• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Divas, we have got to stop this!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am literally having heart palpitations reading about all your injuries. :injured: :injured: :injured: I call a moratorium on Diva injuries. :nono: :nono: :nono: I think we have our quota for the entire board for the season so no more are allowed.

Divas with injuries, please take care of yourself and get better soon!

Jilly

Staff member
I was thinking the same. Nannymin and NVG are getting back into things and more go down. The quota is full. Be safe out there Diva's!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Okay, will do!

Trade ya, Robyn - your palpitations for my fibular collateral ligament. J/K. :smile:

Otherwise, hear ya. So it goes with 750+ members, eh? Statistical averages...:rolleyes:

I just talked to atlantiqueen (no internet access for her @ the house, she'll be online later from cafe) -- she's doing same as I am - chillin' and healin'. We are both doing better, feeling notable progress -- and she does have to get her hiney to UT on 3/15!! (I am not on a time line for any trip - what will be will be.)

Never underestimate the tough resolve of a diva! Let's all get behind num now - she's the one with the Biggie injury. :Cry: Got to keep her spirits up.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Okay, I have officially HAD IT. (How long did I last, 2 days?) (:rolleyes: ) This immobilizer is overkill to the max, and it's start to bug my ankle. I have kinda skinny legs, and it keeps creeping down, what a royal pain. Beginning to think it's hurting more than helping. :noidea:

Maybe it's the conservative treatment for this sprain, but I have never been too conservative, in any sense of the word :wink: - I'm gonna put on a lighter knee brace, get out of here and go meet some old friends (in town for National Collegiate Skiing Championships) for dinner. So there! I need some Vitamin D - AND a great dinner!

So at least I won't be on this forum 4 hours a day bothering everyone, anyway! Time to get up and get going. As to the ski season, well, you know what Leo Durocher said: "It ain't over til it's over." Serious withdrawal here. Over and out.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I am literally having heart palpitations reading about all your injuries. :injured: :injured: :injured: I call a moratorium on Diva injuries. :nono: :nono: :nono: I think we have our quota for the entire board for the season so no more are allowed.

Divas with injuries, please take care of yourself and get better soon!

Does this mean my hip has to stop hurting? For some reason on this Utah trip, my left hip has started KILLING me! Mostly when I do the moguls. I have no idea what's causing this :noidea: -- I've started icing it and taking ibuprofren. Technically, it's not an injury, since it's probably just related to age and abuse. But I'd like it to stop now, please.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:doh: :eek: What is this, contagious????
Oh no, not Fearless Leader! :(
Will you please have a lighter day? Soon?
Ugh, do I empathize. I did the acute hip bursitis thing after a crash early season. That has resolved, but I can still feel the hips. Overuse syndrome. Be careful. Stay out of the bumps for a day, please. Pain is your body's way of saying "HEY, CUT IT OUT." Too bad we women have such an off-the-charts pain tolerance.....WAYYYY higher than men.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, I think we need to take offensive measures here! I absolutely cannot get hurt before my family's trip here next week.

Wendy, take care of that hip that's a tough injury to treat if it gets worse.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Not to add insult to injury (literally), but did you read QQ's latest Solitude entry?
:eek:
Those injury statistics I quoted elsewhere/somewhere (forgot) seem to be panning out.
Easy does it, Robyn. As always, listen carefully to your body. It will tell you when to slow down/stop. It's our brains that fight it.

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Just joined - found you on google when researching ACL injuries. Injured mine and having reconstruction in a few weeks.
I've been skiing since my early 20s, did a little Masters Racing in my early 40s. I'm 63 now and tore my ACL the weekend before last after taking a header. I thought it was just hyperextended and I skiied part of the way down. When I stopped and took off my ski, the knee collapsed.
Surgery scheduled for early April outside of Boston.
Looking for some advice.

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world. Luckily its not all about ACL or other injuries. But neat to know if you're searching. Usually its skis, not body parts!! Look around at the site and join us for much exciting things!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just joined - found you on google when researching ACL injuries. Injured mine and having reconstruction in a few weeks.
I've been skiing since my early 20s, did a little Masters Racing in my early 40s. I'm 63 now and tore my ACL the weekend before last after taking a header. I thought it was just hyperextended and I skiied part of the way down. When I stopped and took off my ski, the knee collapsed.
Surgery scheduled for early April outside of Boston.
Looking for some advice.
Welcome, OTHD (we abbreviate around here :smile: ) - But how sorry I am to hear of how you found us...!! :( Glad to have you on any account.

My knees are "almost" in one piece (minor issues right now, I'm temporarily sidelined) but my son's had both rebuilt. What do you want to know? Send a pm, I can send various links to good sites. There are also several great You Tube videos, specifically the one by Dr. Alan Mishra of emedx.com that is very informative with regard to what gets done - objective and not too gruesome. According to my son, it's really the best one to view. Are you doing ROM exercises such as stationary bike right now? Keep it in motion per rx as much as possible. Totally makes recovery go quicker.

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only thing that the Dr. suggested that I do is leg lifts with ankle weights. I had some around the house - old 5 lb. ones. I'll have to ask about a stationary bike - don't have one and I'm in between gyms right now. The info the Dr. gave me seemed to indicate 8-10 months for the reconstruction to "cure." For those of you that have been through this, does that mean no skiing next year? What a year to have this happen - haven't seen this much snow in 20 years!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The only thing that the Dr. suggested that I do is leg lifts with ankle weights. I had some around the house - old 5 lb. ones. I'll have to ask about a stationary bike - don't have one and I'm in between gyms right now. The info the Dr. gave me seemed to indicate 8-10 months for the reconstruction to "cure." For those of you that have been through this, does that mean no skiing next year? What a year to have this happen - haven't seen this much snow in 20 years!

Visit this site for some good information:
https://www.orthoassociates.com/ACL_Page.htm
Also have a look at some of our other ACL discussions.
What's your location? This orthopaedic practice is in Portland, ME. I've known people to come here from Washington, D.C. area for ACL.
All kinds of interesting information that will answer your questions about types of grafts, which is better for whom and why, what the recuperation period is, what the "weak phase" of the graft is and when it occurs.
My son had patella tendon graft ACL reconstruction at this facility, 4 months of pt locally and athletic performance testing in Portland, released after 5 months. Okay, he's younger, but he also had meniscus repair. 8-10 months seems like a way long estimate to me. I don't see any reason, with proper rehab and final "numbers," that you can't be back out there next Thanksgiving.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome, overthehilldiva! So sorry that you're injured, that just sucks.I just blew my acl out on Sunday. A guy on epic did a diary of his acl tear, surgery and rehab; if you'd like to check it out, click here.

What kind of graft are you going for?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Num, how are you feeling, and how's your research going?

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the research front, it's pretty hard to get answers about pricing! I feel kinda like a telemarketer, hehe.

Looking into pt places at the moment, and drooling over the Cryo Cuff. Have you any of you guys used those? I'm thinking it'd be quite handy after surgery, and if I'm buying one anyway doing so sooner rather than later would let me get use out of it now. Pricey, but found some on sale. Is there a similar product that someone here has experience with?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
drooling over the Cryo Cuff. Have you any of you guys used those? I'm thinking it'd be quite handy after surgery, and if I'm buying one anyway doing so sooner rather than later would let me get use out of it now. Pricey, but found some on sale. Is there a similar product that someone here has experience with?
So??? What do you think?? Of course I have experience with Cryo Cuff! :smile: Actually, this was sent home with DS post-surgery, twice. The first 24 hours, it was hooked up to a pump for auto recirculation. Then it goes to "full manual" which is not a big deal. I can't imagine that anyone who has knee surgery today goes home w/o a cold cuff of some kind, and cryo cuff is a pretty big brand. Any icing device is fine. Try medical supply stores. Since then, DH and then I have benefited from it. All in the family.....:rolleyes:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
And, num, good for you for asking questions about cost basis. It's so much more common these days - providers are used to it. Health insurance restrictions and higher co-pays and deductibles are now the norm. With more out of pocket expenses, it's only practical to know HOW MUCH.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is there something in the water this year?! I'm with Robyn...we've had just about as many injuries as our little Diva fiefdom can handle. Stay healthy everyone!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna