• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Gardening

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everyone's pictures look great! Been a slow Monarch summer here, not sure why.

Love these Hestra Job Gloves - https://hestragloves.com/job/en-us/gloves/garden/72470-garden-dip/240/ Super cheap but work great, come in a variety of sizes. Tag says Nitrile-Dipped Palm which I believe it is despite web site referring to latex.

So its a tomatillo year for me - haven't been successful with them for a few years - these are just two plants taking over one box. Which got me thinking about weather patterns -- see my post on Tomatillos El Nino and Surf and Snow....

View attachment 9246

I LOVE Tomatillos.. Interesting about the weather pattern. I will say yes there's a pattern

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I have been growing tomatoes for many years. This year I have only one plant which went into the ground much too late for various personal reasons.

However, my single plant is growing well and is quite tall and bushy. So far it has produced a lot of flowers. I have one tomato which is quite large and probably ready to ripen. I have 2 small tomatoes which just set recently.

Those are going to be very expensive tomatoes if I don't set any more. Oddly enough, I spoke with a friend who always grows lots of vegetables, and he said that his multiple plants are just not producing tomatoes this season. We think it has to do with the hot spell we have been experiencing in soCal.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
@skibum4ever Interesting about the hot spell impacting the tomato plants. I hope your plant gets a little more productive!

This is only my second year having a garden, and the tomatoes seem so much less productive than last year. But instead of letting them grow crazy, I pruned them to one or two vines to make it easier to control, so that may be why. Also, my tree in the backyard seemed to have grown a lot more (more shade).

Only one is more than 3 ft tall... also, birds ripped off the top of 2 plants, so they are more like short bushes :frown:

raised bed.jpg

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Well, I live is northwest South Carolina, my 8 tomato plants went in on time the third week of April and have only produced 4 medium small tomatoes in all so far. My asparagus beans have been super productive, the regular green beans, squash and cherry tomatoes have done about average and I got zero cucumbers. Zucchini have done well. I plant 8 different kinds of tomatoes since some years some kinds to better than others, but I've never had such a poor tomato year and I don't know what to attribute it to...???

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the latest year I can remember for tomatoes, usually we get some by July. But its August, and I have a handful of tomatoes on each plant but none of them are ripening yet! Maybe by September we'll get some. I blame it on the really hot spell we had mid-July, it prevents blossoms from getting fertilized or so I heard. And then it got cool and rainy, so it wasnt hot enough for the tomatos to ripen.

Right now I've got a few handfuls of tomatoes on each plant (even my Sun Golds, which are normally epic producers!), I'm finally getting green beans, I've had a banner year for yellow squash but my zucchini has been pretty lackluster. I've got one cucumber and a few small ones that hopefully will get bigger soon.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My tomato plants from last summer are still producing! I trimmed them by cutting out the dead stalks and helped re-route the parts that were still growing back to the tomato cages. Then I planted new plants this spring. Unfortunately all the new plants disapeared. I have rabbits living in my fenced yard and think they must have eaten them. Well, thankfully the plants from last year are still giving us tomatoes. We haven't had an over abundance of tomatoes like last year so I haven't been able to make sauce but thats okay with me. I have put very little effort into my garden this year so am pleased with the results. I have jalapenos that are clost to being ready, lots of great kale for salads and smoothies and possibly will end up with some gourds or pumpkins if the weather would cool down a little for the plants to have time to grow and not just wilt.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
Well, at least the slow tomato production seems to be a pattern everywhere and it's not just me. I never have much luck with squash plants, but this year I finally got a productive zucchini plant - until something snipped off the top and it stopped growing and died.

My recent battle is a young squirrel that likes to taste test my plants every morning. He has tried the fig, lemon, tomatoes, peppers, sage, strawberries, etc... and marigolds this morning. I also just noticed he is building a nest in the tree in my yard. Not good :eek:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Squirrels are ~not~ my friends!!!!! One summer I was anxiously watching the ripening of the first tomato; I waited one more day and looked out the window as I was getting ready for church only to see the squirrel sitting on the fence with the empty bowl of what was left of my tomato...gggrrrrrrrr!!!
Then I had to pay a chemical expert to diagnose the chemical problem with my pool as being caused by the squirrels nibbling at holly berries and dropping the other 5/6 of the berry into the pool!!!
Finally, in August that summer the squirrel would sit in the tree of the pool and drop acorns on my head!!!! How rude!!!!! NOT my friends! [P.S. Once a squirrel tastes a ripe tomato, they keep coming back for the rest of their life!]

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
It looks like there is a tomato drought almost everywhere. I have one large tomato that should start ripening pretty soon, and now a grand total of 4 pretty small ones. The good thing is if they all ripen at the same time we can have BLT's.

We have a local farmers market on Thursday afternoons and I may head over there tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the actual growers are doing this season, and maybe I'll snag a few decent tomatoes.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
I scared the squirrel away again today...after he had his breakfast of marigolds! We have plenty of squirrels but it's always the same one causing issues.

@snowski/swimmouse Well, good thing my tomatoes are still mostly all green because the one he tasted wasn't ripe yet! but he still comes back anyways, haha.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
@skibum4ever our market is on Saturday, fingers crossed they will have some here, too.

Has anyone grown cucamelons before? I've heard of them and thought I would try them this year.cucamelons (2).jpg

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
It looks like a watermelon the size of a gooseberry. What does it taste like?

Looks like a watermelon, tastes like a cucumber with a bit of citrus. I think it is also called Mexican Sour Gherkin or mouse melon.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't bother with real gardening this year- last year I planted in June and nothing even started to grow until September. Odd. I do have basil on my deck, and have gotten just enough cherry tomatoes for a goat cheese and tomato tart on two different occasions. My sunflower, on the other hand is having a real Jack-and-the-beanstalk moment. After yesterday's downpour it had another growth spurt and is now 9'3".

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
@diymom Awesome! Looks like one is even starting to bloom. Maybe I will plant some sunflower seeds out next year and see if any make it past the squirrels. I bet they would make a good privacy wall next to our deck.

newboots

Angel Diva
Those tiny cucumelons are totally adorable!

I've tasted what looked like a much larger version (maybe 3" long) - also a lemony cuke flavor.

@Keepur - maybe you can trap that squirrel and relocate it to, maybe, Nevada. Or Nebraska?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna