• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Has anyone else ever gotten welts from snow + wind gusts?

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Went up skiing at Alpine yesterday and it was beaaautiful....but snowing hard icy snow and getting kind of windy up top. There was a few times that the gusts were such that it felt a little like my face was getting sandblasted, but I was having too much fun to stop and fix my scarf to cover my face again. However, when I next looked in a mirror, the uncovered part of my face was completely covered in tiny welts. It looked like I'd run into a bunch of mosquitos...or maybe had acne. The redness has faded some now, but the raised skin is still there.

I don't think I've ever had this happen before, so I'm completely at a loss, and Google wasn't helping.

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes it could be superficial frostbite...more than just frost nip. Check with your doctor. Is your skin still bumpy? If not, how long was it bumpy for?

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Yeah, still kind of bumpy. Not so much that I think other people would notice, but it does make my skin just look like crap in a vague way. But it was only yesterday.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm. We call the top of the T-Bar "free dermabrasion" some days, but I've never had welts. I do have my jacket zipped up to my goggles at those times, though. Sounds pretty awful.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like hives. See a dermatologist for recommendations how to better protect skin and how to bring reaction quickly down. antihistamines should work too. Unless it's a symptom of some health issue it's not a big deal and will eventually disappear. I had hives as a kid, also as a reaction on wind, snow and cold. Started all of a sudden when I was 11 even that I was very well accustomed to the cold. As I was approaching a "tender" age my mum was determined to get to the bottom of it to avoid dealing with a teen who doesn't want to go outside because it gave her "pimples" - and I was in XC race club, so there was some urgency as it was a big part of my life. Anyway, apart from initial diagnosis, tests didn't help much. We were recommended all sort of elimination diets, which of course we never followed, and the following year the problem eventually disappeared as if it never happened.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I was going to say something similar to what @snow addict said. I get hives in the cold on my face and also my legs. Nothing serious and it's better if I keep my face covered.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna