• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do You Like to Ski Alone?

This question wouldn't have even entered my mind if I hadn't had a couple of opportunities to ski with others besides Mr. NVG. After my accident, I never even THOUGHT that it would be possible to ski alone.

I've changed my mind....and I kindof miss it.

It's a nice way to meet people, you can get through lift lines more quickly, you can ski what you want to, etc.

I absolutely LOVED meting Robyn & Marigee and their families and skiing with them! I miss skiing with Mr. NVG! But...I'm thinking I just may like to spend a day or 2 skiing by myself and re-connecting with that spiritual side of skiing!

Do you like to ski alone?

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can totally relate. I almost never ski alone, but when I do, it's very enjoyable. Very much listening to inner thoughts, totally tuned into my soul. I don't get that opportunity often.

But... I'm kind of shy on the lift. I do appreciate it when people stike up a conversation with me. And I will start talking to little ones.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really love skiing alone. And it is exactly what you say...connecting with the spiritual side. I love the sights, sounds & smells. I also enjoy doing what I want and how fast I want and going where I want! Yep...all about me!:wink:

I do like skiing with one or two friends....more than that and it seems to be a constant conflict on "where do you want to go" and the different abilities/speeds having to wait for others. There shouldn't be any pressure in this sport!:eyebrows:

I have one friend that feels the same. It is all about being in the mountains. So when we ride together (she's a boarder) we're completely compatable. Tt's not about who's fastest or better, again, it is just about being on the mountain.

But, I also primarily hike alone (well, with my dog). Again, it's all about connecting with nature.:humble:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a matter of fact I DIDNT ski at all for many years because I didn't have anyone to ski with. Silly, huh?

That has since changed...last year I dragged my BF and a couple friends to the mountain kicking and screaming and taught them to ski. My BF loves it now...almost as much as me...almost.

This year, while I still adore skiing w/ BF and friends I have also found it quite nice to go alone. I can do what I want, when I want, and how I want. Gives me ample time to work out some "kinks". Believe me I have many of them!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, except for coaching I've done a lot of skiing by myself. Although, over the last month or so that seems to have changed and I'm booked with ski partners from now until closing weekend. I do enjoy it though, making my own decisions, going my own pace, not having to converse with people for a bit.

altagirl

Staff member
I love skiing alone. It doesn't happen all that often - I almost always run into friends or am skiing with my husband, but I enjoy it when it does!

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
not having to converse with people for a bit.

That's one part I really do like...I usually don't strike up conversations on the lifts. I enjoy the quiet.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's one part I really do like...I usually don't strike up conversations on the lifts. I enjoy the quiet.
Yeah, I live alone so I'm used to quiet time. I didn't realize how much I treasure it until just this weekend when I spent every waking minute with someone except for the time I was in the bathroom. Every minute. Ugh. I got home Monday afternoon and was so happy to have peace and quiet.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I love skiing alone, but I don't do it very often these days, because with two little kids I can't really justify sneaking off to ski by myself.

I went out for four hours alone a few weeks ago, and it was heaven. Quiet and lovely and I got LOTS of skiing done because I didn't have to discuss where we were going to stop for anyone else's agendas. And, as always, I met some cool people on the lift.

NannyMin

Banned
I like it for limited amounts of time. I'm a people person and I enjoy the synergy of skiing with like minded people, but, I also enjoy the solitude and ability to focus solely on skiing.

Yesterday I skied alone for a couple of hours in boot top creamy powder. It was so dreamiest skiing I had ever experienced...until my cell vibrated and I found out my little guy was sick.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love skiing alone. I'm a SAHM so there is always somebody wanting something from me. But when I ski alone, it's MY time. I can clear my head, just live in the moment, and not have to worry about what anyone else wants. My selfish indulgence.

Right now, I really miss it...

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NVG, you can go with me anytime!!! Seriously... I go once a week. I would never leave anyone that I ski with... like this weekend for example, I am probably going alone because everyone else is busy that I ski with. But, I'll never miss a weekend! I would prefer to never go alone, but sometimes you make that sacrifice. I'm harmless and I never said I was a good skiier - just fearless :becky:

sbskier

Certified Ski Diva
I also enjoy the solitude of skiing alone. Not to mention the fact that I can ski the same trail over and over, if that is my I preference.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm not big on skiing in groups, so its usually time alone or with a small number of friends. We like to ski the single line if its busy, especially first thing in the morning on the gondola. As regulars on the mountian we can guide people as to where to ski, eat, be at and dress as we ride up the gondola. Plus I get my groupy thing when I teach. So time alone is good, time with friends is good too.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I like it. When I was caregiver to my mom, I only had 10 daytime hours a week when I got "reprieve." (5 weekday hours twice per week.) I'd take off and ski hard for 3+- hours (hour travel each way). There would be a sizable contingent of retirees doing the same, skiing from 9-12. We'd chat on the lift but I'd usually then take off and rack up the vertical, tire myself out and come home happy to resume a very difficult job. It cleared my head.

Now that I'm "footloose" (mom passed on), I find I'm more interested in having skiing companions, though.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like skiing alone. I've never had the opportunity to ski with anyone else, so I'm not sure how it compares, but I really enjoy skiing by myself. I can go at my own pace, choose the runs I want, work on my technique and enjoy being out in nature.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like it for limited amounts of time. I'm a people person and I enjoy the synergy of skiing with like minded people, but, I also enjoy the solitude and ability to focus solely on skiing.

Yesterday I skied alone for a couple of hours in boot top creamy powder. It was so dreamiest skiing I had ever experienced...until my cell vibrated and I found out my little guy was sick.
Like NannyMin, I like skiing alone once in a while but really embrace the social aspect of skiing most of all.

When you ski in the midwest, skiing is as much a social experience as it is an activity. It almost has to be with less than 400 vert ft.

There are kinds of skiing I won't do alone, like Trees. buddy system is best in that case.

SuperMoe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I'm new to skiing this year, I really don't like to ski alone. I've been mainly taking lessons, but the one time I skied with my friend, we basically did parallel trails, so we'd start at the top together, ski to the bottom, ride up together. Pretty funny because we'd pick up our conversations right where we left off.

I actually skied alone this weekend while my youngest was taking a lesson. My ski instructor was sitting at the top of the hill and he WooHoo'd me when he saw me skiing by myself. Kind of embarrassing, but I was secretly pleased because it was a sort of a big step for me.

I think the more I do, the more I wouldn't mind being alone. When I skied with my friend, she seemed so close to me and it bothered me because I know I don't have great control and worried about crashing, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga