• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ever had an unexplained loss of confidence?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Thankfully, it was a very casually-assembled group and was no biggie to split (which I did, gladly). She was absolutely a stronger (if not necessarily technically more proficient) skier than I, bigger lady, on much longer boards, a little less careful about crowds. Whatever. The day's over (thank goodness).
I'd still be interested to know people's thoughts on detuning the tips and tails of my skis slightly? Would it make them less hooky? I really think two inches of tail and the bit around the shovel might help, and shouldn't affect edge grip as they're slightly rockered anyway.
I did/do it to mine. Had a base grind and tune on a pair of mine a couple of seasons ago (later in season), got back on them, and they did the same thing to me, including one of my more hugely painful (but non-injurious, except for bruising) falls: hook/grab/down/ow. Many many say :nono: and I don't really care. I detune tips, at least (my tails all turn up, I don't believe they are detuned). Did it, got back on them > fine. You know what? Your skiing, your sport, your equipment, your preference! Try it, you might see a world of difference. I certainly did and don't much care whatever the conventional wisdom might be.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks MSL! I really can't see that it'll do any harm. Will report back.

Let's hope your next skiing experience is a much more joyful one x

Ellen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am with your decision 100% MSL. I like to ski fast on a closed course in a race. I ski fast on open trails with good visibility. I do NOT ski fast through unpredictable crowds or on crowded weekends on any regular trail. I ski somewhat defensively. I have been hit too often and had too many near misses. I like to look and listen for danger. We don't have to turn on our stupid buttons just because others do.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, normal service is resumed.

I've just returned from an amazing week in Saalbach with TONS of fresh snow every day. After I detuned the tips of my skis, they were back to being the turning demons I loved in Val D'Isere last March. The grabby feeling had gone and I could get on with skiing.

I skied far more than I ever thought I would with my fractured shoulder. I had to hold back a little, but I could use my poles and was delighted with how much I skied.

All that fresh powder was just wonderful.

Phew!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good news! Now for the TR.

SKIbell

Certified Ski Diva
2ski2moro is right! We'd live a trip report, Liquid Yellow. I'm so glad you got your MOJO back and had a great trip...I had one of those no confidence days on Saturday. I had powder blowing around over hardpack conditions which I HATE, wind, I was COLD, I just got over the flu, my boots felt like I had clown shoes on.....I told DH I felt like I forgot how to ski. Nothing felt right. Then I went skiing yesterday, and had a really nice day. Every day is different, depending on what we are dealing with. SOOOO much of the ski experience is in our heads. Anyway, glad to hear you are back on your game, girl!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga