• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First thoughts on 2016 Blizzard Samba

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2016 Blizzard Samba

Length/size Tested:

166 cm

Sidecut

131/98/116mm

TR: 19M

Tip and Tail Rocker, Slight Camber underfoot, flip core technology

Other Skis in Class:

*Volkl Aura

*Nordica Nemesis

*Nordica Santa Ana

*Head Great Joy

Environment of Conditions:

Varied - Chalky groomers, fresh, chopped up mank.

Runs taken: too many to count

Tester Info:

Height/Weight: 5'6" 135 (ish)lbs

Average days on snow: 70+

Years Skiing: 30

Current Quiver: Head Super Joy, Rossignol SL, Scott TheSki, Blizzard Samba, Blizzard Sheeva, Nordica Wild Fire

What more can I possibly say about the 2016 Blizzard Samba that I haven’t already said about the previous 3 Sambas?

I expected to take the 2016 Samba for the spin and experience the same things I’ve loved about the previous Sambas from carving to moguls and everything in between, and I did except… is it possible that this Samba feels more nimble?

The 2016 Blizzard Flipcore line up on the mens side of the wall has included carbon tip and tail, while Blizzard says that the women’s side is unchanged this year.

This got me thinking: Is it possible that I’ve been without a Samba in my life long enough that this just feels more nimble compared to the skis I’ve been getting out on?

Is it possible that my skiing has changed while skiing on carvers the past few months?

Maybe, or maybe, just maybe, the 2016 Samba is everything that I love about previous Sambas, but better!

Conditions skied so far: Firm groomers (emphasis on firm), spring like mank, and unforgiving moguls.

Everything I skied with these just seemed effortless.

Being back on the Samba was like reuniting with my best friend and picking up right where we left off.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Enabler!
Now I'm going to have to get the newer ones at the end of next season to supplement the previous years pair I've ridden thru two draught years!
such a fun ski for the sierra snow!

hmmm whats the Nordica Santa Ana....?
its not even WWRSA yet....

Last edited:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@WaterGirl, The Santa Ana is the women's version of the New Nordica Enforcer. Look for some long term test results from me on that ski as well. Will probably start posting some stuff on that next week.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So the Samba is still your benchmark ski, you'd say? :tongue:

I learned two major things to change in how I ski yesterday and they carried me through some of the nastiest ungroomed stuff I have ever seen. With those new skills, I can't wait to try them out on firm groomers again because I definitely wasn't driving them quite properly in it, and yet they still didn't punish me for my "lack of skills".

I have to wonder if a lot of people are "afraid" of these because they are often touted as unforgiving, etc. I know I was! One of my favorite things, though, is how stable and smooth they are when you turn them loose!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So the Samba is still your benchmark ski, you'd say? :tongue:

I learned two major things to change in how I ski yesterday and they carried me through some of the nastiest ungroomed stuff I have ever seen. With those new skills, I can't wait to try them out on firm groomers again because I definitely wasn't driving them quite properly in it, and yet they still didn't punish me for my "lack of skills".

I have to wonder if a lot of people are "afraid" of these because they are often touted as unforgiving, etc. I know I was! One of my favorite things, though, is how stable and smooth they are when you turn them loose!
Definitely still my benchmark ski!

I agree with you on the "image" of the Samba. I really think many women don't think that they will like a ski this wide or with this kind of construction as a daily driver. I'm in Colorado now for SIA with a few extra ski days built into the trip and I've only brought the Samba.
This is a ski that should be selling better than it is in the market, IMHO.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, think you might have a pair of these I could try out this Mother's Day?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think are the main differences between the Samba and the Great Joy? Considering both for my next "one ski quiver" ski. :smile:

(Might put dynafits on the Remedies and make those my touring ski. I really don't love the early rise tail for an every day ski.)

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More Samba love here. I'm a Mid Atlantic skier and ski on a small hill in Virginia. I bought these on impulse thanks to a coupon and a great deal on 2013 blemished Sambas on line, hoping I could use them on the rare snow day and in heavy spring mashed potatoes. (I previously had Black Pearls for this, but they just didn't seem to cut it in the heavy snow.) I was really afraid the Sambas might be too much ski for me based on reviews and so they sat. Finally, this past week we got a few inches of fresh, plus lots of heavy man made, and I took them out. It turned out that the first few runs I hit were quite firm, but these just railed, so stable, and really held an edge. Awesome. Then I made my way over to some slopes with heavy ungroomed, man-made snow with which I've really struggled in the past, and I was able to dance right through it. I love these skis! I'm a relative heavy weight (at 5'4" and about 150 lbs, skied the 166), and suspect that is why the Sambas worked better for me than the Pearls. For those of you who find the Pearls too soft, give the Sambas a try.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied mine in a clinic today, and am venturing more and more off-piste with them because they just eat it up.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the Black Pearls. Now I want to try the Sambas! Would it make sense to have both? Probably not.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What do you think are the main differences between the Samba and the Great Joy? Considering both for my next "one ski quiver" ski. :smile:

(Might put dynafits on the Remedies and make those my touring ski. I really don't love the early rise tail for an every day ski.)
The Samba is a little more nimble.
The Graphene construction in the Joy line is fairly stout on the skis in the top end of this class. Really solid ski.
So, think you might have a pair of these I could try out this Mother's Day?
Absolutely. I have bindings that are fairly adjustable on these and you're welcome to try them.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the Black Pearls. Now I want to try the Sambas! Would it make sense to have both? Probably not.
The Black Pearls and Sambas don't really ski the same. I could easily see them as a compliment to each other in a quiver.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, clearly you've skied it! Review!

Took out the 177 yesterday at SIA demo, skied several runs including knee-deep powder (a little tracked and heavy but dry, most of it was windblown), crud, steep chalk, hairy traverse, moguls, groomed... I don't know how they made this ski. It's so light and quick, but it still hauls ass through crud with no problem. That's not normal.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nordica made it clear that they don't intend the Santa Anna to go up against the Samba or the Nemesis, but instead they think of it as the little sister to the LaNina. They are right. I feel like the LaNina is a little wide for me on the average powder day but the Santa Anna would fill that spot easily, performing more like a powder ski that can be an all mountain ski where the Samba and Nemesis is more of an all mountain ski that is okay in powder.

I skied it on Monday in a 169 and was blown away!! Like @pinto said, the Santa Anna just did everything I wanted in the courses I put her through. I will be doing a long term test on this skis so stay tuned. :beer:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
So you're saying I should add it to the list? ;)

That makes it:
Great Joy
Samba
Santa Ana

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@RachelV your list sounds like a list I want to try!

As for the Santa Ana, I'm assuming it's less of a flopfest than the La Nina? I found that ski to be like skiing with a pair of clown shoes on. Probably great in powder but everywhere else a major fail.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna