• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

From Plantar Fasciitis to Minimal Running Shoes?

Amie H

Angel Diva
After a monster case of excruciating PF and over a year in an air cast and on/off crutches, I had TENEX surgical producre on my foot in 2020. Turns out that after an initial tear, the PF kept getting worse and worse (despite successfully treating it merely with corrective shoes/arch supports a decade earlier.) The procedure removed the scar tissue that built up to the point that it prevented the fascia from being able to flex/stretch.

I'd say it's much better but not 100%. It took a long time to heal from it (literature states a few weeks which is bunk. My surgeon even said it takes months.)

I cannot wear any shoes - sneakers, or otherwise - that don't have a pretty explicit arch support. Orthotics in a shoe are not that comfortable for me.

I cannot wear heels or wedges over an inch at ALL or it is extremely painful.

Here are the brands I wear that prevent pain from reoccurring:
FitFlop - have always been my go-to. I have enclosed and sandal versions. Even slippers.
BZees - slip on sneaker-type shoes, ankle boots, and sandals.
Skechers ArchFit (only if a tie shoe) - the sneaker I wear if I have long distance to walk, for travel, etc.
Archies - flip flops for travel/the pool (I bought online directly from them, shipped from Australia.)

I had OOfos flip flops but my cat ate them! I didn't like them that much. It's hard to walk, you feel like you aren't going anywhere with your strides because they are so squish.

My sister swears by Kuru shoes for PF but I never found a style I liked, and wanted to be able to try on and not ship back if they didn't fit.

I have always worn Ascics sneakers for exercise but have to use orthotics. I think I need to stick with the Skechers ArchFit (and only that line, not their other lines) because they offer more consistent support for me. That said, because of my sneaker dilemma, I mostly just work out 4 days a week at my local pool.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW I seem have acquired a turf toe/ sesmoiditis/ with underlying "mild" great toe arthritis issue back in late December based upon X-ray and MRI. Like most of you being in a ski boot seems to be ok, but not XC-skiing b/c that's what made it flare. "Apparently" surfing is the primary culprit according to a podiatrist who I have no faith in. I will spare the details but I am utterly disappointed in everyone I have seen so far in this journey other than a sales person at the local running store who helped me ultimately find a shoe (Altra Provision 6) that unloaded that area of my foot. I had tried on the Oofos a long time ago and knew they would also unload the ball of my foot so I picked up those as well - they are the one shoe I can drive in without any pain. @SallyCat I also am trying the toe separators but only for limited stretching purposes during the day.

I understand that PF can be debilitating, DH had a bout for 9 months and his resolution is not one I would recommend. Thank you @Skier31 for mentioning Rolfing as a possible solution. That will be my next appointment, I have reconnected with my rolfer who is back working now. I do believe the calf muscle and of course the connective tissue can be addressed in Rolfing, which puts the whole body back together rather then just focusing on say PT for the foot. I know my issue is a bit different but I can commiserate with others who have foot pain - you don't realize how important healthy feet are until you develop an issue.....

Jenny

Angel Diva
My sister swears by Kuru shoes for PF but I never found a style I liked, and wanted to be able to try on and not ship back if they didn't fit.
I wondered about these. Does she only wear the athletic styles? I saw once they had a ballet flat style that supposedly had support but I’ve never tried them.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I’ve had mild PF, one foot, for the past year, managed with AM stretching before getting out of bed, over the counter footbeds, and a rule to never be barefoot, not even 1 step, except in the shower or in bed. It got strikingly better after a 2 week ski safari this past winter, with 11 of 14 days spent skiing (I typically ski 5-10 days per season). I think my boots, newly tweaked with drop in footbeds and small heel wedges, served as a type of cast, pushing and maintaining my foot in better alignment for a 2 week period. Is it possible that ski boots are therapeutic?
My feet never hurt after skiing…except my big toe that gets squished. I have custom orthotics.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
FWIW I seem have acquired a turf toe/ sesmoiditis/ with underlying "mild" great toe arthritis issue back in late December based upon X-ray and MRI. Like most of you being in a ski boot seems to be ok, but not XC-skiing b/c that's what made it flare. "Apparently" surfing is the primary culprit according to a podiatrist who I have no faith in. I will spare the details but I am utterly disappointed in everyone I have seen so far in this journey other than a sales person at the local running store who helped me ultimately find a shoe (Altra Provision 6) that unloaded that area of my foot. I had tried on the Oofos a long time ago and knew they would also unload the ball of my foot so I picked up those as well - they are the one shoe I can drive in without any pain. @SallyCat I also am trying the toe separators but only for limited stretching purposes during the day.

I understand that PF can be debilitating, DH had a bout for 9 months and his resolution is not one I would recommend. Thank you @Skier31 for mentioning Rolfing as a possible solution. That will be my next appointment, I have reconnected with my rolfer who is back working now. I do believe the calf muscle and of course the connective tissue can be addressed in Rolfing, which puts the whole body back together rather then just focusing on say PT for the foot. I know my issue is a bit different but I can commiserate with others who have foot pain - you don't realize how important healthy feet are until you develop an issue.....
Do you ever have hot burning pain?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you ever have hot burning pain?
Not really.... ? no neuromas or any other abnormality noted on MRI other than 'arthritis' - there was a definite "incident" which resulted in initial swelling and redness plus several days of pain to the point of not wanting to do anything. I thought it was gout. Pain would come and go depending on what activities I did. I am assuming I had an over use injury and then pissed off my sesamoids which seem to be much better once I changed shoes...

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I could wear flip-flops very often! Especially since I own at least six or seven pair of Teva Mush sandals! Mostly I wear them around the house now. Otherwise for sandals I am using ones that do not require me to grip with my toes to hold them on. As pretty much all flip-flops do. I’ve got open and closed toe Teva and Keen sandals which are much better for my decrepit feet. I was probably going to have rotten feet after years of wearing high heels at work, especially since I was not lightweight for quite a number of them. This quote sort of explains my feet issues, (well, besides these, a Morton’s Neuroma, fat pads sliding leaving skin and bone …. What a wreck!!)

“Toe problems​

To keep a flip flop on your foot, your toes must grasp the shoe almost constantly. Constant gripping can cause tendonitis in your toes. The condition is quite painful and can lead to tears or ruptures of your tendons. Wearing flip flops too often can also cause bunions or hammer toes to develop. Hammer toes occur when the joints contract, causing your toe to bend abnormally.”

I have bunions on both feet. Worse on the right where my big toe feels perfectly happy to step on the second toe. My ski boot orthotic has a “gas pedal“ under the big toe. And the boot fitter also molded me a piece of silicone and I don’t know what stuff. Sorry for how scientific that was! Basically it is a removable piece to put in between my big toe and second toe to keep them from crossing and also add a little more lift under the big toe to bring it up closer to the level of the other toes. Very creative and it definitely helped my foot and the feel in the right ski boot.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I wondered about these. Does she only wear the athletic styles? I saw once they had a ballet flat style that supposedly had support but I’ve never tried them.
Hers is a tie shoe.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna