• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
@snowski/swimmouse Sounds like they would be perfect for you! :wink:

@newboots Interesting! I wonder what kind they were. I've actually never grown cucumbers or watermelons themselves so everything is new to me, haha.

Also haven't seen the squirrel this weekend! My garden was safe for a few days. I guess he took a weekend vacation.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I came home from a week vacation to find several tomatoes eaten like this ...including cherry, all hollowed out mostly the skins left.

Any thoughts on what animal is stealing my beautiful tomatoes? I understand could be squirrel or rat.... or?

Btw Didn't touch the tomatillos!!!! (Thankfully)

- 20180819_184412.jpg

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@snowski/swimmouse well that would explain the lack of rat droppings around my boxes.
I also recall a few of the tops of the plants being chewed down.... I have fence/ trellis and then box so could easily be hanging on the trellis to get to the goods.

You would think that squirrel would be happy with all the pine cones it eats as well as stealing the bird food...... Well all I can hope is that maybe, just maybe, trying to get the tomatoes will put him right within in hawk hunting reach....

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
There was some discussion on my local Nextdoor board of squirrel deterrents, and a few people reported success (the squirrels never touched the tomatoes again) by putting out water for the squirrels, on the theory they were eating tomatoes to get the moisture. Can't hurt to try.

newboots

Angel Diva
Around here they just take one bite from each tomato.
:noidea:

Christy

Angel Diva
For the past few years I've had problems with a rat (Just one. There is just one that lives in our garage. I see the same one over and over. Humor me) eating my tomatoes, so this year I tried outwit him/her by putting them in the front yard with my perennials. So far it's worked!

20180820_211626.jpg

alicie

Angel Diva
Does indoor gardening count too lol. My mental health has been significantly worse than usual, and I seem to have surrounded myself with plants, which actually helps, my head seems to have established that they protect me and give me something to live so yeah. I have about 200 plant plants and a lot a lot of seedlings. Here’s some seedlings. I also large multiple ferns, a monstera, a parlour palm, a lot a lot of succulents and cactuses, two parrot plants and a riduclous amount of coleus. And outside is doing well as well.

ED0020AC-5C7C-4E48-B35E-B04EECAEEF7A.jpeg
Euphorbias and some other succulents
85352532-7615-45A5-9E22-AB2615BB6277.jpeg
I moved some cactuses and something else
DFB848A4-138E-406A-8116-9F88FBFE2254.jpeg
Hopefully winter flowering pansies
19E81B61-1AB2-485E-85A5-ABEB2FF0658A.jpeg
More cactuses
AF40A0DA-5F16-4582-A428-099AA328B072.jpeg
Baby coleus
E6BA80A2-8D98-4E26-BBC8-5D4E4C71EA32.jpeg
Baby mimosas.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Pretty!

I've missed an entire summer in the garden because of my stupid ankle, so enjoying seeing what other people have. And those baby mimosas look like a plant that wasn't labeled that I got in a birthday gift basket. Are those indoor only? What kind of care do they need? So far I've managed to keep it alive, but indoor plants and I don't do well. They keep needing me to water them, since it doesn't come naturally from the sky!

alicie

Angel Diva
Pretty!

I've missed an entire summer in the garden because of my stupid ankle, so enjoying seeing what other people have. And those baby mimosas look like a plant that wasn't labeled that I got in a birthday gift basket. Are those indoor only? What kind of care do they need? So far I've managed to keep it alive, but indoor plants and I don't do well. They keep needing me to water them, since it doesn't come naturally from the sky!

Do the leaves shrink back when you touch them? If so then they’re mimosas, that’s their novelty value lol. To be honest I have no idea how I’ve kept them alive, I’ve just kept them damp but not soggy and hoped for the best lol. I bought the seeds as house plant seeds so I assume so but I’m not sure actually, sorry.

Jenny

Angel Diva
No, they don't. They just look like the same thing. I never knew that was a mimosa - we always just called it a "sensitive plant". I just the other day heard someone here refer to it as a "tickle me" plant, like it was a novelty. He's quite a bit younger than I am, though, so maybe they're making a resurgence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna