• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flying with skis - ANA

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all - we’re flying to Japan/ Tokyo on ANA for spring break - has anyone flown with skis on this carrier? Do they restrict your ski bag to just ski equipment or will they allow us to pad it with clothes, boots and other gear? I read that airlines were getting stricter so thought to ask. I just ordered a large bag thinking to use the extra space for gear. Thanks!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've flown with them between Sydney and Sapporo (caveat: not for a few years): I've never seen them care particularly about what's in your bag as long as it's within the specified dimensions: I saw one time at check-in a bloke having to get his ski gear out and wear it on the plane as it was overweight and he didn't want to pay the excess fees. If in doubt, ANA are very helpful if you send them a query.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all - we’re flying to Japan/ Tokyo on ANA for spring break - has anyone flown with skis on this carrier? Do they restrict your ski bag to just ski equipment or will they allow us to pad it with clothes, boots and other gear? I read that airlines were getting stricter so thought to ask. I just ordered a large bag thinking to use the extra space for gear. Thanks!

I saw this note on this page:
Please note that if you pack ski equipment such as skis, poles, snowboards and boots individually, each item will be subject to an excess baggage charge.

Dunno if clothes are restricted, but it sounds like a large bag so you can put all the equipment together is the way to go.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, weirdly found this too googling ANA ski baggage:

What are the chances that they have a page specifically for ANA?

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw that too. It was very odd though. Bec it’s more an ad for shipskis than anything. I wonder if it’s an automatically generated page depending on search term.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup it is. I did the same search for United and now it has a page for that too! Also I did actually look into ship skis. They quoted $600 for a round trip service for a 50lb bag. So I decided to just lug our skis bec we have luggage allowance anyway.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw this note on this page:

Dunno if clothes are restricted, but it sounds like a large bag so you can put all the equipment together is the way to go.
Yes I saw that - I think it’s more saying you shouldn’t split the gear across multiple bags. I actually bought a double snowboard bag with a plan to pack two skis and a snowboard plus whatever we can stuff to add some padding.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw that too. It was very odd though. Bec it’s more an ad for shipskis than anything. I wonder if it’s an automatically generated page depending on search term.
Yup it is. I did the same search for United and now it has a page for that too! Also I did actually look into ship skis. They quoted $600 for a round trip service for a 50lb bag. So I decided to just lug our skis bec we have luggage allowance anyway.

Bait! Makes me less likely to use them with those tactics.

RuthB

Angel Diva
We've not flown with ANA, but have flown into and out of Japan with ski bags which had ski clothing inside in additionto skis, poles etc and we had no problems. The two things you need to pay attention to are weight, keep it under 23kg or 50lb, and even more importantly the dimensions listed on the ANA website. Check in agents do have tape measures and they do use them.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve flown by Japan Air and All Nippon Air in recent years, both generous with check-in ski gear as long as kept under weight limit. Dimension? Hasn’t been a concern for me since I’ve gotten away with using snowboard bag for my skis.

Note if you are transferring to another Japanese airport from Tokyo, you must claim your luggages and check them back in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna