• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ever had an unexplained loss of confidence?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Look on the bright side: you didn't have a *&%^$*@! heart attack the last time you skied!!

Liquid Yellow -- Compared with ^^^, your loss of confidence doesn't seem so bad, does it?

One of my take-aways from Blakeslee's book -- and yes, I am one who did not care for the book -- was assessing and limiting the variables:
  • Pitch
  • Visibility
  • Degree of Fatigue
  • Crowds
  • Equipment
  • Conditions
  • Width of Trail
  • Obstacles
  • Cold
  • Familiarity with Place
  • Personal Feelings
  • Group Energy
I do some amount of this all of the time to decide whether to tackle something more difficult or back down to some easier skiing. The Group Energy part is often the hardest; nobody likes to be a party pooper. But an injury can poop a party harder and for longer than any amount of wussing out I might do.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it happens quite often to me as well. Confidence plays a big part in skiing, and anything that throws you off will affect your confidence - illness, injury, equipment issues, etc. I always end the ski season feeling that I'm skiing better than ever (high confidence), and like you I start off the next season expecting the same feeling and same level that I ended with. But the new season starts off at a slightly lower level, the confidence level is lower, especially as I get older and more conscious of hurting myself, and it takes a while to get back to where I felt I left off. Another factor for me is that spring skiing often means the aptly named "hero snow", which is awesome for carving and makes everything feel so easy. The colder weather of the new season means stiffer boots, firmer snow, ice and "hardpack".

Vista freak

Angel Diva
Wow, glad I read this today. Was feeling kind of down cuz I stayed in after lunch today. It is snowing like crazy, and conditions keep getting better- but I didn't feel like I was skiing well. Nothing anybody would notice, but I felt I was working harder and definitely losing my confidence. I'll rest up today and get out early tomorrow. Hope your next trip is a great one Liquid Yellow!

mustski

Angel Diva
I also experienced a day like that this week on the same runs that I had skied effortlessly the previous day. I write it off to fatigue. My brain was eager but the body was lagging behind. Once I warmed up for a few runs it was better. Only blue cruisers were open so I kept going. There was no way I would have skied anything challenging while I was feeling like that. There are days and there are DAYS!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you end a season on such a high, it's only natural to expect to start the next season at that same level, but between weather and snow conditions, boot issues, and the fact that it was your first ski trip of the season, I can totally understand what happened to you. I've had the experience of having a scary/rough day with a slight injury mid-season and having it ruin my skiing confidence for weeks.

I can never predict what type of ski day it will be, there are so many factors: interpersonal, snow conditions, weather, equipment, energy, fitness, the list goes on and on. Plus as I am getting older, I can see how that is affecting my skiing. So I try to keep an open mind and moderate expectations, always nice to be surprised with a great ski day! You will have a wonderful time in Austria, I'm sure!

I'm glad it's not just me - I agree with the getting older thing as well. You lose that fearlessness you had when you were in your teens/early 20s. I am sure I will love Austria. It's also an 'easier' resort than Val, so that should inspire confidence too.

Liquid Yellow -- Compared with ^^^, your loss of confidence doesn't seem so bad, does it?

Yes, it rather pales into insignificance!

Another factor for me is that spring skiing often means the aptly named "hero snow", which is awesome for carving and makes everything feel so easy. The colder weather of the new season means stiffer boots, firmer snow, ice and "hardpack".

Also true. I loved the March conditions, and it was wall to wall blue sky every day.

Wow, glad I read this today. Was feeling kind of down cuz I stayed in after lunch today. It is snowing like crazy, and conditions keep getting better- but I didn't feel like I was skiing well. Nothing anybody would notice, but I felt I was working harder and definitely losing my confidence. I'll rest up today and get out early tomorrow. Hope your next trip is a great one Liquid Yellow!

Many thanks! You'll be great tomorrow :ski2:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I experienced that loss of confidence a bit this season too. I was skiing blue and easy black slopes confidently last spring and it took me a while to work up to skiing a black diamond slope this year, and I had to make sure conditions were good too - I got first tracks on a sunny day. I also had a day this season when it was snowing all day and the snow was wet and heavy, it was very easy to get caught up in it. Towards the middle of the day the snow was all chopped up and bumpy and I was really struggling in those conditions, I also had a major loss of confidence. I decided to take a lesson and it helped me a lot because the instructor helped me fix several technique issues I had. Even the instructor admitted that this kind of snow is more difficult to ski in. It's nice to hear that I'm not alone and even experienced skiers have moments of confidence loss.

Bayla

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gear issues aside - anyone have similar confidence issues with visibility? Sometimes I find I actually ski better when visibility is poor as I rely more on feeling of the snow that reacting to seeing the snow or the pitch, if that makes sense. I also read the Yikes Zone and from that I do this thing where I stop, regroup, shake it all out, get relaxed, back into form and tell myself "just focus on the next 3 turns and repeat... "

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a day very similar to what your describe last week... I had gone out the day before and skied for about 5hrs where the conditions were excellent and I felt awesome (I only quit because the lifts were closing!). The next day I was due to ski with some friends, one of whom was a total beginner. It was snowing hard with at least 2 feet of fresh, visibility was low, and my goggles kept fogging. About all I was able to do was stick to the bunny slope and hang out with my beginner friend and her boyfriend. When I tried a blue run from the top of the mountain, my legs turned to lead, I couldn't see, and my skiing sucked. I decided that I should probably call it before I got injured. A rather anticlimactic day... and my pass has been blacked out since then so I haven't been able to go and have a good day to make up for it :\ Oh well... next week will be better :smile:

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ oh, on the last day we skied what is normally a lovely red run called Fontaine Froid [probably a US blue], but the light was completely flat and it was snowing. I literally skied it like a blind beginner. I pretty much quit for the day after that.

mustski

Angel Diva
Poor visibility throws me every time. I always have this sense that I won't see a jump or a rail or another skier. I usually call it day in those conditions.

B

B.E.G.

Agree with the others about it perhaps being first day reacclimation to skiing!

I only skied once last season due to schedules, being a poor student and crappy conditions and it was just...ok. Same about the first two days this season over Thanksgiving, which has had me seriously questioning my skiing ability (I had come a long way my first season and felt great at the end of it, taking on easier blacks, skiing confidently, etc.).

Third day this season (yesterday) and I felt sooooo much better. I felt way more confident and just "on" like I haven't felt the last few times. Then I got tired in the afternoon and my skiing got much uglier but at least I knew that was why :smile:

Don't beat yourself up, get back out there and I bet we will see a glowing confident trip report from you soon!

Bayla

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Clarification: "Sometimes I find I actually ski better when visibility is poor as I rely more on feeling of the snow that reacting to seeing the snow or the pitch". I did a women's clinic on a snowy day where you couldn't see too far out in front, let alone the pitch of the trail, it was one of the best skiing days ever - a powder day! I went back the next day and could see how steep it was and felt the lack of confidence. I felt like I was in the wrong place because now I could see what I was skiing.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This happens to me every year. :smile: My brain remembers ripping up the slopes, and my muscles do too...but they haven't been used for that purpose in months and months, and they're rusty and not responding quickly or accurately, and I ALWAYS find myself thinking "oh rats, I forgot how to ski." Low visibility does it to me, too, especially my first time down a run. If I can SEE the run I can pick my route and plan for the ice, death cookies, scraped off areas, big torn up powder stashes, whatever. If I can't see it, I just have to take it as it shows up, and I should think a lot of people find that really challenging. I don't like it at all, and I wind up skiing s-l-o-w-l-y and conservatively, just the kind of thing to put a head-trip on.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just realised something else as well. I had my skis fully serviced and tuned before this holiday, and apparently the guy who did it is the company's best ski technician in the region.

I think he tuned them so well that the tips and tails were catching. Obviously the issue with this is not his work but my sub-standard technique, but I could feel it and was afraid of catching an edge on the steeper pitches.

Should I de-tune them slightly at the tips and tails?

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Obviously the issue with this is not his work but my sub-standard technique

Don't be so hard on yourself LY! Sounds like you had a whole pile of things add up to make a bad experience; you've been ill, boot problems, weather, trying to keep up with the speedsters. As Lilywhite pointed out, the end of one season to the beginning of next can be a long while for us Brits and we can end up expecting everything to be perfect because we want it so badly. Then of course it is extra-disappointing if it isn't because we can't just come back next weekend!

Not the my opinion is of the slightest importance where ski tuning is concerned, but I would say leave them for now. If this guy is as good as he is reputed to be, when you are back to your normal self I'm sure you will appreciate the quality of the tune. And if you still don't like the way they are running when you have warmed up in Austria I'm sure you could get them done then & there.

I'm sure you will be :ski: on your next trip!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not the my opinion is of the slightest importance where ski tuning is concerned, but I would say leave them for now. If this guy is as good as he is reputed to be, when you are back to your normal self I'm sure you will appreciate the quality of the tune. And if you still don't like the way they are running when you have warmed up in Austria I'm sure you could get them done then & there.

I'm sure you will be :ski: on your next trip!

I value everyone's opinion, and I think you might be right. I could just see how they are next time. I now sound like I have a massive list of (poor) excuses for being crap, ha :embarrassed: .

Thanks for the good wishes ES x

julielavelle

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I lost my mojo but it was because of a lesson! My friend and I were in Whistler two seasons ago and decided to splurge on a private all-day lesson. So excited! The gentleman was mean! A big German with a billowing voice and smartass comments. Had comments on everything including my lunch choice. When I met up with my husband at the end of the day, I was ready to scrap skiing and head to the spa. Still have flash backs to the terrible experience. Hope the five day Okemo clinic helps me progress.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I had “one of those days” yesterday. Meh. Was with a group totaling 6 - 2 we knew, their 2 friends, us. Well, the one lady I didn’t know was Ms Hot Shot. “Can’t keep up with me? Go fish” - kind of deal. Tough-ish conditions, powder packing into solid, hard stuff - and skied off due to wind scour and sizable crowds. Body avoidance rules in effect. I always ski in a much slower, more measured fashion when it’s busy (i.e., predictably, I hope). This lady bombed, without regard for what was around her. I nearly did a slide-out over a cross-cut cliff in my attempt to keep up. Lasted 3 runs and was done (with that group). Feigned excuse, left.

Kind of took the wind out my sails for the day.
Found a quiet corner of the resort and hung out there. Luckily, DH was willing to sacrifice the charger group. I’d otherwise have definitely (and gladly) done it solo.

I was Ms Fifth Wheel and needed to leave.
“You gotta know when to fold, know when to walk away...”

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL, good decision, staying with someone who gets on your nerves like that tends either to make you more tense or to make daft decisions you wouldn't normally.:decision:

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like how I felt with the uber fast group. I hated holding them up (although MSL I think you're a way better skier than me, that woman just sounded dangerous).

I really think you made the right decision, and don't be deflated by that show-off.You sound far more sensible and considerate, it doesn't mean she was better than you.

I felt like that about the woman I collided with. After she put her skis back on she SHOT off, leaving me struggling to follow. Then she and her OH left the group.

I'd still be interested to know people's thoughts on detuning the tips and tails of my skis slightly? Would it make them less hooky? I really think two inches of tail and the bit around the shovel might help, and shouldn't affect edge grip as they're slightly rockered anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga