• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Foot pain on the beginning of a ski day

SnowBall

Certified Ski Diva
I always get this and I was just wondering if others do. My feet have to go through this crampy tight pain on the first couple runs of a ski day EVERY TIME! It doesn't bother me while i'm skiing down but once I get to the lift then AHHH!! :eek: I have to bare this pain! But it always goes away after a couple runs. Does everyone get this, or is it just me!?

abc

Banned
No, it's not just you. I get the same.

But I'm a whimp. So I either go into the lodge and take the boot off for a minute or two, or at least loosen up the boot on the chair up.

Somehow, once I got the blood going in my feet, the pain and cramp goes away.

I think there was another thread about this issue a while back...

skiso

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Custom foot beds have eliminated the unbearable pain I used to get. Still, when I'm not the one driving I try to ride with my boots on and buckled tight to get my feet and ankles accustomed to the pressure. It's a 2-hour drive so this can make a difference.

Christy

Angel Diva
I get this with my custom foodbeds but it only lasts about 10 minutes, then it goes away, so I ignore it.

SnowBall

Certified Ski Diva
Haha, I guess it's something I just have to go through each time! But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I was wondering if something was wrong with my boot fit :-)

GimpyGal

Certified Ski Diva
I sometimes get a little arch pain at the start of the day but it mainly depends on conditions. If it's soft then no pain. Firmer and I'm hanging on a bit then my feet will be barking at the bottom. If I can remember I will start the day with my boots one or two turns of the second buckle looser and then tighten them up after a couple runs. That usually keeps the arch pain away.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe some of this can be helped.
What kind of liners and footbeds do you have?

SnowBall

Certified Ski Diva
I have to try loosening the boots on the first couple runs, I never did because I thought I just needed to get over it quickly and I thought loosening might just prolong the pain.

I use Super Feet insoles. I got them after my foot surgery to put into my tennis shoes. I take them out and put them into my boots instead of the one that came with the boots. I use the blue one, by the way.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
couple things come to mind, keeping in mind that I'm not a boot fitter and am just speaking from some personal experience.

First:
You may want to check your superfeet to make sure that they fit your liners like they're supposed to. Your tennis shoes may have a different "form" than your boot liners which could prevent the superfeet from being in the position they should be.
Compare the superfeet "trim to fit" to the stock foot beds that came in the liners. You may need to have a dedicated pair for your ski boots.

Second:
Some liners, not all, have a warm foot memory(for lack of a better term).
Start your first run or two with your boots slightly loose, then tighten them down.
You'll be amazed at the amount of comfort you'll get from that.

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if it is the same with skiing but a common cause of foot pain with inline skaters is what is called "monkey toes" where the toes are clenched. I've had foot pain a couple of times skating and the pain quickly disappeared once I relaxed my feet.

I think monkey toes are from fear or stress etc. You don't notice that you are clenching your toes until your feet start to hurt.

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is absolutely what happens to me, but I never heard it called monkey toes. I clench, and I know it's fear, even when I'm not conscious of being afraid. I have to tell my feet to relax! Otherwise the pain can be intense.

abc

Banned
Some liners, not all, have a warm foot memory(for lack of a better term).
That's an interesting point.

I wonder if that might be the cause of my problem. I've tried every way to deal with it but nothing seem to work except just WAIT until my feet warmed up!

That's also why I like spring skiing more. No first run foot pain in warm weather!

SnowBall

Certified Ski Diva
Good point on maybe getting a dedicated pair of Superfeet for my boots. And i'm also going to have to check if my toes are being Monkey Toes (I love the word, lol) on the first run, that could be a possibility. Does it supposed to hurt the whole foot? Because my whole feet (form ankle down) feel the dull pain. But when I think of it, I got the pain when I rollerbladed before too....hmm. I don't think the temperature affects mine. I get it on spring skiing too...

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monkey Toes (I love the word, lol) on the first run, that could be a possibility. Does it supposed to hurt the whole foot? Because my whole feet (form ankle down) feel the dull pain. But when I think of it, I got the pain when I rollerbladed before too....hmm.

I don't remember my ankles hurting but I know the top and bottom of my instep hurt when I was Monkey Toeing.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good point on maybe getting a dedicated pair of Superfeet for my boots. And i'm also going to have to check if my toes are being Monkey Toes (I love the word, lol) on the first run, that could be a possibility. Does it supposed to hurt the whole foot? Because my whole feet (form ankle down) feel the dull pain. But when I think of it, I got the pain when I rollerbladed before too....hmm. I don't think the temperature affects mine. I get it on spring skiing too...

I know exactly what you are talking about, and have experienced it many times before. I attributed it (my own personal research, nothing official) to clenching toes/feet, but because of too much looseness in boots rather than fear. I put up with it for a good amount of time until I figured it out, then tightened up my boots a bit (which took time to figure out, which buckles to just tighten a bit vs. those that needed to be a whole buckle latch tighter). I don't have custom foot beds or anything special, so I can't help you there. But once I found that 'sweet spot' in my boot tightening I haven't had it since.

My theory: I think when you put a boot on inside they feel fine, but once you actually ski and your body is zooming down, your foot tends to move forward in the boot, and if there's too much room it will go too far forward - so your foot clenches to try to keep the foot where it belongs. Who knows if it's correct, but I did solve the problems without spending a penny or getting new boots.

SnowBall

Certified Ski Diva
That makes perfect sense. So you solved the problem by tightening the boot more? Who knew, your instinct would tell you to loosen the boots in the situation! I'm going to try that next time (maybe next season.... :(....)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Generally speaking, I take two runs of the day on the first buckle, then I tighten up the buckles, which tends to give me happy feet!

This may not be the way for everyone but it works for me. :smile:

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Generally speaking, I take two runs of the day on the first buckle, then I tighten up the buckles, which tends to give me happy feet!

This may not be the way for everyone but it works for me. :smile:

Same with me, have to crank it down a slot after a run or two. Didn't start this until the boots softened up a bit though.

Snoball...be carefuly tightenting, I mentioned it takes some trial/error, b/c if I crank it down too much, my feet go numb. Usually you can adjust your buckles by small increments, rather than having to go a whole notch - I'd start there and see what happens. Sorry your ski season is over...one more day left for me - yahoo!

SnowBall

Certified Ski Diva
I do have the micro adjustments on my buckles where you can spin them around and adjust little by little.

My season seems to be over so far (I live in San Diego and it needs to be a "trip" to go to a decent resort) but I heard Mammoth could go up to the Independence Day(!!) so if I'm lucky I may be able to squeeze one more :-D

skatha

Certified Ski Diva
Midfoot pain is related to arch collapse.
I'd get orthotics for sure, maintain your arch and the foot pain won't come.
Also, google plantar fasciitis and use those stretches before you go, that's after you get the orthotics...
If you like the superfoot product, they make a moldable corkbed product. I have a pair in my ski boots, I'm thinking about getting a pair made for my new XC boots...
Also, with your footbeds, get your liners remolded with them inside and a trip to a bootfitter is never a bad idea. My alpine snowboard boots(hard boots) have a wrench made for cant adjustment. Some ankle and then foot pain can be due to cant misalignment.
And, depending on your foot/arch anatomy, a particular size superfoot product may not fit you. I'm supposed to go to "D" size based on my shoe length, but my arch placement puts me in the "C" size....
Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga