• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Divas, we have got to stop this!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Who, then, might be our "feudal lord?" :laugh:
Don't mind me, either....
Well, FWIW, I for one am improving! :yahoo:
Said I'd follow dr's orders to the letter, and it lasted a whole 3 days!! (vs 3 wks)
Immobilizing had worse effects than moving. I choose movement.
We shall survive! We shall overcome! We shall ski again! ALL of us!!

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Who, then, might be our "feudal lord?" :laugh:
Don't mind me, either....
Well, FWIW, I for one am improving! :yahoo:
Said I'd follow dr's orders to the letter, and it lasted a whole 3 days!! (vs 3 wks)
Immobilizing had worse effects than moving. I choose movement.
We shall survive! We shall overcome! We shall ski again! ALL of us!!

I guess that would be Wendy? :noidea: LOL...

I've hit a rehab plateau, and it kind of sucks, but I know it will pass and I WILL ski again! (I've got this fantasy that I'm going to go out and ski the last Saturday of the season--April 5. Am I NUTS, or what! :ROTF: )

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
RE: I've got this fantasy that I'm going to go out and ski the last Saturday of the season--April 5. Am I NUTS, or what!

Nope. Normal. However, your mind knows (in its recesses? :laugh: ) what the hazards are or consequences might be should you actually do so....
I'm kind of there, too. Starting to contemplate when/if. Problem, at my age, is how much conditioning vaporizes into thin air after 2 weeks. :eek: Tried SO WAY hard to keep it at a constant, at the very least, all season. No choice but to let it go right now. So I'm 2 steps forward, one back. Such is life. Absolutely chomping at bit to just get back to even unweighted squats, miss my work-outs, tired of sitting around. Disobeying most of m.d. orders in re immobilization. Not sure how dumb/crazy that is, but I'm feeling okay, so....guess next OS visit will tell??

Jenny

Angel Diva
FWIW -

I met VolkGirl this weekend and, while we didn't actually take a run together, when last I saw her, neither one of was was hurt!

mcguinncat

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Num
Regarding your question about the Cryo Cuff. I have the Iceman by DonJoy.. My insurance didn't cover it so it put me back about 170 for the polar care unit and another 30-40 for the pad.
Post ACL it was an absolute necessity..Post partial menisectomy still necessary, but didn't need to be on it as long.
I don't know how the knee will feel in May when I have my third procedure, but will find out. I'm just so glad the ice machine will be there for me..The surgical nurse said to bring it so they can attach it
under the exterior dressing.
That thing made all the difference for me..I couldn't imagine any post op recovery with out it.. Think about it..Ice water running through the pad that's strapped on to you for as long as you need it and you can adjust the temprature...I think we kept it going 24/7 except to get up to go to the bathroom and move around somewhat. That was at least for the first 10 days... All you need is someone to go fetch bags of cubed ice every day or so. To me it was worth every penny.
Good luck to you~

Mt Mama

Certified Ski Diva
OTHD-I just joined Divas this month as well. I was researching skis at the time I came across the site but since then I managed a complete ACL tear on Mar. 14. I see the surgeon tomorrow and will get the full scoop and probably a surgery date. I'm 57 and have been skiing about 50 years. This is my first serious injury so I really can't complain. It is difficult looking a local ski reports with 8-12" fresh!
Let me know how things go for you. I'm in Spokane, WA

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got the 2nd opinion from one of the big Boston docs on Friday and it just confirmed what the first guy said so I'm scheduled for surgery on April 3rd. I know it's going to be a long tough rehab. I've been doing leg lifts with 5 pound weights getting ready. It doesn't hurt at all right now so it's strange to realize that I need it. Seeing the surgeon for pre-op on Wed. Got my brace this morning.
Guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Hope I'll be ready to ski next winter. Both docs said not even any golf this summer.
Jane

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear about your acl, Mt Mama. Good luck with surgery and recovery.

I feel you on the ski report thing. Friday and Saturday we got a foot of snow at my local hill, and that doesn't happen often. My season pass was laughing at me for not using it :p

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Overthehilldiva, sorry you're down too. What did your ortho say you'd be clear for this summer?

I'm planning to take a list of activities I participate in to my next visit with the ortho, and ask for projected (estimated) clearing times. I want to give myself something to look forward to, and keep myself from calling up all the time to ask if I can do something or the other that I forgot to mention.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Got the 2nd opinion from one of the big Boston docs on Friday and it just confirmed what the first guy said so I'm scheduled for surgery on April 3rd. I know it's going to be a long tough rehab. I've been doing leg lifts with 5 pound weights getting ready. It doesn't hurt at all right now so it's strange to realize that I need it. Seeing the surgeon for pre-op on Wed. Got my brace this morning.
Guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Hope I'll be ready to ski next winter. Both docs said not even any golf this summer.
Jane
No, golf is out. (twisting :nono: ) However, you should be back at full strength by September. The rehab is intense and strenuous, and you will be amazed. At least I hope so....what kind of graft are you getting?

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm rehabbing a dislocated knee..... I skiied two weeks after I did it, it hurts when I put any weight on it, and my dad thinks I need surgery. If you can get down the mountain its ok? Right?

Thought I would chime in, since injuries are actually pretty fun to talk about....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm rehabbing a dislocated knee..... I skiied two weeks after I did it, it hurts when I put any weight on it, and my dad thinks I need surgery. If you can get down the mountain its ok? Right?

Thought I would chime in, since injuries are actually pretty fun to talk about....
Well, I don't know about fun...but at least this is a venue for comparing notes. Ummmm, if you can get down? I got down fine, first leg of descent was a black, even - it hurt, but I wasn't unstable or anything. And I started walking around on my 3 sprains wayyyyyy too soon, thus setting me back about a week (a week of SKIING, I might add). Dislocation---describe? Not sure what you mean here. Have you been to dr?

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's the strangest injury story I think I have ever had. I was trying to move a weekend bag full of clothes across my room with my foot, I don't think I was at a weird angle or anything, but my kneecap just popped out of the socket and I fell on the ground. I've had this happen several times in the other knee, and the doctor said that it was because my kneecaps and the grooves are slightly off-alignment. I iced it all of the next day (instead of going skiing!) and could put a little weight on it, it was just stiff. Stayed away from skiing and running for two weeks, then started skiing again, it was fine until I started going through the park again, but didn't hurt too much. Then last week, I was filming a friend at Meadows and tweaked it kinda funny, and then again playing soccer a couple days ago. It doesn't like me very much right now. And I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself, it doesn't hurt too much until after I get into the car and start paying attention to the places that ache.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Okay, got it. The good news: this can be dealt with, and it does NOT require surgery. YET. My patella has been out of alignment for - well, never mind. What happens once it has been this way for long enough is that there is wearing away of the bone, from the kneecap not sliding through that groove. This is bad. If/when it gets bad enough, the only fix is bone graft surgery (long time NWB) or knee replacement :eek: BUT -- the good news is that the knee can be trained back into alignment. This is what I'm having done right now. It hurts, kinda like having braces, because my knee is taped, with directional force on the patella to help retrain it back into position.

This is stage 1. Stage 2 is the hard work aspect. I have to build up and maintain very specific muscles to help hold it there. The important muscle, just above the kneecap, is called the VMO - vastus medialis obliqus (probably spelled wrong, but CLOSE ENOUGH, gimme a break). Now, my VMO's seemingly have served me well enough these past never mind # years, but the physical therapist sees and notices the inbalance between the 2.

I'm not doing anything intense - yet - lots of wall-sits, not full sit - yet. I'm sure plyometrics are yet to come.

PHYSICAL THERAPY CAN HELP THIS.
DON'T let this get away from you. Yeah, it will hurt for a long time. In the meantime, one of the most highly recommended braces is called a Chopat, it's available at:
https://www.footsmart.com/P-Cho-Pat-Dual-Action-Knee-Strap-20032.aspx
I've talked to orthopedists and physical therapists who REALLY LIKE this thing. Why not give it a try? If you are insured, I strongly recommend getting in to physical therapy for this.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm getting an allograft. Both docs I saw recommended it for someone my age.
Tons of luck to you. There has been much success with allografts. Opinions as to which graft type is best vary widely. This particular type of graft seems to have the quickest recovery, due to no other harvesting having to be done on your body and thus, no other healing site. Provided you are dedicated to rehab, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to ski next season. It will be more of a "head trip" than your knee's inability to handle skiing. I think you'll be pleased with the result. Let us know how things go for you.

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much. Went for pre-op yesterday. Doc says the legs lifts I've been doing in prep are good. I'm a little nervous about living alone and the stairs but I've had crutches before so I'm sure I'll manage. So glad I found this site...there's so much good information here!!!

Mt Mama

Certified Ski Diva
In acl limbo

2 weeks ago while skiing in powder I completely tore my ACL. I got in to see a surgeon last week and didn't hear what I expected. My take on his recommendation was.....at age 57.....we don't often reconstruct the ACL but rather see if we can get back acceptable function with PT, strengthening, ROM, stability with a brace for skiing. I'm not sure he understands how committed I am to continue skiing (have skied for about 50 years and not ready to hang it up) I have started physical therapy twice a week (Making good progress :smile:) and am scheduled for a re-evaluation in 6 weeks with surgeon. My primary care physician and I both decided it is worth a second opinion so will make that call Monday. Any experience out there with pros and cons for ACL reconstruction with the Geritol Divas? Thanks.
It snowed 16" last night on my home mountain :noidea:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
recommendation was.....at age 57.....we don't often reconstruct the ACL but rather see if we can get back acceptable function with PT, strengthening, ROM, stability with a brace for skiing.re-evaluation in 6 weeks with surgeon... My primary care physician and I both decided it is worth a second opinion so will make that call Monday. Any experience out there with pros and cons for ACL reconstruction with the Geritol Divas?
Wow. That's a new one on me. I think it's completely dependent on the level of activity of the individual and just how much of it that person wants to resume. Any surgery has a risk (obviously), and this surgery demands serious rehab. But it sounds to me as though you are ready, willing and able to make that commitment and the choice. I find that to be an odd recommendation. I know someone (male) 55+- who had ACL reconstruction, hamstring graft - and he's doing great. A second opinion is definitely in order for you.

In the meantime, here is an interesting discussion of this topic from the orthopaedic surgery facility that rebuilt his ACL and both my son's:
https://www.orthoassociates.com/ACL_Indications.htm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna