• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fuzzy Formica

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thinking....

Perhaps if one skis where there is an abundant amount of dry
natural snow , then one gets a willing partner underfoot (soft snow)
and there's no need to work on technique so much since it's so
much fun .....

But if one skis where there is mostly machine made snow,
repeating winter freeze-thaw cycles, and abundant formica,
maybe one needs to conquer the hostile partner underfoot
(hard snow) to have that fun, thus the need to work on
technique.

Or maybe it's just me and a few other obsessive type-A
personalities, and the type of snow and region just doesn't
matter. I can go with that, too. :eyebrows:

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got back from Gore, and although there were only a few trails open, no fuzzy formica to be scene. The conditions were great, the mountain was empty and we had a blast.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But if one skis where there is mostly machine made snow,
repeating winter freeze-thaw cycles, and abundant formica,
maybe one needs to conquer the hostile partner underfoot
(hard snow) to have that fun, thus the need to work on
technique.

hmmm, may just me, but I've found it works better to work WITH Nature, rather than to try & conquere her (and yes, skiing hills with man-made snow still qualifies as interacting with Nature)...when you fight conditions/situations/obstacles, ultimately Nature always wins...:ski2:...learn to become one with the formica (our zen moment for the day!)

(of course, one does this by improving one's technique...)

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hmmm, may just me, but I've found it works better to work WITH Nature, rather than to try & conquere her (and yes, skiing hills with man-made snow still qualifies as interacting with Nature)...when you fight conditions/situations/obstacles, ultimately Nature always wins...:ski2:...learn to become one with the formica (our zen moment for the day!)

(of course, one does this by improving one's technique...)

Agreed..... but might some partners be more resistant to that
becoming-one process than others??? Ice is insensitive to my needs.
I'm responding with "tough love." And I'm happy! Don't know about
the formica.

Several inches of new fallen snow in 20 degree weather is very
sensual, and dare I say it, responsive, so it's on those days here
in the NorthEast that I hear whooping from the human side of the
equation all over the mountain. I don't hear the joy on your typical
frozen formica day. :noidea:

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ice is an independant partner, does not conform well to the needs of others...will take more patience, fortitude and dedication to come to an accord with than the fluffy stuff will...Oh, but think of the sense of accomplishment when harmony is achieved! Of how much stronger of a skier you will be for the experience!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'd love to have a private lesson and videotapes to analyze. I don't think this is going to happen.

I'm wondering if you Divas work on improvement regularly when you ski?

I've started carrying my little digital camera with me when I ski and getting whoever I'm with to video me. I pretty much know what it SHOULD look like, but boy is it hard to know what I'm actually doing unless I can see it. Then I can review the clip on my computer (the viewing screen on my oldish camera is too small to see anything on it), stopping frame by frame. I have to confess this has sometimes been quite discouraging - maybe I'm being super critical, but every fault stands out. Anyway, this is a pretty easy way to get some video of yourself.

And to answer your question, yes, I'm always trying to improve. The better we get on the less-than-ideal conditions, the better we'll be in the powder, the off-piste and other great snow.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And the more you refine your technique, the easier it is to handle challenging terrain and/or conditions, and subsequently the more fun it is! :ski2:

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cinnabon, thanks for the comments. You sound like an instructor! I envy you your location.

I'd love to have a private lesson and videotapes to analyze. I don't think this is going to happen. But I begin my first year of ski instructing this year. I plan on going to every training session offered. AND next weekend I'll be at a three-day clinic at Stowe (not ESA-Stowe, but another concurrent clinic), so we'll see what happens there. I plan on being humbled - if it doesn't happen, I won't be learning anything. But I don't think videotape is part of it, drat.

My list was of the things I physically felt when I skied on Friday. I felt those things on-and-off, sporadically, during the time I was skiing, but on some turns I felt them all at the same time. Those were the good turns. It was a good exercise for me to verbally identify and name all those items, then make a list.

Yes, focusing on mastering one thing is what I do when I'm really really working on improvement. The one thing I was focusing on Friday was getting the pivot slips really sublime (well, I got them good, maybe a B+, but not sublime), then I just converted to skiing and worked primarily on early engagement (up-back-behind), skiing a narrow corridor, and completing my turns (overall maybe a B?? - I'm a teacher). It was a good session.

I'm wondering if you Divas work on improvement regularly when you ski?
I'm not an instructor, but your post resonated with me because I used to do that - really focus on specific ways to improve technique. I would clip all of those articles and tips from "SKI" & "Skiing" mags, and study them, and I would watch instructional videos.

But what I realized reading your post is I really don't do this anymore, for better or for worse... I did it much more pre-shaped skis. I used to struggle so much, and I really, really wanted to be an "expert". Since shaped skis came out skiing has become so much more natural. That, and getting 30-40 days in per season. Time and mileage makes such a difference!

It's not that I'm so much better now, I'm just not focusing much on technique... it's become more about just having fun. And sometimes that does require honing your skills. It's not a bad thing to do, but it can take some of the fun out of it if you get down on yourself for not doing it right, like I used to do sometimes. My location is new - I just moved here from the East, so now I have to learn how to deal with powder, which is not so easy when you are used to ice!

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've spent my life skiing this stuff. And once you master it, you're completely bored. Don't hope for that. I hate it. Big whooop...you can get down a crust/icy slope. Hope you don't run out of challenges lol...or your day is even more frustrating. Some days I'd prefer to bow out than ski this, just fear getting injured and it really wouldn't be worth it for something so boring. Sucks living on the East Coast!

Got 2 hours of skiing in on Saturday. Was told by friends which slope was best, they dropped the ropes on a virgin manmade slope earlier in the day. It's a great green trail, really enjoyed it - nice soft bumps had formed - perfect for getting my abs and lower back into shape for the winter. Then wanted to ski something steeper...only to find formica everywhere else. Did get to a trail where they were blowing snow - but then it's more of a challenge b/c I couldn't really 'let go' in the bumps, b/c you'd never know where the ice/formica would appear. If your body and stance is set for bumps, it's tough when you hit ice, just get into recovery mode, it's not pretty and dangerous.

Then headed back to the nice soft green trail. Sigh...don't mean to rain on your parade, but be happy you enjoy it and find it something worth tackling for the day! Lately, around here, even the sides of the trails haven't been too soft or bumped up like they normally get (which is why I prefer to ski noon and later).

Keep at it, you WILL master it. Then when you're bored, join me for a hot cocoa!

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MaryLou, where were you skiing?

My home mountain, Sunday River. Don't want to diss it, b/c I love it, but they were dealt a rain event after getting many man-made trails laid down a couple weeks ago - it's been dust on crust ever since. Just need mother nature to start working!

Edited: I skied from 2pm - nearly 4pm, may have been not so crusty in the AM (?).

SkiBam

Angel Diva
It doesn't sound nice at Sunday River (all that nasty formica). Anyone know what it's like at Sugarloaf? I'll be there next week for the first time.

When skiing at Tremblant, I get off the formica as much as possible, which means skiing the natural snow runs. They always post signs on these, saying "Marginal Conditions" with danger of rocks, other hazards, etc. To my mind, these runs almost always offer the best skiing (although the bases of my skis might not agree).

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It doesn't sound nice at Sunday River (all that nasty formica). Anyone know what it's like at Sugarloaf? I'll be there next week for the first time.

When skiing at Tremblant, I get off the formica as much as possible, which means skiing the natural snow runs. They always post signs on these, saying "Marginal Conditions" with danger of rocks, other hazards, etc. To my mind, these runs almost always offer the best skiing (although the bases of my skis might not agree).

Maine Ski Lady and others have mentioned that Sugarloaf is doing great. They opened up later than SR, but didn't get that rain event - instead got up to 2' of snow I think. We're holding our breath for Weds...it's on the fence whether SR will get rain, mix or snow...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
441 acres open, "most in the east" (according to them, anyway). Hey, there's a LOT open! :yahoo: Last weekend was most excellent - was out there both days with BKH319 and our respective guys, "The Blue Helmet Boys," and not only was there no fuzz, there was no formica, either! Seriously. Condtions were lovely. Especially on the eastern part of the mountain, which last weekend was accessible only from one testy cross-cut (but was ALL natural snow and empty).

We are all holding our proverbial breaths for this upcoming "event." Temps currently rising, mix scheduled to being at about midnight. It will change back to snow after several hours. Sugarloaf is way north and wayyyyy colder, so hopefully they won't get hurt as bad? Sure would be a shame, after the great start they've had. But whatever crusts will get chopped up asap, so next week will hopefully be FAB!

They've recently had a huge snowmaking upgrade, and it SHOWS---but absolutely ZERO has been made on the eastern portion of the mountain, which nonetheless looked and skied beautifully after a 24" storm about 3 weeks ago (which was left to "cure").

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Thanks so much for the encouraging update. FWIW, rain was originally forecast here in the Laurentians, but now it's been changed to just snow, snow, snow! Should be great at Tremblant tomorrow.

Very much looking forward to skiing Sugarloaf.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga