• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you use sole in your boots?

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies, I bought my second pair of boots this winter online. It's the SALOMON S/PRO 100 W GW . It comes with a pair of sole.

I tried it on without the sole, still a bit tight. I wasn't sure. The first few times I skied, the boots were kind of tight/squeeze, but after a few runs I didn't feel really the squeezingly tight/pain anymore. Maybe that's called break in?

Then yesterday night I put the soles on and I felt very very, unbearably tight, so after 2 runs I had to take them out and I felt fine after that.

Do you use sole? how does it affect your fit? Did I buy the right boot if I can't use the sole? it's interesting such small thin piece can make such a huge difference. I am planning after many years when the boots become loose then maybe I can use them?

Jilly

Staff member
Are you talking about the stock insole that comes with the boot? Or the shims that may come with the boot?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi ladies, I bought my second pair of boots this winter online. It's the SALOMON S/PRO 100 W GW . It comes with a pair of sole.

I tried it on without the sole, still a bit tight. I wasn't sure. The first few times I skied, the boots were kind of tight/squeeze, but after a few runs I didn't feel really the squeezingly tight/pain anymore. Maybe that's called break in?

Then yesterday night I put the soles on and I felt very very, unbearably tight, so after 2 runs I had to take them out and I felt fine after that.

Do you use sole? how does it affect your fit? Did I buy the right boot if I can't use the sole? it's interesting such small thin piece can make such a huge difference. I am planning after many years when the boots become loose then maybe I can use them?
You mean the insole in the liner.. not the plastic footbed in the shell right?

If it's the insole in the liner, don't throw them out, you'll probably want those once the liner packs out. How many times have you been skiing in them?

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
You mean the insole in the liner.. not the plastic footbed in the shell right?

If it's the insole in the liner, don't throw them out, you'll probably want those once the liner packs out. How many times have you been skiing in them?

yes. something like this:

I ski about two times at nights (about 3 hours) a week since night skiing started. so about 20-30 times? some about 60-90 hours?

Thank you for confirming the idea of keeping them and use them after the liner packs out. I wasn't sure if that's the way to go.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yes. something like this:

I ski about two times at nights (about 3 hours) a week since night skiing started. so about 20-30 times? some about 60-90 hours?

Thank you for confirming the idea of keeping them and use them after the liner packs out. I wasn't sure if that's the way to go.
Ahh, do you mean the extra white insoles that come in the box? Is this your first Salomon? My prev boot was Salomon and I just recalled they came with those. I never used them, but after three days of hard skiing, my liners packed out. They are kind of rough, right?

I went to a new bootfitter who seemed to know a lot about the various brands and he said Salomon's had some of the plushest liners, but a lot of people were surprised by how fast they packed out.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
Ahh, do you mean the extra white insoles that come in the box? Is this your first Salomon? My prev boot was Salomon and I just recalled they came with those. I never used them, but after three days of hard skiing, my liners packed out. They are kind of rough, right?

I went to a new bootfitter who seemed to know a lot about the various brands and he said Salomon's had some of the plushest liners, but a lot of people were surprised by how fast they packed out.
Exactly! It's my first Salomon. they are white and very hard and rough. Yours packed out in 3 days? oh, wow... what do you do with your boots then?

my first pair was Head, I don't recall I had any fitting or tightness issue. very comfy. I only felt it probably packed out after more than 10 years.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Exactly! It's my first Salomon. they are white and very hard and rough. Yours packed out in 3 days? oh, wow... what do you do with your boots then?

my first pair was Head, I don't recall I had any fitting or tightness issue. very comfy. I only felt it probably packed out after more than 10 years.
Though I am a first time skier, I am also a long time roller blader and sometime ice skater that likes to go really fast, so yea, I'm hard on my boots right away. When they packed out, I started wearing thick socks and put in a really thick insole (these that are 3.2mm thick!) and I was still flopping in my boots after lunch*.

My instructor noticed and told me point blank that I needed new boots. So I went to a different bootfitter and the old boots turned out to be too big because my first fitter had sized up for my bunions. I actually needed to size down both in length and volume. I am also pretty hyper flexible at the ankles and I needed a much stiffer boot - I was also flexing out of the old pair.

*I note after lunch because I find my boots fit differently the warmer the plastic gets. My husband actually has the same boots as you in the men's version and he has to tighten the buckles throughout the day. He doesn't use his white insoles though - when his packed out, he put in some heat moldable sidas inserts and those seem to be ok for now. Have you been to a bootfitter?

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
Though I am a first time skier, I am also a long time roller blader and sometime ice skater that likes to go really fast, so yea, I'm hard on my boots right away. When they packed out, I started wearing thick socks and put in a really thick insole (these that are 3.2mm thick!) and I was still flopping in my boots after lunch*.

My instructor noticed and told me point blank that I needed new boots. So I went to a different bootfitter and the old boots turned out to be too big because my first fitter had sized up for my bunions. I actually needed to size down both in length and volume. I am also pretty hyper flexible at the ankles and I needed a much stiffer boot - I was also flexing out of the old pair.

*I note after lunch because I find my boots fit differently the warmer the plastic gets. My husband actually has the same boots as you in the men's version and he has to tighten the buckles throughout the day. He doesn't use his white insoles though - when his packed out, he put in some heat moldable sidas inserts and those seem to be ok for now. Have you been to a bootfitter?

haha, the words I bolded. I actually have the same question/wondering! The time before my last time I skied, I found my boots kind of tight in the first few runs but after that the tightness just disappeared. so, I thought maybe because the cold shrink my feet? boot got cold in the elements after taken out from my car. The fit seems has something to do with the temperature.

Unbelievable it packed out in such a short short time and needed new boots! new boots are expensive to not rich people like me.

It is the first time I ever saw the world 'bunions'. I googled. Learning something new every day!

No, I have never been to a bootfitter. The only boots/shoes fitting problem I have ever had is my skate. I generally don't have problem with the fit of any boots/shoes. I am wondering if I should though? how do I know if I have a fitting problem?

Thank you so much for giving me the ideas of how to deal with packed out boots. I think I might need it soon judging by your experience.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
haha, the words I bolded. I actually have the same question/wondering! The time before my last time I skied, I found my boots kind of tight in the first few runs but after that the tightness just disappeared. so, I thought maybe because the cold shrink my feet? boot got cold in the elements after taken out from my car. The fit seems has something to do with the temperature.

Unbelievable it packed out in such a short short time and needed new boots! new boots are expensive to not rich people like me.

It is the first time I ever saw the world 'bunions'. I googled. Learning something new every day!

No, I have never been to a bootfitter. The only boots/shoes fitting problem I have ever had is my skate. I generally don't have problem with the fit of any boots/shoes. I am wondering if I should though? how do I know if I have a fitting problem?

Thank you so much for giving me the ideas of how to deal with packed out boots. I think I might need it soon judging by your experience.
I know I have weird feet, but you might not! The fact that it took 10 years for your Head to pack out sounds kinda extraordinary! How often do you usually ski? What types of terrain? What level of runs?

And of course your own preference for boot fit will come into play. I tend to like a bit of a closer fit that they call "performance" so I get a lot of responsiveness from the boot, and especially because I like to go fast. But other prefer something cushier. Like if you like freeriding more, you'll probably be looking for a cushier fit since you might be landing jumps, etc.

Jilly

Staff member
I have custom insoles that were made for my feet. The manufacturer's insoles are basically a piece of crap to fill the boot.

Replace those with something like Superfeet (green) you can get at Sport Chek or Sport Expert or even Mark's. They are thinner and more supportive with the arch support.

The shim you might need after 4 years of wear. I was at that point last year and knew it was time for new boots.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
I have custom insoles that were made for my feet. The manufacturer's insoles are basically a piece of crap to fill the boot.

Replace those with something like Superfeet (green) you can get at Sport Chek or Sport Expert or even Mark's. They are thinner and more supportive with the arch support.

The shim you might need after 4 years of wear. I was at that point last year and knew it was time for new boots.
Good to know they are a piece of crap. I was clueless. so even I loose them it is fine then.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
I know I have weird feet, but you might not! The fact that it took 10 years for your Head to pack out sounds kinda extraordinary! How often do you usually ski? What types of terrain? What level of runs?

And of course your own preference for boot fit will come into play. I tend to like a bit of a closer fit that they call "performance" so I get a lot of responsiveness from the boot, and especially because I like to go fast. But other prefer something cushier. Like if you like freeriding more, you'll probably be looking for a cushier fit since you might be landing jumps, etc.

Really? I didn't know boots could pack out and need to replace. I thought as long as it's not broken then it's fine. now I know better.

I usually just go for 2 nights a week to the local hills. and a few days to Mont Tremblant in some years. This year never go once. Have only done two long distance trips. The last one was Aspen. I skied 8 days straight that was when I realized boot packed out? I do runs up to and including double diamond. not good with mogul and trees and no park.

Jilly

Staff member
The first thing we did in the store I worked at, was sell a pair of Superfeet. Even your running shoes have an arch support. The Superfeet have that and a bit of a heel cup to stabilize your foot.

Last edited:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied 8 days straight that was when I realized boot packed out? I do runs up to and including double diamond. not good with mogul and trees and no park.
Yea that’s packing out. Those 3 days were pretty concentrated long days and that’s when I felt it! Yea I second some good insoles to extend the life of the liners. You could even try them now before they pack out if you feel your feet aren’t being supported as you want. Just be sure to take out the black insoles (you’ll see the liner stitching under them) first.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm glad the question was asked, because I got Salomon S/PRO 90s and didn't know what the white insole-looking things were, either!

I did replace the stock insole in the liner because I need more arch support. First I tried my pink Superfeet from my prior boots, but I felt like my foot could roll a little when I skied, so today I got SIDAS high arch insoles to try. Good to know I can add the shim later when the liners pack out.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my boots were really really tight for the first 5 days I skied them. Then the next 5 a little better and now, probably 20 days in, they feel pretty comfortable. So, when people are saying packed out after a few days, I think they are meaning, made more comfortable, not that the boots become unusable.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my boots were really really tight for the first 5 days I skied them. Then the next 5 a little better and now, probably 20 days in, they feel pretty comfortable. So, when people are saying packed out after a few days, I think they are meaning, made more comfortable, not that the boots become unusable.
Not disagreeing at all, though I think we should qualify this from their initial feel. For me the Salomons I had felt really comfortable and I thought that was what "snug" (first timer's mistake), but when they packed out, they were plainly too big and I was finding I need to layer up on socks to get the boot to respond to the movements of my feet and ankles.

To me that was "unusable", since I was taking lessons to improve and my instructor pointed out that it would end up holding me back in the long run as I kept trying to modify the boots to make them more responsive.

But you're 100% right that if they were at the correct tightness level at the beginning, "packing out" should really just mean more comfortable. I got new boots 2 weeks ago (Atomic Hawx Ultra 115 W XTD) and with all the skiing I've done, I've packed them out too by now, but like you said, now they are "comfortable" now versus really really tight.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not disagreeing at all, though I think we should qualify this from their initial feel. For me the Salomons I had felt really comfortable and I thought that was what "snug" (first timer's mistake), but when they packed out, they were plainly too big and I was finding I need to layer up on socks to get the boot to respond to the movements of my feet and ankles.

To me that was "unusable", since I was taking lessons to improve and my instructor pointed out that it would end up holding me back in the long run as I kept trying to modify the boots to make them more responsive.

But you're 100% right that if they were at the correct tightness level at the beginning, "packing out" should really just mean more comfortable. I got new boots 2 weeks ago (Atomic Hawx Ultra 115 W XTD) and with all the skiing I've done, I've packed them out too by now, but like you said, now they are "comfortable" now versus really really tight.
100%. I do tend to like my boots UNCOMFORTABLY tight when I get them because there is nothing worse to me than uncomfortably loose! Thats just flat out scary!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna