• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dressing for Vail Ski Trip

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi All,
I'm going to a ski clinic in Vail in early Jan. Tahoe weather is pretty mild in comparison to Vail based on searching weather reports. My usual outfit includes a midweight base layer (top& bottom), a Marmot windshirt (excellent recommendation from someone on this forum) and a shell jacket and ski pants. I have a feeling that may be enough for Vail. I see it's currently 6 degrees! Any recommendations? Extra fleece layer top and bottom? I hate overdressing and ending up sopping wet but it's also no fun to be freezing......I have an Isis whisper jacket I was going to bring to wear under the shell but I've heard down is a disaster if it gets wet (including sweat!).
Anyone, you guys have provided some really great recommendations.......so thought I would check in.

Hi All,
I'm going to a ski clinic in Vail in early Jan. Tahoe weather is pretty mild in comparison to Vail based on searching weather reports. My usual outfit includes a midweight base layer (top& bottom), a Marmot windshirt (excellent recommendation from someone on this forum) and a shell jacket and ski pants. I have a feeling that may be enough for Vail. I see it's currently 6 degrees! Any recommendations? Extra fleece layer top and bottom? I hate overdressing and ending up sopping wet but it's also no fun to be freezing......I have an Isis whisper jacket I was going to bring to wear under the shell but I've heard down is a disaster if it gets wet (including sweat!).
Anyone, you guys have provided some really great recommendations.......so thought I would check in.

To me, the MAIN key to skiing in Colorado and being happy is LAYERS!!!!! It can be downright HOT on some places on the mountain while at the very same time, freezing and windy on other parts of the mountain! I like to layer up like you do on the bottom, but then add a fleece vest......

REALLY cold and windy up there right now! I-70 has been closed since yesterday morning from Denver to Vail! I can't remember in my 40 years that EVER happening! :eek:

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the response NVG. Do you or has anyone else used a down jacket as a midlayer. Does that work well?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't use a down jacket for a mid-layer but I'm generally hot-blooded so what I usually wear on a super cold day like we've had before is a wicking tank, a wicking base layer (usually a cotton-feel lightweight Underarmour v-neck), a fleece zip up turtle, a soft shell and an outer shell on top with just a base layer long underwear and ski pants on the bottom. Oh, and a balaclava under my helmet.

I don't use a down mid-layer....cuz of the bulk. I have skied in a thin long-sleeved shirt, with turtle neck and down jacket. That can work, but I don't ski with down anymore!

Vail gets really cold after 1:00 if the wind picks up and the sun is down....it's in the valley.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And, don't forget to check www.snowforecast.com before you come out. Gives a pretty accurate 6 days forecast which includes the high/low base vs top and also the projected snowfall and wind for those days.

That 6 degrees that you saw for Vail was base/village temp. Obviously it is much colder on top of the mountain w/ more wind.

NVG said it right. Layering is key. My "normal" layering for teens to mid 20s temps w/ mild wind is midweight Smartwool next to skin. Then softshell pants for bottoms. Always thin ski socks. Upper body, along with SW midweight, I wear another mid weight wool shirt and then a wind resistant fleece. Jacket of the day depends on the actual temp, wind & wind chill factor. Single digits to negative temps I add a thin wool layer bottoms and then definitely wear a heavier insulated jacket. Greater than mid 20s may or may not wear fleece wind resistant fleece (depends on the wind) and most likely will wear a softshell or just a shell.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you layer, you can handle almost whatever Mother Nature throw at you! Unless, the resorts close the lifts d/t wind. Then you have no choice than to head to the bar!:yahoo:

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great responses; thanks for the suggestions...very helpful...especially the notes about difference in temps between mountain and village...big difference!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga