• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Football starts tonight!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
So ladies, does anyone have any ideas for tailgating food recipes?

I've been planning the menu for my group so far this season. I don't do the actual cooking, more like planning and some of the shopping/prep as necessary.

Week 1 was a 1pm game, so tailgating started at 8:30am. We did mushroom/tomato/garlic omelets, ham, and potatoes on the grill, danishes, mimosas. After the game we made cheeseburgers and finished off the left off bubbly.

Week 2 was an 8:30pm game, so tailgating started at 4pm. We did grilled chicken I'd previously marinated, garlic mashed potatoes, salad, chocolate chip cookies I baked that morning and various vodka cocktails.

This Sunday is another 1pm game, and I'm trying to think of something beyond the regular breakfast menu, or at least more brunch like. I'd especially love more drink ideas beyond mimosas because they kind of give me heartburn drinking more than a couple and I don't like bloody marys. Thoughts?

altagirl

Staff member
Is it just the OJ or the bubbly that you want to avoid?

What about breakfast burritos/tacos? I like doing a pork roast in the slow cooker, and then you can add scrambled eggs and salsa and whatnot?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Is it just the OJ or the bubbly that you want to avoid?

What about breakfast burritos/tacos? I like doing a pork roast in the slow cooker, and then you can add scrambled eggs and salsa and whatnot?

I guess probably the OJ is the worse part of the equation. Do you have other ideas to add to the bubbly, just try other juices?

I was actually thinking about a breakfast burrito type thing yesterday! :smile: Do you have a recipe/instructions for the slow cooker roast?

altagirl

Staff member
I guess probably the OJ is the worse part of the equation. Do you have other ideas to add to the bubbly, just try other juices?

I was actually thinking about a breakfast burrito type thing yesterday! :smile: Do you have a recipe/instructions for the slow cooker roast?

I start with just searing the meat in a skillet, then stick it in the crock pot. One variation is to just add a pile of diced roasted green chiles and some salt. Cook on low for like 8-10 hrs or until it falls apart. You can add onion but then you get a lot more liquid and it's basically stew.

Ridiculously easy! And it freezes well, so I tend to make huge batches when chiles are in season.

altagirl

Staff member
And for drinks, lots of juices work. I’ve also found tasty mixers at the farmers market or whole foods that are basically elder flower syrup, that are amazing. Or if you don't mind adding extra alcohol, you can go with St. Germain for a similar taste.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, last night's home game for the AFC Championship sure was better than traveling to another stadium for it like I did last year. lol It also helps that we won and are heading to the Super Bowl this time obviously! I don't think I truly understood how much home field advantage can do before yesterday, I LOVE the camaraderie and "oneness" in the stadium when everyone is cheering for the same thing. It was crazy and loud and wonderful the entire night.. I don't think I've ever screamed so much for hours on end, I'm shocked I have a voice left this morning. It can be so so loud when the visitors are up, and then you can practically hear a pin drop when it's time for our boys to work offensively. If all goes well I'll be in Houston for the big game, lots of planning and logistics ongoing, fingers crossed! :yahoo:

Last weekend the handouts at the game were pom poms, which I LOVED and enthusiastically utilized for the entire game haha. They were not hard to get on the way into the game, and all was calm. This week it was this towel below (appropriate in regard to our opponents and the infamous "terrible towel", which almost every Steeler's fan I saw had with them and were waving around and I thought that was cool). Anyway, I practically got trampled trying to get a couple of these hot commodities on the way in, it was crazy how popular these things were. I get kind of anxious when I'm in a crowd that's too tightly packed and pressing in on you, not to mention the crowd at a football game is heavily male and therefore everyone around was much bigger than me. Luckily I survived, and got a cool prop to twirl during the game/souvenir.

towel.jpg

Last edited:

brenda kelley

Certified Ski Diva
Playoff games were a bust . .. way too one sided. But the Super Bowl going to be awesome. The teams are even matched. Go Falcons!!! This southern gal looking forward to a great game.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So ladies, does anyone have any ideas for tailgating food recipes?

I've been planning the menu for my group so far this season. I don't do the actual cooking, more like planning and some of the shopping/prep as necessary.

Week 1 was a 1pm game, so tailgating started at 8:30am. We did mushroom/tomato/garlic omelets, ham, and potatoes on the grill, danishes, mimosas. After the game we made cheeseburgers and finished off the left off bubbly.

Week 2 was an 8:30pm game, so tailgating started at 4pm. We did grilled chicken I'd previously marinated, garlic mashed potatoes, salad, chocolate chip cookies I baked that morning and various vodka cocktails.

This Sunday is another 1pm game, and I'm trying to think of something beyond the regular breakfast menu, or at least more brunch like. I'd especially love more drink ideas beyond mimosas because they kind of give me heartburn drinking more than a couple and I don't like bloody marys. Thoughts?
Peach Bellinis, with Peach Nectar instead of hand grated peaches.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Playoff games were a bust . .. way too one sided. But the Super Bowl going to be awesome. The teams are even matched. Go Falcons!!! This southern gal looking forward to a great game.

Last weekend had some really close and exciting games, so that round was really fun and put on an amazing show I thought. Everyone in the games this weekend were great teams, so I was kind of surprised by how one sided they both ended up, but it happens. The playoffs are like one game seasons, so you never really know what you're going to get I guess. Obviously as a fan of the Patriots I had no interest in a close nail biter of a game, and was perfectly fine running away with the win from the get go. I was never satisfied or thought we had it in the bag until that clock ran down to the end, we cheered our hearts out with the same vigor from start to finish. I was disappointed in the Green Bay / Falcons game having watched that during tailgating, thought it was going to be more competitive to watch.. I had been betting on Green Bay winning personally after seeing them on fire last week. That's football though, any given Sunday.. I think the Super Bowl should be very exciting, two great teams remaining!

Last edited:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
home field advantage is awesome...especially when your crazy fans pull the fire alarm at the opposing team's hotel at three am. Although, they did double cover Antonio Brown and rendered him useless. Ben was spot on, but our receivers couldn't catch the ball to save their lives...must have had blurry eyes from lack of sleep still. :wink: And of course an injury to the groin of our number one rusher in the first quarter had nothing to do with it. :rotf: Seriously, at least we beat the bruins in Hockey. Steelers sucked out loud that game. so agree...any given sunday. (which oddly is the AKC name of my dog's sire, Any Given Sunday. They called him Peyton though.) Good luck to you in the super bowl...but I'll be rooting for Atlanta.:becky:

MissySki

Angel Diva
home field advantage is awesome...especially when your crazy fans pull the fire alarm at the opposing team's hotel at three am. Although, they did double cover Antonio Brown and rendered him useless. Ben was spot on, but our receivers couldn't catch the ball to save their lives...must have had blurry eyes from lack of sleep still. :wink: And of course an injury to the groin of our number one rusher in the first quarter had nothing to do with it. :rotf: Seriously, at least we beat the bruins in Hockey. Steelers sucked out loud that game. so agree...any given sunday. (which oddly is the AKC name of my dog's sire, Any Given Sunday. They called him Peyton though.) Good luck to you in the super bowl...but I'll be rooting for Atlanta.:becky:

Yeah, that was interesting.. I definitely do not condone the antics of drunken idiots with the fire alarm thing!

I'm sure the entire country outside of New England will be rooting the same! lol

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just marked the game on my calendar-- with the Pats playing again this year, I am hoping for some quieter slopes that day here in New England :wink:

MissySki

Angel Diva
The super bowl was one of the most exhilarating events I've ever been to!! It obviously helped that it turned into such an exciting game for Patriots fans in the third quarter. Regardless of what was going on, I screamed my heart out anytime our defense was on that field, everything just got a lot more frenzied later on. The levels of emotion and stress I felt during that 4+ hours was crazy lol. The adrenaline left me feeling like I had just ran a marathon when all was said and done, I was weak and shaky feeling my heart was pounding out of my chest, my breathing was fast, I was soaked in sweat, I was wide awake but my body felt completely spent, and so on and so forth. I LOVE the energy in a stadium, and it was unbelievably strong there. The camaraderie was amazing as well, we shared a lot of highs and lows that day, and I've never had so many group hugs with strangers as I did that night when we scored the final TD. At the after party I kept feeling like I was in a fog and that the whole day hadn't even happened. Everyone around me, and myself included, kept checking news links on our phones to make sure it had really gone down the way we thought because it didn't feel real, it was sooooooo strange! I didn't make it to bed until 4:30am that night and my mind was still going so fast I was wide awake.

All in all it was an amazing experience that I'll never forget, and I hope I'll get to experience another one because I'm hooked. I don't think many people will forget this super bowl any time soon!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga