• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helmet damage

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was talking to some guys at work about my ski weekend and how grateful I am for wearing my helmet after I slammed my head into hardpack snow. They both told me to get a new helmet - even if there is now visible damage, a hard blow can compromise the ability of your helmet to hold up the next time you need that protection. I have never heard that before. What do the Divas recommend??

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, this is also true of bike helmets. I cringe a bit on lifts when I see people with really beaten up helmets. I suppose its probably better than nothing, but I wouldn't feel safe with a compromised helmet. At this point in the season they are on sale just about everywhere. SAC has great prices on helmets such as the Fuse fairly regularly. I have not read up on it lately, but stickers on the helmet is also a no-no. It supposedly softens the shell. So...I guess when in doubt, it's time for a new helmet! As far as hardpack snow goes, I truthfully have no idea if that is enough to compromise...a tree yah, obviously. Perhaps the other divas will know!

-veggielasagna

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Time for a new one, for sure, if there are any visible dents. Why take a chance? The consensus is mixed, BTW, as to whether stickers compromise the plastic in ski helmets. (Hmmm....I have a "ski diva" sticker on the back of one of mine....) I remember reading this, either here or on another forum??

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think there are a handful of helmet brands/versions that are designed to take multiple minor hits--you might check the manufacturer's web site to see if there's any info on your specific model. Otherwise, I'd replace the helmet. No sense taking a chance.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think there are a handful of helmet brands/versions that are designed to take multiple minor hits--you might check the manufacturer's web site to see if there's any info on your specific model. Otherwise, I'd replace the helmet. No sense taking a chance.
Ditto this.

I know for bike helmets, you can contact the mfg and they will have you send it in for an inspection. If it needs to be replaced, they'll usually give you a credit (for Bell it's significant) for your bashed one or offer a sizable discount on a replacement.

Also, helmets should be replaced every 3-5 years anyway. UV rays affect the exterior and sweat can break down not only the padding, but also the foam, on the inside (per the manufacturers).

I'm going to my neurologist on Friday, so I will ask abou this. I would venture to say that the answer is goin to be yes....get a new one.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:eek: I've taken not one but THREE significant knocks (one from a metal sign, one from a ski, and one from good ol' hardpack) on my helmet over the course of two years AND its plastered with stickers...

I can draw two conclusions from this thread: 1)being a member of The Ski Diva is good for one's health and safety, and 2)darn it all, now I need to shop for a new helmet. Oh, what an agonizing trial. (rushes off to find end-of-season sales)

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry we're making you go shopping, we know what a hardship that can be :decision: :D .

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:eek: I've taken not one but THREE significant knocks (one from a metal sign, one from a ski, and one from good ol' hardpack) on my helmet over the course of two years AND its plastered with stickers...

I can draw two conclusions from this thread: 1)being a member of The Ski Diva is good for one's health and safety, and 2)darn it all, now I need to shop for a new helmet. Oh, what an agonizing trial. (rushes off to find end-of-season sales)

Or #3 - huh...nothing wrong with my brain...what we were discussing again? That's right, is this the ski board? Crap...left my cat in the microwave again...

Or #3 - huh...nothing wrong with my brain...what we were discussing again? That's right, is this the ski board? Crap...left my cat in the microwave again...

Man....you sound like me! :becky: 'Cept....I don't have a cat! :eek:
So.....who's cat is this that is in my microwave???????? :eek:

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, I did it! A quick excursion to a couple local ski shops proved fruitless, so I ordered a spiffy-looking Boeri Tactic helmet for 50% off at Sierra Snowboard. I figure the fact that Boeri comes recommended by NVG's neurologist makes up for the fact that I paid a little bit extra for a cool graphic. But hey, whatever it takes to avoid ending up with my roommate's cat in the microwave, eh?

Is this YOUR NEIGHBOR'S CAT IN MY MICROWAVE??????? :eek:

Seriously, though, the Tactic and the Vortex are the ones that my Neurologist recommended. I had to go back in some paperwork to find that, but those are the ones.

Also....this is funny....he wrote, "If for any reason you should hit your head in any wave shape or form with this helmet on, does not mean you should not still come in and have it checked. Any bump to your head, helmet or not, is to be considered serious, Kelly."

Wow! I must be just one synapse shy of TOTAL EUPHORIA!!!!!!!! :love: Seriously though, this was written a while ago, and we were still working through a lot of "issues."

I do love my Boeri, but you stylish ladies have me checking out the gyros. I am going to talk to my neurologist about all of these issues when I see him tomorrow.

Congrats on your new "HEAD PROTECTOR!" :cheer:

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My 5yo Boeri was finally falling apart ie: the ear flap that is connected to the chin strap is only "partially" connected to the helmet. I think that is bad.

Anyway, picked up a helmet at Christy Sports at Copper on Tuesday for 50% off (Giro). Super comfy. And I think will be warmer than my old helmet. Doesn't have the "forehead" space bewteen helmet & goggles. Technology in helmets has changed a lot in the last 5 years.

Looked at another Boeri...but they didn't have my size. The women Boeris now have ponytail holes and are fleece lined. Got to love that!

I've already put stickers on my new helmet. Just wish I could re-use the stickers off of my old! Now, what to do with my old helmet??? Flower pot??? Or, my mom suggested using it as a "pee pot" for camping!:ROTF:

Hey SkiNurse....which one did you get? The Fuse? I need comfy and really protected. I just wanna know what to run by the Neuro!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, I did it! A quick excursion to a couple local ski shops proved fruitless, so I ordered a spiffy-looking Boeri Tactic helmet for 50% off at Sierra Snowboard.
You DID try this helmet on, right?

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG you all are sooooo very funny :ROTF: So my old stand by Giro is now 6 years old last month and now I have a good reason to go shopping :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: My old helmet has been my good luck charm all this time. It will sad to turn her into a flowerpot :(

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Man....you sound like me! :becky: 'Cept....I don't have a cat! :eek:
So.....who's cat is this that is in my microwave???????? :eek:

Lol...actually, I was just joking. I don't have a cat. I have a small dog, that I am not in love with (it's the "kids' dog"..but who do you think remembers to feed/water/let it out 95% of the time?) - so if I wrote about a dog in a microwave, I'm afraid it would jinx the dog (who although I don't love, I'm not heartless and wouldn't want him to have a horrible end...just wish he could go to another wonderful house in the country).

Of course, if I had all this great jinxing power, I surely would have put it to better uses lol... l

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga