• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Divas, we have got to stop this!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I hesitate to say anything in the inury threads because my husband and I are absurdly injury-free, compared to many people who post here, but . . .

This isn't the first time I've heard that not all ACLs get fixed. My husband was a gymnast and I know there are gymnasts that compete without ACLs.

His former high school coach is amazing - does any sporting thing you can possibly imagine, and I don't think he knows the meaning of "take it easy". He skis, rock climbs, wind surfs, etc. - all without an ACL.

So it's not unheard of, but I don't personally know what precautions, if any, someone has to take.

And I'd definitely get a second opinion, if only to be comfortable with whatever decision I had to make.

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 63 and both opinions were to go ahead. Other docs I know personally concurred if you really want to be active. The first doc gave me all the options but the danger in not doing it is that if it continues to collapse on you that you damage other parts of the knee, the meniscus, etc.
I know it's a long road ahead but I think I'm doing the right thing.

Mt Mama

Certified Ski Diva
Best Wishes

To Overthehilldiva---I think that name only applies for the rest of this year. Next season is new beginnings and you'll probably need a new name! I hope your surgery goes well this week. I'll be following your progress.:clap:

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just catching up on this thread...I had my ACL reconstructed with an allograft four years ago this June. My doctor didn't push the surgery but felt given my level of activity I would be happier with a new ACL and less likely to do more damage to my knee from the instability. I was skiing within 6mo almost to the day. When I skied hard for the first two years, my knee would be sore but it didn't really slow me down. For the rehab, tell your PT that you are a skier and she/he can give you specific exercises for skiing. Also, I was off the crutches within less than three days, even going up and down stairs with my brace on. It was my right knee, so I rented a handicapped car with controls on the steering wheel so I could drive for the first few weeks.

Good luck with your surgery. I will think positive thoughts for you!:ski2:

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Daria,
Thanks for your comments. That makes me feel a whole lot better! It's my right knee too but I think I've got that covered. All I've been doing presurgery are leg lifts with 5 pound weights. I'm was a little worried about all the stairs at my place (high ceilings, so it's quite a few steps) but it's good to know that you were off the crutches so fast! I've broken both ankles (skiing, 20 years apart) so I've had crutches before but I live alone now so I'm a little apprehensive. What kind of anesthesia did you have? Did you use a nerve block with the general?

Jane

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jane - I had a general, we never really discussed other options. Post op they set me up with a cold machine that runs ice water through a cuff that wraps around your knee. Some docs also have you use a constant motion machine to keep your knee moving. My doc didn't advise that because he thought it is something you can do on your own without a machine. I would say one of the worst parts of the process was sleeping with the brace on and banging my other leg when I tried to roll over. Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted!

Daria

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to make things interesting, my white blood count is up and I'm not sure why. I have a little bit of a post nasal drip. They may make me reschedule. I just want to get it over with. Interesting what you said about the CPM machine. My Dr. feels the same way but I've decided to give it a try since my insurance will pay for it. Some people think it gets you better range of motion faster. My Dr. says that's probably true for the first 5-6 weeks but the same after 3 months. At 63, I'll take all the help I can get!
Jane

Mt Mama

Certified Ski Diva
Jane, When will you know if you get to proceed on the 3rd? Hope you aren't getting sick. What was the date of your injury? I was able to get an appointment next monday with a very reputable doc here for a second opinion. Initially I couldn't get in to see him until the end of april so I think maybe my primary care doc is pulling for me. I will be glad when I have a direction one way or another. Meanwhile, I'm doing PT twice a week and a few exercises on my own including leg raises, heel slides and another quad strengthening exercise. Best wishes.
Naomi

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a little over 1 week past surgery and doing well. The first few days were really tough but I can walk without crutches now and I'm getting up and down the stairs with little trouble. I'm still spending 6 hours a day on the CPM machine (passive motion) and I'm already to the Dr.'s goal of 90 degrees (was there 2 days ago). I'm doing leg lifts and heal slides and quad sets. I'm still exhausted though and my back is driving me crazy from lying down so much - even my Tempur pedic doesn't seem to help. Sleeping is still tough.
No shower for 2 weeks and that's driving me nuts.
All in all I think I'm ahead of schedule with my PT.
Jane

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a close call resulting in a sore but okay shoulder today. I went off a lip at an angel and the snow gave way under the uphill ski when it was still weighted so in my flailing attempt to recover my downhill arm went across my body and caught on the slope as I went down thereby being wrenched pretty good. Wine, cheese and Aleve will asist it's recovery tonight so I can ski with NVG and Persee tomorrow.

My good news is my Chopat knee brace is doing it's magic and I haven't had a lot of pain during skiing since I got it.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Regarding ACLs ... I think it depends a lot on your individual physiology, as well. There are even professional athletes who play without them ... eg, John Elway tore his in college, never repaired it until after he retired from the NFL.

My husband tore his right before we went to Austria. It wasn't confirmed (no time for the MRI), but all the signs were there. When the doctor learned he was about to go on a ski trip to Europe, he shrugged, drained his knee, gave him a burly brace, and said "Ice a lot." DH did very well, actually. It buckled on him only one time. Since then, he's skied a couple of times.

He had the MRI after we returned, and the doctor confirmed the tear. HOWEVER, he has done so well without the ACL, that they aren't going to operate unless things get worse. Doc said he might just be one of those people who functions fine without it.

What makes us think it will work is that he is probably as weak as he's ever been, as far as leg strength. He hasn't really been working out at all ... if he has enough stability like this, then he will be much better after he rehabs.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
OUCH, Robyn, take care of your shoulder!! Once it settles a bit, keep it in gentle motion. Shoulders that don't move tend to "freeze," and that stinks. Otherwise, very glad to hear that good old "Chopat" is working out for you!! That it provides relief is somewhat telling of the cause of your knee pain. More about that later.

As to NOT BEING ABLE TO SHOWER FOR 2 WEEKS post-ACL reconstruct---wow, othdiva, really feel bad for you!! I only chime in these conversations about ACL due to my son having had both knees done in an 8 month time span. He wore an "immobilizer" post-surgery and was able to shower within a few days. Instructions were to wrap it in a plastic bag, with towels duct-taped to top and bottom. He felt 100x better once showered. No CPM - he did all that against a wall lying on a bench, other exercises done right in bed., leg elevated, Cryo-Cuff 24/7 for first 2 weeks. He was cleared from ortho and pt after 6 months (slightly less w/knee #2).

One of the more important aspects (at least to him) of physical therapy was the neuro-muscular retraining in re: proprioception. The thing is, a graft just "feels" different - and it takes time to retrain your body and brain to get used to this. He felt it was the most valuable aspect of pt.

Robyn, Robyn, Robyn! You silly girl! You are not supposed to ski on your shoulder!!!!!!! :becky:

I will take care of you tomorrow! :D

Rest up!

Mt Mama

Certified Ski Diva
recovery

I went in for a second opinion on my severed ACL last Monday. Long story short, this doctor thought I would be happiest with repair and I was ready to hear that. He is one of the best knee surgeons in the area. They had just had a cancellation in their surgery schedule for Wednesday and I took it. Normally it would be out two or three weeks so I was thankful that worked out. Now I am 3 days post-op. The drugs are helpful and I'm using the CPM machine, a borrowed cryo cuff and still on crutches. My sister came to stay and wait on me which was great. She left today so the hubby is on duty. I'm 57 and had an allograft. Jane, we can compare notes of rehab. Sounds like you've got a good start. Naomi

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn, Robyn, Robyn! You silly girl! You are not supposed to ski on your shoulder!!!!!!! :becky:

I will take care of you tomorrow! :D

Rest up!
You crack me up! I'm just excited that I get a chauffer. I've skied 33 days so far this year and driven all but 2. It is such a treat!

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Overthehill...90 degrees already is fantastic you are one awesome diva!!! :yahoo: :clap: keep it up

Regarding reconstuction or not, I decided to go for the reconstruction becuase I was concerned that with my high level of activity, that my knee would get worse with the instability. My goal is to be able to ski forever no matter how old. So we (me and my doc) decided to go ahead. I do have a ski instructor friend who had hers recronstucted but it did not work and she is ok - although she avoids the bumps which I love :love:

Who knows what the right answer is :noidea: after four years from my surgery with an alograft, I am very happy with my decision :ski2:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
From: https://www.orthoassociates.com/ACL_Indications.htm

"It appears though, that in virtually all patients who have tom their ACL's, the knee does not function properly, even if the abnormal motions are very subtle and imperceptible. I often describe the situation as being analogous to a car with the tires unbalanced. When the vehicle is going slow, the abnormal motion (shimmy) is imperceptible; but when the vehicle is going faster with higher loads, the abnormal motion may be very noticeable and intolerable. Regardless of the loads, though, the tires are wearing faster than they otherwise would and abnormal forces are being transferred to other structures which also may wear differently.

The same seems to be true for unstable knees. Even if the instability appears to be minimal and well controlled, the knee does not take favorably to being unstable. Wear and tear changes (by definition, this is arthritis) slowly begin to occur, such as increasingly roughened joint surfaces, damage to meniscus cartilages, and gradual stretching of some of the remaining normal ligaments which have to deal with greater loads."

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Doc says less chance of infection if I hold off on the shower until after the stitches are removed. Have an appt. on Tues.
All this lying around saps my energy.
I've never been a bump skiier - started some racing in my early 40s, loved GS - gave that up after I

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used a cast cover for showering when I had my foot surgery ... it worked quite well (except for operator error one day when I folded the seal and filled it up with water ... no harm done, since I was getting the stitches out the next day anyway). Google "Brown Medical Cast Cover Adult Long Leg"

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update!
Started my regular PT on Monday. Not quite 3 weeks yet and flexion is at 110, and I'm still working on extension. They are adamant that I continue to use 1 crutch most of the time until the leg is completely straight - getting there. I'm back at work part time but very uncomfortable. My back is worse than the knee from all the weird positions I've been in. My only real problem has been a couple of dizzy spells, one in the shower last Saturday and another when I was walking back from the mailbox and stopped to talk to someone for about 10 minutes - just standing in one position???? Just made it home, had to peel off my clothes, drank some juice and had to lie down. Over all, doing well though.
Jane

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna