• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

East Coast Women's Clinics 2013-2014

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone have any recommendations for a ski clinic on the east coast for this upcoming winter? One that you've attended or one that you're planning to attend this year because you've just heard such wonderful things? :smile:

I'm debating what to do...I definitely want to do a clinic, but I'm not sure if staying in PA is the best thing for me at this point. The big things I'd like to work on this year are steeps, bumps, and trees. I've done both the clinics at Bear Creek and Jack Frost in the past, but I'm not sure they're going to get me what I'm really looking for. Bear Creek has no trees, rarely has bumps (especially earlier in the season, and while Sasquatch is steep, it's not a long steep. Jack Frost has not much more steep as far as length, does have a bit of trees, and a few bumps (less earlier in the season, but a few); however, I did their clinic last year and while I was placed in the "adventurous" group, we didn't spend much time in the bumps or trees overall.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't done it, but curious about the women's clinic at Gore because it may fit in with being up in Lake Placid in early March. Also one in late Jan. Price seems good, $235 for Sat-Sun or $141 for Sat only.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, that does seem good! I had been looking around at Okemo and Killington but they're kinda pricey, and Killington doesn't have up their 2014 dates yet. I'd been keeping an eye out at Hunter too, but also no 2014 dates yet.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am interested too in the east coast women's clinics too and I need improvement in the same areas - steeps, bumps and trees the most. I haven't looked for which one yet.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Last year I was looking at the Sugarbush clinics, they have some women specific stuff. Not sure if anyone has any feedback on that particular one. I have been wanting to ski Sugarbush in general so that could explain some of my random interest there.

Random thought: I'm rooting for Sugarbush as an option for Diva East if there is a vote for location on this side of the country as there was for Diva West this year! :smile:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And Mad River Glen is right next door! I really want to go there, although I'm not really sure why given that I'm not great at ungroomed skiing yet, as evidenced by awesome moves in Aspen. :smile: I think they've totally suckered me in with the "Ski It If You Can" thing. I may be dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb....

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well Mad River Glen apparently has 1 day women's clinics a few times per season as well as the choice of doing a 4 person group clinic for adults where you bring your group and they customize your lesson to your group's needs. This would be the perfect place for us to get more comfy with ungroomed skiing tinymoose! I'd be worried of booking anytime in advance though since it seems like a place you really need to have good conditions. IF we happened to already be going to Sugarbush and there was a good day for Mad River Glen though.. :eyebrows: I'd be game!

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And Mad River Glen is right next door! I really want to go there, although I'm not really sure why given that I'm not great at ungroomed skiing yet, as evidenced by awesome moves in Aspen. :smile: I think they've totally suckered me in with the "Ski It If You Can" thing. I may be dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb....

It's not that scary, though skiing it after a big snow dump when it's all chopped up is rough!

BTW, I'll give some pointers on steeps & trees in exchange for a few beers! :wink:

Libby

Certified Ski Diva
Haven't done it, but curious about the women's clinic at Gore because it may fit in with being up in Lake Placid in early March. Also one in late Jan. Price seems good, $235 for Sat-Sun or $141 for Sat only.

I have a good friend that did the women's clinic at Gore in 2012 and loved it. She then did the glades clinic (co-ed) in 2013 and loved that too. Gore's clinics tend to be a really good value. They also include breakfast, lunch, and a wine party afterward. I did the intro to telemark clinic there in 2012 and it was also a great clinic.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a good friend that did the women's clinic at Gore in 2012 and loved it. She then did the glades clinic (co-ed) in 2013 and loved that too. Gore's clinics tend to be a really good value. They also include breakfast, lunch, and a wine party afterward. I did the intro to telemark clinic there in 2012 and it was also a great clinic.

Glades clinic!?!? That's exactly what I need, as long as they break you into different levels or I'd definitely hold everyone up..

marzNC

Angel Diva
So who wants to do the Gore clinic March 1-2? <waving hand> Always fun to meet up with Divas. I can't commit now but have been thinking about the idea for a while. I need to be Lake Placid by March 4 for the start of my DD's spring break.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not specific to the northeast, but happened to come across an article with the title "Resorts realizing vlaue of women-only ski clinics" in Travel Weekly. Not much content that's new to Ski Divas but interesting to see in a general travel e-zine.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would be in a for a clinic at Gore this winter.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Glades clinic!?!? That's exactly what I need, as long as they break you into different levels or I'd definitely hold everyone up..

I'm a PSIA Level 3 and love, love, love trees. So, I'd be happy to help anyone, if the dates are right for me to make it to Diva East. And, there's never a charge for one Diva helping another!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm a PSIA Level 3 and love, love, love trees. So, I'd be happy to help anyone, if the dates are right for me to make it to Diva East. And, there's never a charge for one Diva helping another!

BackCountryGirl, where do you instruct? Am I correct in thinking Sunday River or am I mistaken?

MissySki

Angel Diva
BackCountryGirl, where do you instruct? Am I correct in thinking Sunday River or am I mistaken?

If so, I was wondering what you think of the adult seasonal program because I am considering doing it, but am a little unsure what it is overall. I can't quite figure out from the site's description if it's more instruction or guiding to cool spots on the mountain, or a combo of both or what. I would like a bit of both, I want to explore more terrain from someone in the know and I don't want to do drills everytime I'm out, but I also want some feedback and advice when I need it.

This will be my first year with a season pass anywhere so I'm excited to be up pretty much every weekend and really get to know the mountain. My goal as it has been for a little while is to become more proficient in bumps and trees this season which is something I am lacking. I am also hoping the program breaks people up into groups by ability so I don't hold others up and vice versa.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
If so, I was wondering what you think of the adult seasonal program because I am considering doing it, but am a little unsure what it is overall.

I am at Sunday River. I was in the ski school for 5 years and now I am a weekend Gould Academy Competition Center coach. But, many of my "besties" are adult seasonal program coaches. And they are the cream of the crop -- Level 3 coaches with years of coaching and skiing experience. It is that group that helped me enormously in the 3 years that I trained intensely for Level 3. You are correct that there is a mixture of coaching, guiding, and just plain skiing. Usually, there are several groups and options for the type of skiing you want to do on a given day: black performance, blue performance, women only, stumps and bumps, racing, etc. And, you can switch up each weekend or each session. I know alot of the guests in the group and they are wonderful people. It can be social, if you want it to be -- gatherings, apres activities, etc. A bunch always do the Trek across Maine in June, for example. But, it is a very welcoming group of people and it is really a great way to learn the mountain, meet others, and improve your skills. (And, if you have kids, definitely consider River Runners.)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am at Sunday River. I was in the ski school for 5 years and now I am a weekend Gould Academy Competition Center coach. But, many of my "besties" are adult seasonal program coaches. And they are the cream of the crop -- Level 3 coaches with years of coaching and skiing experience. It is that group that helped me enormously in the 3 years that I trained intensely for Level 3. You are correct that there is a mixture of coaching, guiding, and just plain skiing. Usually, there are several groups and options for the type of skiing you want to do on a given day: black performance, blue performance, women only, stumps and bumps, racing, etc. And, you can switch up each weekend or each session. I know alot of the guests in the group and they are wonderful people. It can be social, if you want it to be -- gatherings, apres activities, etc. A bunch always do the Trek across Maine in June, for example. But, it is a very welcoming group of people and it is really a great way to learn the mountain, meet others, and improve your skills. (And, if you have kids, definitely consider River Runners.)

Thanks so much for this description, I'm pretty definite that DH and I are going to do it for sure now. Sounds exactly like what I am looking for and then some. I love that you can work on different things all the time if you choose or stick with something in particular at times, the instructors sound top notch as well! I know I'll be more apt to venture into more challenging terrain with this sort of thing too. Just have to decide if we will do the 15 sessions or unlimited.

One other question, do you get to use the ski school line when you are skiing in this group as well? That'd also be a major plus on weekends and holidays up there!

We do not have little ones yet, but someday I'm sure we will have a need for the child programs as well.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If my experience is any indication, I would not recommend a Women’s Clinic at Gore. I participated in Gore’s 6 week Women's Wednesday Clinic two years ago. This is what I wrote on the end of class evaluation.

Large Class size: 1 instructor for 12 skiers is ridiculous.

No Feedback: I believe that some women told the instructors that they felt embarrassed because their skiing was criticized. The instructors tried to be kind, but the teaching suffered as a result. My friend and I agreed that we received no feedback – neither complimentary nor critical. How can I learn if you don’t tell me what I am doing wrong? And tell me immediately so I can correct this before it becomes habit.

Use of Jargon: don’t just tell me to “Get out of the backseat.” Tell me what to do. Tell me to pressure the boot cuff some more. Tell me to get over my tips. I didn’t feel like I was in the backseat. I felt balanced. If I still do it wrong, work with me!

Value for the money: If I continue to do it wrong, you aren’t picking on me if you modify my stance. This is what TEACHING is. Help me correct my mistakes. This is what I paid for and did not receive.

BTW, I like the women who taught the course. I just don't like their teaching style. As for the participants, it seemed more like a social club than women who were serious about improving their skiing. YMMV.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna