly easily, and make sure you don't feel like the cuffs are throwing your forward or keeping you back. (In the cold, they will be stiffer, especially the more transluscent ones.)

To measure your boot size, trace the outline of your foot on a piece of paper, and measure the longest and widest bits in centimeters. You may be surprised; my preferred shoe size is a whole size larger than what my "mondo size" will suggest. The width is your "last", and you want boots that are wider than your feet, but not more than 5mm or so. Unlike with shoes, you want your toes to be gently touching at the tip when you are leaning forward, with your heel firmly planted in the back.

Be sure to smell the boots before you buy them! They are often moldy. I wouldn't buy used boots, to be honest.

Hope this helps, and, again, welcome to the forum!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am looking to purchase a used pair of skis, new boots, bindings, polls and don't want to spend too much. I REALLY need some advice as to what some of the best set ups would be and understand there are many variables to take into account. I may also do a couple demo days this winter but would LOVE any feedback I can receive. Here are my stats: woman skier, beginner advancing to intermediate - I can do the greens easily and blues I'm getting there. I am now connecting turns (no more snow plow for me) and really want a ski to advance me to the next level but I am a mellow skier and prefer mostly groomed alpine trails in the west (California) so capable of working well in fresh powder too. I am 5 feet 7 inches and weigh 128 lbs. Looking at used pairs of Rossingnol, Volkl, Atomic, Salomon, Head. I've been told an all-mountain ski, 155cm would be good but don't know about the width?? Also I'm a size 10 women shoe so think 27 is the right size. I'll go try on boots and figure that one out but help with the ski brand, style, size!!? THANK YOU and happy skiing!!
If you've been reading other threads about buying skis, it may be that the reason for demo'ing is becoming more obvious. You've listed five major brands of ski. I've demo'd and/or bought skis from those brands. I love two of the brands and find skis from a couple of the brands do not suit me at all. Just because two models are about the same length and width does not mean they are equivalent.

Since you are relatively light, Rossignol and Head would be my suggestion to check out first. The Head Joy line comes with pretty nice system bindings, so that makes the purchase decision a little simpler.

DWest

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome. My first pair of boots were too big and i have since found a bootfitter i trust and havent looked back. I gave an 8 to 8.5 shoe and my ski boots are 23.5. Make an appointment with a bootfitter in your region. You will get lots of good recommendations here.

I am going into my 5th year skiing and comfortably ski blues. I am 5'6" and weigh 175lbs. For the first 3 years i was skiing i skied short 148cm skis. Now all my skis are 163-164cm with tip rocker. You are a lot lighter than me but we are close in height. Shorter skis will provide better maneuverability but others can advise what they think might be a good length for you.

You name some great brands but are you considering certain models.

Okay, so BOOTS are my primary. As for models, I think I'll just grab a demo one but found some on ebay - Rossingnol Temptation, Volkl Essenza and Playa and Oceana or Attiva (cheap), Head Cool Thang (although hear Joy is good), Rossingnol Unique System, Nordica Infinite...thoughts?

DWest

Certified Ski Diva
Where are you in California? If you are in skiing in the Tahoe area, there are a few of us that give bootfitter recommendations and ski recommendations that are appropriate for an intermediate navigating Sierra snow.

Yes we'll be skiing in Tahoe...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Tahoe is usually where we go so I'll head to Daryl. THANK YOU!!
Think you will also enjoy skiing Northstar. Front side has really nice intermediate runs, backside is advanced but on the easier side, except maybe the trees and ungroomed runs. The Lookout section is more advanced with one blue groomed run that is more challenging than blues on the front side. The blacks are mostly ungroomed with maybe one groomed over there.
Hope this helps!

DWest

Certified Ski Diva
You'd probably want ski waist in the 75-85mm range for now. 150cm-160cm is probably the right range for the length for you as well. You will probably outgrow them within a few years, so I support your decision to go used; even then, this range of skis will serve you well on icy days.

But, more importantly: What skis have you rented? How did you like them? In what conditions did you dislike them?

I'm a Rossi Temptation fan, and the Temptation 80 or 82 will work well, and are often available steeply discounted; they are good skis to grow on. Temptation 75 are the same as Experience 75, which are a popular rental model and work well for most beginners and early intermediates, but are too narrow for soft snow and too soft for advanced learning. Other manufacturers have equivalent models. Evo has a great search engine that will show you similar models, and are a good reference for old, discontinued models because they do not delete their product pages; search through google with evo.com in the search field and the skis you are looking at, and you will find the specs. You want skis that are "intermediate" or "intermediate to advanced", "medium" flex, and "all mountain" rather than "front side".

For boots, just as important as size is flex. Try for boots in the 70-80 flex range. Lean forward and make sure you can bend the cuff fairly easily, and make sure you don't feel like the cuffs are throwing your forward or keeping you back. (In the cold, they will be stiffer, especially the more transluscent ones.)

To measure your boot size, trace the outline of your foot on a piece of paper, and measure the longest and widest bits in centimeters. You may be surprised; my preferred shoe size is a whole size larger than what my "mondo size" will suggest. The width is your "last", and you want boots that are wider than your feet, but not more than 5mm or so. Unlike with shoes, you want your toes to be gently touching at the tip when you are leaning forward, with your heel firmly planted in the back.

Be sure to smell the boots before you buy them! They are often moldy. I wouldn't buy used boots, to be honest.

Hope this helps, and, again, welcome to the forum!

SUPER helpful!! THank you!!

DWest

Certified Ski Diva
If you've been reading other threads about buying skis, it may be that the reason for demo'ing is becoming more obvious. You've listed five major brands of ski. I've demo'd and/or bought skis from those brands. I love two of the brands and find skis from a couple of the brands do not suit me at all. Just because two models are about the same length and width does not mean they are equivalent.

Since you are relatively light, Rossignol and Head would be my suggestion to check out first. The Head Joy line comes with pretty nice system bindings, so that makes the purchase decision a little simpler.

As for models, I think I'll just grab a demo one but found some on ebay - Rossingnol Temptation, Volkl Essenza and Playa and Oceana or Attiva (cheap), Head Cool Thang and now Joy, Rossingnol Unique System, Nordica Infinite...thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna