• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you like to ski alone?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I like skiing with friends but I also really like skiing solo. I have helmet speakers so listen to music (not loud) when skiing solo and enjoy that. Also, when solo I feel I have more freedom. Some of my friends only want groomers, etc. When skiing with BF we ski more challenging runs and try new ungroomed areas etc. It's all fun.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely both. As I teach I am seldom alone, and so it is quite fun to do my own meandering thing. However, I often get bored fast unless I am working on something.

I love skiing with my colleagues which I seldom get to do just for fun. We are very similar. Powder we want to play in it, no powder we get super techy very fast.

I do find that skiing with local friends I desperately want to avoid making terrain decisions but then instantly get annoyed when they opt for a run I know will have bad snow or long lines.

I sadly don't love skiing with hubby off piste as it is essentially skiing alone. We do better when we pick a meeting lift below and often end up on the exact same line or run anyway.

Please please ladies, cold weather snow dance. I teach in 9 days and I am starting to get worried....a bit more than usual.

newboots

Angel Diva
Please please ladies, cold weather snow dance. I teach in 9 days and I am starting to get worried....a bit more than usual.
Here you go!

:hail: (The dance begins by paying homage to Ullr.)

:dancing:Dancing and cheering commences.

:fireworks:Just like with avy control, some explosive blasting in the sky will loosen the snow from the clouds.

:jumphappy: The skiers cheer when snow begins to fall.

:snow: The skidancers were all sweating from the dancing, and now they are freezing and want hot chocolate.

The End

MissySki

Angel Diva
I like skiing with friends, but also have no problem skiing alone and enjoy that as well. There was a time when it felt very scary to ski alone because I hadn’t ever really done it. Once I did It more it wasn’t a big deal anymore and I found the enjoyable aspects of it.

newboots

Angel Diva
I like skiing alone. I love the silence of the woods in the snow, for one thing. But often there are plenty of people around, and one runs into them repeatedly in the lift line and on the trail. It's a friendly solo sport, in many ways.

I also like that I don't have to worry about being far behind, or waiting for someone who is far behind. But, of course, I also like skiing with others!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I ski by myself sometimes, but I actually think I prefer skiing with a friend(s). I love the social aspects of skiing. I enjoy the chairlift chat, and I love sharing the fun of the run with someone else.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I love skiing/riding solo. Going at my own pace, doing what I want. I like skiing with friends too and it’s definitely safer if I’m going on sketchy terrain, but solo snow time is just as fun for me.

Scribble

Angel Diva
Alone, I have the freedom to disengage my mind and wander about wherever, not having to keep track of whether my ski buddies are in sight, where we're meeting or what time it is. On a good day, its like meditation. On a bad day, I end up upside down and angry at a rock.

I like skiing with others as well, but it changes the experience because I'm either not the one setting the pace, or I am but it isn't always MY pace. Its more like playing a team sport, fun, but a totally different thing.

I try to mostly stay out of the trees when I'm solo.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Here you go!

:hail: (The dance begins by paying homage to Ullr.)

:dancing:Dancing and cheering commences.

:fireworks:Just like with avy control, some explosive blasting in the sky will loosen the snow from the clouds.

:jumphappy: The skiers cheer when snow begins to fall.

:snow: The skidancers were all sweating from the dancing, and now they are freezing and want hot chocolate.

The End
This is 100% the quality content I come here for. Brilliant!!!!!!

Amie H

Angel Diva
I prefer to ski (and travel) alone. I can set my own itinerary. Take breaks when I choose, eat/drink where/when I choose. But I stay in-bounds, and don't do riskier things like glade runs etc, just stay mostly on groomers, and where other people are.

Christy

Angel Diva
Yes. Then I can do whatever I want. Sometimes I like to just stop and geek out at the views, or take photos, or if it's a nice day I can stop and sit on a picnic table in the sun, etc. For me skiing is more a way to get to be in the mountains in the winter so I'm good whether I'm sliding or sitting. Most people want to slide as much as possible. :smile:

I'm not a good enough skier to be skiing the kind of stuff where it would be best to have a partner.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Yes. Then I can do whatever I want. Sometimes I like to just stop and geek out at the views, or take photos, or if it's a nice day I can stop and sit on a picnic table in the sun, etc. For me skiing is more a way to get to be in the mountains in the winter so I'm good whether I'm sliding or sitting. Most people want to slide as much as possible. :smile:

I'm not a good enough skier to be skiing the kind of stuff where it would be best to have a partner.
Exactly this for me.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski alone most of the time. I have enjoyed meeting up with others to ski the few times I've done it, but I enjoy my alone time. Skiing isn't really a social event for me---it's a fun way to get to spend time outdoors when the weather is not much good for anything else. I enjoy just being outside and admiring the views as much as I enjoy the actual skiing.
I will say if I'm going to try something especially challenging for me, then I prefer being with someone else--whether that's in a lesson or with someone else free skiing.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Any ski day is a good day, but I do wish I was super happy skiing alone. I found this past season mid-week particularly tough since we did not have a singles line, thus no chairlift chats. Since I chose not to spend time in the lodge, I also missed the hustle and bustle of people milling around and random conversations. I work from home as well, so perhaps that adds to craving social interaction - apparently I may like people more than I think I do, lol.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Any ski day is a good day, but I do wish I was super happy skiing alone. I found this past season mid-week particularly tough since we did not have a singles line, thus no chairlift chats. Since I chose not to spend time in the lodge, I also missed the hustle and bustle of people milling around and random conversations. I work from home as well, so perhaps that adds to craving social interaction - apparently I may like people more than I think I do, lol.

I have a bunch of people at work who I schedule chit chats with regularly on Zoom. I do miss the random little conversations had when bumping into people at work sometimes. This has helped a lot. This week I had an hour long lunch chat with a coworker who had recently gotten new skis/boots/goggles after not having done so for a really long time. It was such a fun show and tell, she literally got out her boots and goggles on Zoom to show them off. I’m so excited to hear how she likes everything as the season gets going! :smile:

We also do a random coffee thing monthly where you get paired with someone outside of your department.

Lastly, I have volunteered to be a “buddy” to new employees recently. It’s a program where you make yourself available to welcome the new person and answer any questions that may arise as they are getting settled throughout their first day, week, month, year.. It’s like an instant friend in the company and they don’t have to feel weird about asking any “silly” questions within their own department/function/boss/etc. I’m up to 3 buddies now, so that’s a lot of interactions on top of the rest haha.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I love skiing alone, especially after skiing with kids all morning. I find that I can get better flow, work on my own skiing, reset better, and get a better workout going at my own pace. Skiing with friends also is fun, but a fo

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am on the skiing alone list. I can go at my own pace, which isn’t fast. And stop if I want. And not get into the, which my Old Farts Friday group often did, moments of “which run shall we take this time, somebody choose!” And then stand around waiting for somebody to do it! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna