• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fuzzy Formica

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Buy a set of "ice skates" (super short SL skis) and ski it with a grin on your face! We had a day last year where it had rained, and I mean POURED then froze. The entire hill was literally a skating rink. Even our race was cancelled. Everyone scratched their way to the bottom then went home, except those of use with SLs in the car. We zipped and ripped all over the place with nary another soul on the hill. Sweeet. :thumbsup:

I LOVE the vibration from frozen courduroy in the morning.....when you get to the bottom and the soles of your feet are numb from the bzzzzzzz. Yeah.:cool:

OK, gotta ask...what are SL skis? :confused:

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks guys! You guys are helping me with my homesickness for Killington right now - I don't miss the formica! :p

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I've had 7 ski days so far this year, and I'd say that only one was icy. So maybe you'll have a better day tomorrow than you think.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, I've had 7 ski days so far this year, and I'd say that only one was icy. So maybe you'll have a better day tomorrow than you think.

Me too, 7 days. Sunday at Sunday River was really formica everywhere. Maybe tomorrow will be better, but I'm going to Wildcat and they are getting off to a slow start, so I'm expecting the worst. Which is ok. I just need to do this thing. It's gonna be drills all day. Hope it pays off.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
where are you going tomorrow? It is opening day at Gunstock, but I won't be going there for a few more weeks.

I've never been to Gunstock. I've got a midweek pass to Wildcat, so I'll be there Friday. They were open last weekend with one lift open, the one that only goes half way up, and two trails. Then they closed for the week. So I expect the same two trails to be open, and not in such good shape.
Just checked. Yep, that's all they have open, plus the beginner slope. Maybe I'll practice one footed skiing on that one, if they at least have the snow there minced and fluffed up soft.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me too, 7 days. Sunday at Sunday River was really formica everywhere. Maybe tomorrow will be better, but I'm going to Wildcat and they are getting off to a slow start, so I'm expecting the worst. Which is ok. I just need to do this thing. It's gonna be drills all day. Hope it pays off.
Wow, 7 days, good for you.

I'll be at SR both Sat & Sun. Look for me hugging the dust on the side of trails ;-) Or upstairs of Barker for beer:30.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Slalom skis. Short radius skis. The turn they want to make because of their radical sidecut is a short one.
SL, or slalom, skis are designed to make the super quick, super short radius turns of a slalom race course. They're also designed to hold exceptionally well on the water injected icy surface of said world cup race course. For that reason, many people nickname them ice skates. GS, or giant slalom, skis are designed to make the longer, higher speed turns of a giant slalom race course, on the same icy surface. Either are the ones to be on when the snow is hardpack frozen or icy.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Please don't do that.

I'll be skiing this stuff tomorrow. My goal is to conquer it & love it. Ha.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!:becky: They say people who learn to ski in the East develop stronger skills because the conditions are more challenging, and I believe it. Personally, that's my comfort zone, and for the most part I'm OK on ice. In fact, the thought of deep powder scares the crap out of me because I am used to something solid underfoot.

I can't believe some people have 7 days in already!:jealous: I haven't even started yet, although I hope to this weekend, as Snowbird is finally open enough to justify buying a ticket. But we really need some snow out here.:(

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't believe some people have 7 days in already!:jealous: I haven't even started yet, although I hope to this weekend, as Snowbird is finally open enough to justify buying a ticket. But we really need some snow out here.:(
first time I've heard a western skier jealous of conditions out East...:eek:

abc

Banned
Oh I missed this thread until now (I was lounging at a beach!). LiquidFeet, you should send it to Skiing megazine! It beats the junk they on there.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I worked on skiing frozen formica this last Friday. Had some good moments at last. Before reporting on what did work, I want to clarify what I was not trying to do. I did not want to ski this stuff standing straight up and performing what I think of as controlled skids. I can do that, but feel quite vulnerable. I want control. I want to feel my skis engaged solidly in the snow from the beginning to the end of each turn. In other words, this woman wants to do race turns.

When I felt it working right, I felt the following:

1. femurs rotating in the hip socket (I wondered all summer what this meant - now I know - legs dramatically pivot but torso doesn't)
2. weight resting on the head of the femur (another way of saying the same thing)
3. hips lowered way inside the turn (maybe not as far as I thought since no video)
4. torso staying upright, with lower body angulated at the hip (it felt that way; maybe didn't look that way - you know how that goes)
5. weight so far forward at initiation that the skis begin the turn from uphill-back-behind the body (finally!!)
6. weight on balls of feet inside the boots at initiation; felt like I was on tippytoe (the turn didn't work for me without this happening)
7. weight on heels at end of turn, or not (both happened)
8. skis curve from up-back-behind, around to the side, then down-in-front where the turn ends (turn feels round, and feels like most of it happens with skis way out to the side - a very nice feeling)
9. most or all of the weight on outside ski (I even lifted the inside ski up off the snow sometimes)
10. cross-under happens, not cross-over (legs cross from left to right under the body with knees really flexed as they do that so the torso doesn't have to go "up" at all)
11. skis move under the torso in a sideways figure 8 (this is really pronounced)
12. the body shifts fore-aft while those skis are doing that (may be unnecessary, but my body did it anyway; racers don't look like they are doing the fore-aft thing to me....)
13. builds up a sweat (calories burned!)
14. makes noise (as in race turns!)
15. shovels of skis really grip the ice at the beginning of the turn (nice! totally secure!!)

Most of my turns were poor mangled attempts at the doing all of the previous 15 points. They were also uneven, with the left side working while the right side flubbed, or vice versa. But enough of them worked that I can aim for more of the same in the future, and hope that it kicks into muscle memory by the end of the season.

Now all this happened spasmodically in the afternoon on Friday, after I did a drill that I'd forgotten to try this season. If anyone doesn't know how to do these things and wants to try, I recommend trying this drill.

Pivot Slips: You station yourself at the top of a frozen slope. Stand with skis across fall line, 90 degrees. Slip downhill, with torso facing downhill and both hands with poles out front, but keep the skis at 90 degrees to the fall line as you slide slowly downhill. Then pivot skis to straight down the fall line, go a LITTLE way, then pivot them to the other side, 90 degrees across the fall line. Keep hands and torso facing straight down the hill. Skis facing left, facing forward, facing right, facing forward, repeat (torso and hands facing forward the whole time). Over and over and over again. You will be pivot-slipping straight down the hill along a corridor about as wide as your skis, without traveling left or right, if you do it right. It's not easy.

Once you can do it, you can speed up the whole thing, make it flow, and voila you are skiing short turns down the ice. Helps if skis are sharp; absolutely necessary, actually.

Why does this drill work? Well, to do the pivot slips, you have to be able to keep your skis parallel (not as easy as it sounds), pivot them (requires unexpected coordination), control their edges (everything is awkward until this kicks in), and move your body fore and aft to get the straight-skiing part to connect to the side-slipping part (feels good once you figure this out - it gets you on your toes/balls of feet at initiation). Shifting from doing this as a drill to turning it into skiing happens when you get tired of the choppiness of the whole thing and add rhythm. I worked on this last year, and totally forgot how useful it had been, so when I went back to it on Friday it didn't take too long to get it back.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a LOT of things to focus on all at once. The pivot slips are a good idea, but I wonder if you would find it more helpful to pick a couple of points at a time to concentrate on, and then once you get them down add a few more? I'd also recommend taking a lesson at some point to get some feedback on how you are doing with it, and/or have someone video tape you. I always find it extremely humbling and enlightening!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a LOT of things to focus on all at once. The pivot slips are a good idea, but I wonder if you would find it more helpful to pick a couple of points at a time to concentrate on, and then once you get them down add a few more? I'd also recommend taking a lesson at some point to get some feedback on how you are doing with it, and/or have someone video tape you. I always find it extremely humbling and enlightening!

Cinnabon, thanks for the comments. You sound like an instructor! I envy you your location.

I'd love to have a private lesson and videotapes to analyze. I don't think this is going to happen. But I begin my first year of ski instructing this year. I plan on going to every training session offered. AND next weekend I'll be at a three-day clinic at Stowe (not ESA-Stowe, but another concurrent clinic), so we'll see what happens there. I plan on being humbled - if it doesn't happen, I won't be learning anything. But I don't think videotape is part of it, drat.

My list was of the things I physically felt when I skied on Friday. I felt those things on-and-off, sporadically, during the time I was skiing, but on some turns I felt them all at the same time. Those were the good turns. It was a good exercise for me to verbally identify and name all those items, then make a list.

Yes, focusing on mastering one thing is what I do when I'm really really working on improvement. The one thing I was focusing on Friday was getting the pivot slips really sublime (well, I got them good, maybe a B+, but not sublime), then I just converted to skiing and worked primarily on early engagement (up-back-behind), skiing a narrow corridor, and completing my turns (overall maybe a B?? - I'm a teacher). It was a good session.

I'm wondering if you Divas work on improvement regularly when you ski?

abc

Banned
I'm wondering if you Divas work on improvement regularly when you ski?
Hahaha... NO!

Only when there's no good snow. :smile:

(otherwise, on a beautiful bluebird day with soft snow, I'd be too busy enjoying that exquisite sensation of sliiiiiiding around without a care! :ski2: Techniques be damned)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga