• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Football starts tonight!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Is anyone else excited that it's the first game of the regular season tonight!? :smile: As a Patriot's fan, I am especially excited since opening night is right here and everyone around me has football fever and is wearing some kind of Patriots gear to work today, myself included. I wish I was going to the game in person, but I'm also kind of okay with being on my couch for the game since the weather is supposed to be interesting tonight..

For the first time I'm also co-managing a fantasy football team with one of my coworkers so that should be interesting. I'm usually the type only to watch my own team play, now I need to learn about other players, I'm thinking this is going to get more time consuming than in the past haha. All of the girls got left out of our fantasy draft at work, I was quite annoyed by this so one of my coworkers offered to bring me onto his team.. now I feel pressure to up my game as the only representing female lol. Next year the league will be open to women regardless, so at least I'll get some practice in this year.

Anyone else playing in a fantasy football league?

I am soooo excited football starts tonight. I have the pizza flyer in my purse so I can order and pick up dinner on the way home. I have told Michael we aren't going to the gym and there will be pizza and wings and football in our house tonight. Not wearing any jersey today but wish I were. One of the gals that sits near me is wearing a Pats jersey. She got a little grief from this other guy that sits near me because we are in the greater NY area so one can also be a NY fan. Its just the fun camaraderie that I love so much.

I am running the survivor pool for my office for the first time ever. I was a little nervous about running it but the web based program we use pretty much does it all so I just need to collect money. I am actually thinking about joining a fantasy league now that I know players n stuff.

I am so friggen excited for tonight

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am soooo excited football starts tonight. I have the pizza flyer in my purse so I can order and pick up dinner on the way home. I have told Michael we aren't going to the gym and there will be pizza and wings and football in our house tonight. Not wearing any jersey today but wish I were. One of the gals that sits near me is wearing a Pats jersey. She got a little grief from this other guy that sits near me because we are in the greater NY area so one can also be a NY fan. Its just the fun camaraderie that I love so much.

I am running the survivor pool for my office for the first time ever. I was a little nervous about running it but the web based program we use pretty much does it all so I just need to collect money. I am actually thinking about joining a fantasy league now that I know players n stuff.

I am so friggen excited for tonight

Nice! I will be doing yoga after work, but then it's taco night and football. I'm unhappy that the kickoff is so late because I've been struggling to stay awake past 10pm lately, hopefully the game will be exciting enough to keep me awake!

You are in a unique spot, here you better be a Pats fan or you'd be getting a ton of grief lol. We do have some fans of other teams for other sports, but I don't think for football. I work around 10 mins from the stadium, so it's tough for people here not to be on board with such a great team!

The girls were going to start our own fantasy league, but we are quite out of time now so... My partner for the league I am doing is all about football, so I think I'm in good hands for learning the ropes and more about how to strategize. :smile:

I was tempted to do yoga tonight. Maybe I will see how I feel. I am coming off of a cold so don't want to get too wild and crazy lol. Yeah that's the benefit of football on the west coast. Happy Hour football games during the week (530pm kickoff) and mimosa games on sundays (10am kickoff). Hope its a good game tonight. Tacos sound good, I think I am hungry for lunch ha ha.

Glad you have a mentor for league :smile:

I almost want to just have my picks rely on auto pick. I won my pool last year, this year I'm running it so I kind of want to be low key lol.

altagirl

Staff member
I did fantasy football for a couple years, but am not doing it this year. It is definitely fun to get involved in paying attention to players outside your normal favorite team(s). I'm a Bears fan, but basically also became a Broncos fan while playing fantasy football. I picked Peyton as my QB that first year he came back and just got endless crap during drafting from my competitors because he wasn't ever going to come back from neck surgery, etc. Man, did that ever work out well. And it's hard for me to not root for the "old", injured guy making a comeback, you know? Especially when I took a risk and called it on my team that first year! :smile:

Like a lot of things in my life, I kind of went overboard and was watching basically ALL the football games and decided to call it quits so I can do other things in my life other than watch football. I still usually watch three games a week (Bears, Broncos, and Patriots - since they are DH's team). And that's enough of a time commitment!

Good luck to all you ladies playing fantasy football this year though!

altagirl

Staff member
Nice! I will be doing yoga after work, but then it's taco night and football. I'm unhappy that the kickoff is so late because I've been struggling to stay awake past 10pm lately, hopefully the game will be exciting enough to keep me awake!

You are in a unique spot, here you better be a Pats fan or you'd be getting a ton of grief lol. We do have some fans of other teams for other sports, but I don't think for football. I work around 10 mins from the stadium, so it's tough for people here not to be on board with such a great team!

The girls were going to start our own fantasy league, but we are quite out of time now so... My partner for the league I am doing is all about football, so I think I'm in good hands for learning the ropes and more about how to strategize. :smile:

We don't have a real "local" NFL team here either, so our office and local friends are a mishmash of fans from all over the place (Raiders, Steelers, Browns, Packers, Lions, Vikings, Cowboys, etc...). I honestly find that a lot more fun than when I've lived places where everyone is rooting for the same team. And it's not like you don't get grief about your team choice, it's just that for the most part everyone gets it equally. :smile:

Was just talking to the head of our IT department as he gave me his football pool money and he has an interesting way to go about the season. He doesn't have "a team". He and his buddy watched the games for a couple weeks and they each pick an underdog and root for that team all season. He just loves football and its an excuse to BBQ and crack open a beer. I think that's a cool/different way to go about it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I did fantasy football for a couple years, but am not doing it this year. It is definitely fun to get involved in paying attention to players outside your normal favorite team(s). I'm a Bears fan, but basically also became a Broncos fan while playing fantasy football. I picked Peyton as my QB that first year he came back and just got endless crap during drafting from my competitors because he wasn't ever going to come back from neck surgery, etc. Man, did that ever work out well. And it's hard for me to not root for the "old", injured guy making a comeback, you know? Especially when I took a risk and called it on my team that first year! :smile:

Like a lot of things in my life, I kind of went overboard and was watching basically ALL the football games and decided to call it quits so I can do other things in my life other than watch football. I still usually watch three games a week (Bears, Broncos, and Patriots - since they are DH's team). And that's enough of a time commitment!

Good luck to all you ladies playing fantasy football this year though!

Years ago I did fantasy basketball and that was also nuts because it got to the point of watching almost every game every night..

I've been researching our 2 QB options for this weekend at lunch today. haha I just got brought on officially this morning, so I didn't participate in the draft itself last Friday. Week one is so hard when you haven't seen ppl play and don't know how they are going to actually play in the regular season. Lots and lots of analysis online to look at though lol. My co-manager has a total of 7 different leagues he's playing in, I cannot imagine being able to keep it all straight!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
UGH. The only "good news" in the starting of Football season for me is that it just means that ski season is approaching.:tongue:

MissySki

Angel Diva
UGH. The only "good news" in the starting of Football season for me is that it just means that ski season is approaching.:tongue:

Haha well in general it does at least signal that to me as well.. yay fall and let's hurry up and get here winter!! :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love football season, but being a total UNfan of both teams tonight, I won't be watching!
Our neighborhood is doing a fantasy football league, but seeing that they initially did not invite women to participate, both my husband and I are forgoing that. I hate stereotypes, but it is a typical Utah culture thing, I am finding out.

That reminds me of when I won our office pool last year. The guy who ran the pool actually had the gall to ask me if I had any help. What because I'm a girl. Grrrr that made me mad. Would he have asked a guy that likely not.

altagirl

Staff member
I love football season, but being a total UNfan of both teams tonight, I won't be watching!
Our neighborhood is doing a fantasy football league, but seeing that they initially did not invite women to participate, both my husband and I are forgoing that. I hate stereotypes, but it is a typical Utah culture thing, I am finding out.

Hey, this means you talk to your neighbors a lot more than I do. ;-) Neither my husband or I would have any idea if such a thing was going on in our neighborhood. The league I participated in was coed and just among friends, mostly here in Utah.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well the boys at work say that they just "didn't think to ask any of the girls to join".. mmmhmmmm. Next year I believe we will all be invited after the stink we put up this year haha. Though in their defense I think it was only really me and 1-2 other women who were upset by it because we did want to participate. Hopefully my team kicks butt this year so the only 1/2 girl team wins! :smile: When it comes to sports there can definitely still be a male dominant theme wherever you are I think. There is someone else who also runs a weekly pool where you pick out the winners for every game, this is my first year doing that as well, but at least that is offered to the company as a whole and not just specific people.

The whole getting left out thing was actually a blessing in disguise in one respect. One of my female coworkers and I were yaking about the fantasy football thing and for some reason came up with wanting to start a monthly after work type thing for our coworkers so we could hang out and get to know eachother outside of work.. build camaraderie and team feelings etc. So we are starting that, got a pretty good response yesterday when I emailed the ideas we had out to a bunch of people. Has nothing to do with sports, but it is inclusive to men and women and we are going to start with events like bowling/billiards, poker nights, escape/puzzle rooms, trivia night etc. I can't wait! :smile: Still not sure how it randomly came up from being left out of a sports thing, but we are going with it.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I have loved football since I was a little girl and my dad had season tickets to the Jets. No other 9 year old girls in my class read his biography, "I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow Because I Get Better Looking Every Day," with a memorable chapter entitled, "I Like My Women Blonde and My Johnny Walker Red."

I cannot wait until tonight's game. In my house, we have the conference covered -- Jet, Patriot or Bills are fine. It's really tough when they play each other....

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, this means you talk to your neighbors a lot more than I do. ;-) Neither my husband or I would have any idea if such a thing was going on in our neighborhood. The league I participated in was coed and just among friends, mostly here in Utah.
Well, our neighborhood has a FB group, which is how we found out. The original post was directed towards the "gentlemen" of the neighborhood. I still kind of want to get on there and tell them how I'd have kicked all their asses had they not made it only open to men. Being in the 15% minority can be tiresome at times here...thankfully the 15% of us have our own private drinking group and parties! We get to host this weekend. :tongue::beer:

3 minutes til kickoff. 12 people in my office football pool. Let's do this. ...... Happy Football season everyone!!!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna