• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you like to ski alone?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I like both skiing alone and skiing with friends.

At small mountains with relatively slow lifts where you spend more time riding a lift than actually skiing, definitely prefer to be with a friend. Since I mostly ski midweek, can be hard to find anyone to ride the lift with at times. At big mountains I know well, like Alta, can be great fun either way. Obviously need a ski buddy for more challenging terrain off-piste but I often stay out for an extra run or two in the late afternoons. At a new big mountain, I want to have at least one ski buddy. That's why it's worth the effort to plan ahead for trips out west now that I know people who have similar interests to travel for ski vacations. When the group is 4-6 people then can split up in different ways depending on what people want to do over the course of the trip.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
We sound pretty anti-social for a social group, lol! I agree though. Skiing is really not a team sport. I like to meet up at the designated lift and ski my way. But I want to have conversations on the lift ride for sure. That’s a big part of the fun for me. I can always find someone to talk to on the lift but it’s more fun talking and laughing with friends. And apres in the parking lot or bar is way more fun with friends! There are times when I want to really ski with someone, as in right behind them (safe distance) or near them. That mostly happens when I am skiing with someone way better than me and I want to be inspired — visual learner here. Thanks friends for the fun “conversation” on this dreary day! Winter seems imminent today for sure.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Of course, when on a ski trip with children, that's a completely different situation. I really liked skiing with my daughter when she was learning, age 4-8. Even when we were just on the greens/blues. I would have happily skied with her all day long but once she was a tween (started at 7), she much preferred to ski with a friend around her age. The lift rides I had with her (age 7-12) at Alta during spring breaks were priceless.

Also enjoyed skiing with my nieces and nephew the few times we were on a ski hill together. Happened a few times when they were tween/teen. The real bonus was when they joined me and my daughter for a day after they were young adults since my daughter is a decade younger than her first-cousins.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually pop up to our local hill on my own, unless its date day with DH, but because its so small I usually end up bumping into friends and having a few runs with them before branching out on my own again, then I'll bump into more friends .... rinse and repeat, then do it all again the next day :thumbsup:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I enjoy skiing alone but also missed the conversations on the lift last season. I like not making anyone wait/waiting for anyone but I do find I have to push myself to do more challenging runs sometimes. I can get a little lazy and stick in my comfort zone if I'm skiing alone (no-one to make chicken noises as 'encouragement')...

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Both! Company for side country and hiking (and to push me) but solo for when I'm the only person who can get leave to ski or no one wants to get up early for powder.

marzNC

Angel Diva
DH and me do all of our outdoor pursuits together. If I go do something without him, it just feels strange, and he feels the same way.
Lucky you!

If my daughter hadn't loved skiing from Day 1 at age 4, I might not have gotten into skiing regularly at all as an adult. I talked about skiing when I was dating my husband. He'd gone a few times with college friends in the midwest so I thought there was potential. I did a few trips out west without him in the 1990s. Bottom line is that I found out after we'd been married for over five years that skiing isn't for him. At this point we've been married almost 30 years. He has learned to put up with the fact that I'm off skiing a fair amount during the winter months.

The other outdoor activities my DH doesn't do include horseback riding, rock climbing, zip lines, and high ropes. All stuff that my daughter and I find great fun. We've been working on BF for skiing, high ropes, and zip lines. He's already said "no" for indoor rock climbing. So far, so good on the other activities. He seemed to like the introduction to skiing at Big SNOW during the summer. :smile:

Soujan

Angel Diva
The other outdoor activities my DH doesn't do include horseback riding, rock climbing, zip lines, and high ropes. All stuff that my daughter and I find great fun. We've been working on BF for skiing, high ropes, and zip lines. He's already said "no" for indoor rock climbing. So far, so good on the other activities. He seemed to like the introduction to skiing at Big SNOW during the summer. :smile:
DH has been very open minded. Whenever I say I want to try something, he goes along with it. We mountain bike, rock climb (indoor and outdoor), ski, hike, and backpack together. We've tried mountaineering and SUP. Whenever we kayak, I prefer a single over a double kayak with him. He's terrible at steering and it drives me insane.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
DH has been very open minded. Whenever I say I want to try something, he goes along with it. We mountain bike, rock climb (indoor and outdoor), ski, hike, and backpack together. We've tried mountaineering and SUP. Whenever we kayak, I prefer a single over a double kayak with him. He's terrible at steering and it drives me insane.
We always get single kayaks!

newboots

Angel Diva
I ski alone because most of my friends are far more advanced and I like to ski the easier routes because I’m still learning. I prefer to ski with friends if there is a newbie. We encourage and support each other but that doesn’t happen often.

I think many of us have been there! Keep working on it; you'll get there!
:goodluck: :dancing:

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I enjoy both. I have a great group of ski buds at my home mountain (which is so small we rarely miss each other). This is generally on the weekends. When I can, I also ski during the week at a couple of "local" resorts where I don't know a single soul. I enjoy those days too - that's my time to practice drills or take a random lesson on a whim. I prefer to ski w/folks at bigger resorts out west. It is nice to have company on those looooong lift rides. If I do ski solo I tend to be conservative and "safe."

One thing I really like to do if I find myself alone out west, is to ski the morning mountain tour (even where I know the resort). Often I end up pairing off w/folks in the group for some afternoon turns too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga