• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Have you ever missed a ski season?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Not to be a total bummer...I am worried about this season. Two weeks ago I had my first ever epileptic seizure. No explaination, no reason known yet...As a result, I am unable to drive a vehicle...which has put me on medical leave from my job (without pay in another 4 weeks). This could be a bad season unless I find someone with a willingness to allow me to tag along for the ride up into the hills of COLORADO!!!!

Oh...and I learn how spin wool into gold so I can buy a pass.
HAHAHA.
I am sure that it will work itself out somehow though...you know how us diehards are, we find a way (with a little help from the Big man)!

Sorry to hear about your seizures and hope they can get to the bottom of it. We're pulling for you!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pissani5772,
So sorry to hear about the seizures and the current situation. Hopefully they will figure out the issue and you can go from there. This is a very supportive forum so if you need to ask for an ear, don't hesitate.

All the best......

pisani5772

Diva in Training
Amazing

You guys are so great!!!

Thanks for the support and especially the offer for the ride up with you Vail Gal. I may knock on that door.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Estimated (before I kept records)
Year Days
71-72: 6 Learned to ski in Austria, hated it
72-73: 0
73-74: 0
74-75: 8 Went on ski trip with cute guys, took lessons on short skis
75-76: 21
76-77: 3 Went back to grad school
77-78: 8 Moved to CT after graduation, got job
78-79: 15 In CT
79-80: 8 Moved to NJ
81-82: 8
82-83: 8
83-84: 8
85-86: 8
86-87: 0 Pregnant, bought house in Poconos
87-88: 15 First year skiing at CB, skied enough to break even
88-89: 20 still not writing things down, but was counting and this was in old file somewhere
sub of estimate days: 136

Actual (started spreadsheets)
89-90: 25
90-91: 32
91-92: 36
92-93: 41
93-94: 28
94-95: 36
95-96: 41
96-97: 40
97-98: 37
98-99: 32
99-00: 29
00-01: 54
01-02: 36
02-03: 36
03-04: 75
04-05: 55
05-06: 73
06-07: 73

sub of actual days: 779

Estimated Grand total over life: 915 days

So, I guess I should only tell people I've been skiing 31 seasons.....

Sibhusky, you the same sibhusky from Epic? Welcome to the forum! I'll be skiing in Big Sky in February, probably a long way from your mountain....

That's what I thought. It is a HUGE state that I am very fond of, though I've only spent time in the Southwest corner so far....

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pisani5772, I know someone with epilepsy who avidly skis. One time the person had a big seizure on the slopes. I was there. We just did the same for the person as if we were on dry land. That it happened to occur on a ski slope didn't really matter. Afterwards, the person rested in the lodge and subsequently at home, and it was over.

Brooklyn Skier

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, and the same reason as I read in a few of the other replies.."lack of a friend or relative or boyfriend" interested in skiing. I've always wanted to go in on a ski house for a few reasons...someone to split the gas with for the long drive up there and also ensures you can go skiing every weekend and not have to worry about finding a motel. Plus the added bonus of making new friends and planning skiing days.

I live in the NYC area and was always cautious about going online and finding a house on sites like Craig's List. You never know what kind of wierdos you get. I dated a guy a few years ago who loved snowboarding and told me about how he usually goes in on 2 share houses for the ski seasons. I was thinking it would be perfect to go in on one of those but the relationship didn't last till winter. When winter season approached I didn't think it a big deal to call him for a reference to see if he knew of other houses (and specifically said not one of his) he acted all typical jerk & recommended one that was out of my price range and was only a 1/4 share and had no one from NYC in it!!

Do you think finding a ski house to go in on is a good idea? What are safe ways to find out about share houses? Especially if your a single female? Thanks!

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I missed the first 27 years of my life not skiing! :p

Only went once or twice a year after that, then we moved to NY when I was 34, and I started skiing more regularly. 10-15 days a year in NY, and then we got 27 days in last year. Gets better all the time! :ski:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, and the same reason as I read in a few of the other replies.."lack of a friend or relative or boyfriend" interested in skiing. I've always wanted to go in on a ski house for a few reasons...someone to split the gas with for the long drive up there and also ensures you can go skiing every weekend and not have to worry about finding a motel. Plus the added bonus of making new friends and planning skiing days.

I live in the NYC area and was always cautious about going online and finding a house on sites like Craig's List. You never know what kind of wierdos you get. I dated a guy a few years ago who loved snowboarding and told me about how he usually goes in on 2 share houses for the ski seasons. I was thinking it would be perfect to go in on one of those but the relationship didn't last till winter. When winter season approached I didn't think it a big deal to call him for a reference to see if he knew of other houses (and specifically said not one of his) he acted all typical jerk & recommended one that was out of my price range and was only a 1/4 share and had no one from NYC in it!!

Do you think finding a ski house to go in on is a good idea? What are safe ways to find out about share houses? Especially if your a single female? Thanks!
Maybe ask on EpicSki, or if you like the Poconos, PA Ski and Ride (paskiandride.com)?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Another good option is a ski club. Some of them have houses near ski areas and charge only a small fee to members who use them. Plus it'd give you someone to ski with.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2 sort ofs

Back when I was in high school ( jr. high? ), before we had snow making in Montana, we had a strangely snowless winter. Most of the areas didn't even open because they couldn't keep enough snow at the base. We ended up getting pounded with snow from about late February to Aprilish that year. It was too late for the ski area to open, but we lived at the base of a mountain and my brother and I would hike and ski it after school. Absolutely no base, I don't know if you could even consider it skiing, but it was fun.

I also spent very little time alpine skiing the year my daughter was born. I went maybe 4-5 times that year. I spent that winter cross-country skiing with her in the pack instead. It was a perfect solution at the time, and don't think I will ever be in that good of shape again. I wish...

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I missed about 15 ski seasons. The reasons were: a divorce and tight finances, and no one to ski with. Actually, I didn't really think I'd ever get back to it until I met my present husband and he persuaded me to go. I'm skiing better now than I ever did, and I'm so glad I decided to try it again!

cloudpeak

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was 11, my parents gave me skis for Christmas. I skied every weekend and school vacation for those two winters and loved every minute of it, but didn't ski again until I was 46. In the intervening 30-some years, jobs, kids, lack of spare cash, and a love for whitewater kayaking all pushed skiing out of the picture.

Six years ago our kids begged us to get them skis and lessons. My spouse and I took it up at the same time, and we love it. We ski as much as possible, but, ironically, the kids now ski less than we do.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't ever ski until 1/1/2004. I was 26 at the time. Then I missed the next season due to pregnancy... the following season I only got out 2 days... missed last season due to another pregnancy. I can't wait to get back into it! I've only ever had about 20 ski days and I desperately feel the need to get back out there. I miss it terribly. Skiing is my Zen, my balance.

I did break the 5th metatarsal in my left foot over the summer and was told I should be able to ski this winter. Hopefully it doesn't have a negative effect on returning to the sport for me.

Capucine

Certified Ski Diva
I started skiing in 1984 (I was 5) and skiied every weekend until 1998. We were 8 minutes from the slopes. Then I moved to Montreal for university and since then my seasons were slim due to transportation and money (some seasons I didn't ski at all). I hope to start skiing every weekend again this year. We'll see if the budget (I move in my new house tomorrow) and the weather allow it.

Pattn

Certified Ski Diva
Missed too many to want to think about when I took a detour to live in the SW, although I did get a couple of northern NM and one CO trip in during those 2 decades. I am very happy to be back at it and living in the NE where it snows and ski areas are w/in driving distance. And thanks to all of the terrific info on this website I have reinvested in equipment for the first time in, well, too long. Skiing makes me smile and I now hope to ski every season until I'm very very very old.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't ski regularly until we moved to Colorado 7 years ago. Since then, I missed one season when I was pregnant. I haven't gotten very many days in the past two seasons since, but I've at least gotten a handful!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga