• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

From Plantar Fasciitis to Minimal Running Shoes?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone been successful at "training" or rehabbing plantar fasciitis to the point where you can wear minimal running shoes such as Altras without issue?

My problem-child right foot has more issues than I do; I've been to PT to literally learn to walk properly on it, and it's constantly prone to plantar fasciitis. (it likes to roll outward and then pronate; a flagrant "f-you" to skeletal convention. And the small toes are all squished together like it's trying to form a petulant little fist).

Lately I've been doing some aggressive rehab on that foot that includes wearing toe separators around the house, doing "toe yoga," foot-strengthening and balance exercises, stretching calf muscles, etc.

I've seen some improvement, and yesterday I went out to do some trail work carrying a 30-pound leaf-blower on my back and hiking about 5 pretty steep miles. I did this in a pair of Altras that are supposed to help with plantar fasciitis, but I also put a 3/4 arch-support insole in them. It wasn't bad, and I really liked the wide toebox. When I focused on really using my toes better, it made a big difference in feeling more balanced and stable.

Anyway, tl;dr, I'm starting to come around to the idea that if I'm careful and diligent, I might be able to rehab my feet to the point at which I can ditch the stiff insoles I always wear and just wear the very-comfortable Altras that otherwise fit and feel so much better than my other athletic shoes.

What sayest Divas on the subject?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat have you checked Petra Fisher's Fix Your Feet program? It's free. https://www.petrafishermovement.com/fix-feet-2/

I like minimal shoes but they're not always the answer. It does take time to transition to them. That said, I love the room I have in my Altra Lone Peak hiking shoes, and I like that they are zero drop. That really helps with one's posture.

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the following info today in a newsletter email on foot health. It might be of interest to you.

Calf weakness correlates strongly with injuries such as Achilles tendinitis and plantar fasciitis. The Heel-Rise Metronome Test is a fast, reliable way to quantify your calf strength.
-Download a free metronome app
-Set it to 60bpm
-Find an incline of at least 10 degrees and
-See where you fall for your age range

Dr. Tom Michaud has made a short video on how to perform this easy test. You can determine just how strong your calves are by referring to the data based on gender and age. The Heel-Rise Metronome Test also serves as a great way to monitor and celebrate your progress.

heel raise metronome test

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I had awful PF a number of years ago. Nothing worked -- not exercises, cortisone shots, a sleeping brace -- until they finally put my foot in a cast for a month. THAT worked. Haven't had it since.

Good luck!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like minimal shoes but they're not always the answer. It does take time to transition to them. That said, I love the room I have in my Altra Lone Peak hiking shoes, and I like that they are zero drop. That really helps with one's posture.
Vicki, thanks so much for the resource! I'm going to try the heel-rise test today.
I love zero-drop shoes, as well; they eliminated running-related injuries for me, except for the pernicious PF.

Wendy, that would almost be worth it! (Only during stick season, though!)

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I’ve had mild PF, one foot, for the past year, managed with AM stretching before getting out of bed, over the counter footbeds, and a rule to never be barefoot, not even 1 step, except in the shower or in bed. It got strikingly better after a 2 week ski safari this past winter, with 11 of 14 days spent skiing (I typically ski 5-10 days per season). I think my boots, newly tweaked with drop in footbeds and small heel wedges, served as a type of cast, pushing and maintaining my foot in better alignment for a 2 week period. Is it possible that ski boots are therapeutic?

teppaz

Angel Diva
I had two bad bouts of PF that prevented me from playing tennis for months on end. The thing that finally fixed it was a combo of deep tissue massage + strengthening calves and quads at the gym + changing slippers/house shoes to German Haflinger clogs (amazing support) + Merrells, Brooks and KSwiss shoes.

PF has not returned in several years now (cross fingers).

Zard

Certified Ski Diva
Had horrible pf years ago, took me a year to get rid of it. I had a pt session they used dry needles, exercise, rolling on baseball, scraping the fascia, finally cupping my calves fixed it.
I also threw away any shoes that had no arch support. Bought dansco clogs and Birkenstock Sandals and pf slippers. I don’t walk barefoot at home anymore and I’m careful about buying running sneakers. I haven’t had a reoccurrence since.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish Altra would make a shoe with real arch support. Or maybe an arch-support insole that fits the wide toe area of their shoes.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
changing slippers/house shoes to German Haflinger clogs (amazing support) +
I swear by these as well…the ones w cork footbed. They are too hot in summer though. Then I switch to Crocs Patricia wedge sandal. Surprisingly excellent support from those.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I swear by these as well…the ones w cork footbed. They are too hot in summer though. Then I switch to Crocs Patricia wedge sandal. Surprisingly excellent support from those.
Interesting! I find the Crocs I've worn to be too squishy to provide good support. I'll have to check the Patricia's out!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll post more later but the Oofos flip flops are helping me with a related foot issue -

Jenny

Angel Diva
I wish Altra would make a shoe with real arch support. Or maybe an arch-support insole that fits the wide toe area of their shoes.
Me, too! They could add a bit more height in the toebox, too, when they make an insert that fits.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Interesting! I find the Crocs I've worn to be too squishy to provide good support. I'll have to check the Patricia's out!
It’s the wedge itself, at least for my feet. In a flat,or Crocs clogs for that matter, my foot pronates more. Modest heel reduces that, and wedge supports the mid foot more. The Patricia is better for walking than I would ever expect for a slip on, too. And no, I’m not a Crocs rep!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Exactly, cork footbed is the key. Huge fan of the Grizzly model from Haflinger. I wear it year round: I find the boiled wool surprisingly pleasant in summer. Mind you I don’t wear them outside.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna