• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Has anyone seen this thread?

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And that attitude is why she is still on greens and may never really take to skiing. She needs some ski Diva friends!:yell:

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Uhm at the risk of being the Devil's advocate, she might just not be into skiing that much. If she is happy with where she's at then more power to her. There is nothing wrong with skiing the greens! My brother is an E.P. rated water skier. He tried for years and years to get me into the perfect binding and ski that would rock my world and turn me into the type of slalom skier that he new that I could be. And except for one little thing I could be. I don't really like getting my face wet, or balling it up over the wake, (and I'm not all that crazy about fresh water enemas either.) I 'm quite content to ski 15 off (slaloms equivalant to a green) and drive the boat. My point is that for some people it's not about the level you participate in a sport, but that you enjoy participating at the level you are at. I think if a nice comfy pair of boots in a pretty color is what she wants then thats what she should have. I've had students that the only reason they were even skiing was to please the S.O. I had a student one time, that her sole motivation for taking the lesson was to get the mink her husband promised her if she would just give skiing a try. Well she took the lesson , thanked me profusely (gave me a generous tip!) and never skied again. But her kids do with her husband and she sits in the lodge, in a gorgeous mink!!! :wink:

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Point taken Perma-grin. I agree if she only wants to ski the greens, and that's all she's game for, more power to her. At least she's out there with her guy, and if she's just in the lodge having a few laughs and beverages, good for her too. To each their own.

His attitude that fit is not an issue, =only= looks and comfort is, as even if you are going to just mellow out and snow bunny it, safety is an issue, and a poorly fitting boot isn't going to help her performance or safety IMHO, even if it's just going down the green groomers.

I understand his general gist, and that to keep her out there, he wants to keep her comfy, but fit should still be an issue, no matter how much or little, how aggressively or not one skis, and I think his attitude is scary...very scary...

perma-grin

:D I think Richierich is more frustrated than scary, and SierraJim is just being sarcastic. I'm sure he get's frustrated trying to give a good boot fit to some of his customers that just aren't interested. Me I want my boot's to fit like my skin and I am B****ing big time if they don't. As for color I seldom have a say, this year I'm in red/white with silver buckles. Although I do admit to longing for pretty boots every now and then. :( So I rebel by puting Rhinestones on my ski tips! It makes my rep cringe! Girls just wanna have fun!:thumbsup:

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it was this line that really got to me: "Phil T....you're kidding right, this is a woman we are talking about"

This was said in response to a post that said basically "who cares what boots look like"

I don't think I've ever had boots that were a color that I would have chosen.

Nothing wrong with his wife being happy skiing greens, nothing wrong with wanting pretty, comfortable boots, but please don't lump all of us in that category!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Interesting thread over there. Again, kind of a "whatever" deal - and nothing most of us could really relate to. Made me think that, for the first time possibly ever - or at least in a really, really long time - I have matching boots/bindings/skis, and it was total serendipity. Really wish the boots were green or red, or even black. They are not. It all matches. Worse, what I usually wear seems to coordinate with the equipment :eek: Completely and totally unplanned. Thank goodness I have a TOTALLY umatched set of poles!! Helmet doesn't match, either, and will soon be completely customized with my "I'm A SkiDiva" sticker :smile: Who knows, maybe this lady will wind up with boots that really fit???? When there are no hot spots, etc., they can be great! I never touch my buckles all day.

Jilly

Staff member
That is the exact reason why I haven't join that forum. Why ask the question in the first place?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Let me shed a little light on this: Richie Rich tried to register here yesterday. He was very upfront, using his Epic user name and all. As is the case with any men who try to register, I sent him an email explaining our policy and why he couldn't become a member. He then wrote back saying he wanted to register to get some info for boots for his girlfriend, but that's where it ended. I didn't get back to him, didn't offer to pursue anything for him, but then again, I've been really, really busy. I didn't know anything about this thread on Epic.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Great responses over there. And num, I think I'm in love with you. A terrific post. It never ceases to amaze me how some of these guys just don't get it, do they???? :noidea:

By the way, SnowHot, that link is priceless!!!!!!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you go into the pics and see his modeling stuff you'll find that he is primarily a model for trashy romance novel covers a la Fabio. And most of his skiing pics are of him in a race suite in his living room in September.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm speechless. :ROTF:
Now you get why the shallow comment about the Pretty boots?
Perhaps because he is..............whats the word..............hmmm, on the tip of my tongue..........Oh, I remember the word........shallow!!:laugh:
He's all talk :blah:

jessica

Certified Ski Diva
I just read his thread on epicski and it looks like yesterday (Jan 20) they found a good shop and tried on lots of boots. The salespersons convinced her to try on a different boot (than the ones she picked), and she loved the fit. She got Head Women's Edge+ 9 Heat Fit. I think this is all genuine. I have never tried this boot, but it has a heatfit liner, microadjust buckles, and looks wonderful. I have Solomon Sensifit Performa 6.0 which I love, but the color is really boring.

I've met lots of "the girlfriend" on the slopes and she sounds very typical: never skied before, doing it because her boyfriend loves it and so she can spend time with him, scared of hurting herself, might as well look good. The fact she wanted new boots and ended up picking a boot that fit her well is a good sign she might actually enjoy the sport in the long run. Kudos to her!

jessica

perma-grin

Wow! Is that his webpage for real? And I thought I was high maintance. I wonder how much body waxing that takes?:eek:

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Holy CRAP SnowHot....he called you Chicky!!!!! oooooooo thems fighten' words! :ROTF:

Great responses Num & SnowHot!!!

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At the risk of getting my head bitten off, I think a lot of respondants to that thread read too much into it.

He never said she wanted a badly fitting boot, or didn't care about fit. She wanted a comfortable 'attractive' boot. I think in the trade that is called a 'recreational' fit, not a performance fit. There is nothing wrong with this whatsoever if that is what she wants out of her skiing (and he said time and time again that that is all she wants!) It's not going to make her an expert skier, but it won't do her any harm either.

Just about all the expert skiers I know ski in boots straight off the shelf, have never had a professional fitting, and have never heard of custom footbeds! I think we do tend to get carried away on the bootfitting bandwagon a little.

Just MHO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga