• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

crowds at alta/ snowbird vs solitude

steepsanddeeps

Certified Ski Diva
Hi-
We are stopping in the Salt Lake area to ski Sat & Sun and I"m wondering if any Divas are in the area and can comment on how crowded Alta/Snowbrid vs Solitutde is on the weekends. We have never skied Solitude and we love Alta but I'm worried we could just be in lines all day over the weekend. Any feedback appreciated. Booking lodging today. Thanks!

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I read somewhere that Brighton can be the least crowded of the Cottonwood Canyon areas on a weekend. I have no first hand knowledge of this though. It sort of follows (in my mind anyway) that Solitude might also be less crowded than the LCC resorts. Hopefully someone will chime in with real knowledge on this. I too am thinking about the same issue for when I’m in Utah over the 4/10-4/11 weekend. I am probably going to ski Brighton/Solitude on that weekend with hopes that they will be less crowded.

Scribble

Angel Diva
I read somewhere that Brighton can be the least crowded of the Cottonwood Canyon areas on a weekend. I have no first hand knowledge of this though. It sort of follows (in my mind anyway) that Solitude might also be less crowded than the LCC resorts. Hopefully someone will chime in with real knowledge on this. I too am thinking about the same issue for when I’m in Utah over the 4/10-4/11 weekend. I am probably going to ski Brighton/Solitude on that weekend with hopes that they will be less crowded.
I avoid Brighton on Saturdays due to crowds, but Sunday is usually pretty good until around 11:30-12pm. Parking has tended to fill up by 10:30am, earlier on Saturdays. It really depends on the weather.

steepsanddeeps

Certified Ski Diva
I avoid Brighton on Saturdays due to crowds, but Sunday is usually pretty good until around 11:30-12pm. Parking has tended to fill up by 10:30am, earlier on Saturdays. It really depends on the weather.
Thank so much. Do you know if solitude tends to be less crowded? How does expert terrain compare at each and as compared to Alta?

Scribble

Angel Diva
I haven't skied Solitude this year but the parking fills later than Brighton. Parking there isn't free. Both of them post to Twitter when they're full if you want to keep an eye out for trends. Last season, Sundays were about the same as at Brighton and I would alternate weekends.
I haven't skied as much of the expert terrain at Solitude. The groomed runs can be chaotically crowded where runs narrow or come together. Lots of uncrowded bumps though, I'd say steeper than the average at Brighton. Honeycomb canyon is beautiful and not so crowded but isn't really an area you can lap due to the lift layout.
Brighton has great tree skiing everywhere on the Crest/Snake Creek/Great Western side. The ungroomed runs are usually empty even when other runs are packed. Its a short-ish run, but Wren hollow off of the Crest lift can be really nice after there's been a bit of snow. The Milly side has a "choose your own adventure" aspect on the left side of the lift. Its usually less crowded over there. Larger areas of the Milly and Great Western lift catch full day sun and get a little squishy on warm days.
I've only skied Alta during lessons or with my DH, who sticks to the blue runs, so I don't know my way around the expert terrain. I'm sure someone else can chime in!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank so much. Do you know if solitude tends to be less crowded? How does expert terrain compare at each and as compared to Alta?
The advanced/expert terrain at Solitude and Brighton are in quite a separate category than Alta. How you access that terrain is also quite different. What do you mean by "expert terrain"? Steep chutes, tight trees, powder bowls? How do you feel about in-bounds hiking or long traverses that are on the bumpy side?

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
April weekends are quite different from mid-season weekends. Still more people on Saturdays, but it's for more dependent on weather and snow conditions. If it's in the 40s at the bases, locals won't bother. So only the relatively few travelers who booked a ski trip in advance.

Solitude was much emptier years ago before lifts were upgraded. These days I would be surprised if Brighton is that much less crowded than Solitude on Saturdays. For sure, there are fewer crowded days in BCC than LCC. People who plan ski vacations to destination resorts think of Snowbird and/or Alta. Most have not really heard of Solitude or Brighton. Brighton is a favorite of locals, especially younger people, because the season passes are cheaper. Also had night skiing and terrain parks.

altagirl

Staff member
This past weekend we had icy roads and FWIW, it took my husband 4 hours to drive home from Alta. (It's about 20 min with no traffic). I was hearing 1.5 to 2 hours for people getting down from Big Cottonwood Canyon. And it's a longer road. So it's somewhat less crowded.... but not uncrowded. But all the major resorts are a crowded mess on weekends, especially when conditions are good.

In large part it's because they do so little traffic control and there are regularly 2WD vehicles stuck or in accidents blocking the road. Putting up signs that say 4WD or chains are required doesn't seem to do much.

steepsanddeeps

Certified Ski Diva
The advanced/expert terrain at Solitude and Brighton are in quite a separate category than Alta. How you access that terrain is also quite different. What do you mean by "expert terrain"? Steep chutes, tight trees, powder bowls? How do you feel about in-bounds hiking or long traverses that are on the bumpy side?
I missed your post till now. I am not a tree skier (tree wells scare me). Prefer steep bowls. Love bumps. Np with traversing but am loath to hike. Thanks for any suggestions!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I missed your post till now. I am not a tree skier (tree wells scare me). Prefer steep bowls. Love bumps. Np with traversing but am loath to hike. Thanks for any suggestions!
In that case, I would guess that you would like Solitude over Brighton. While there is hike-to terrain at Alta, there is a lot of terrain that only requires a traverse. Might be a pretty long traverse but moves pretty fast. Take a look at the Alta website for the sections that are noted separately in terms of when ski patrol has them open after a snowstorm. Ballroom, Devil's Castle, Greeley Bowl, Catherine's and a few other areas can be closed for a day or three after a big storm. There is plenty of steep, open bowl skiing off the Ballroom and High-T traverses. You can see it all from he Collins or Wildcat lift. The best view of the High T terrain is from the Wildcat side.

Given your preferences, Snowbird might be the best fit. Especially if Mineral Basin is open. It's one hugh bowl, and mostly pretty steep.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m in Alta now. Tomorrow is supposed to clear finally, which will be good since the visibility has been nasty. Couldn’t see in Ballroom so it’s been untouched since Wednesday. Hasn’t stopped the crowds. I’ve never seen lines at Alta like I’ve seen these past few days. Pack patience.

steepsanddeeps

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! We came to solitude and hardly had a line all day. Waaay better than our home mnt. Of squaw on a Saturday. Enjoyed some great bump runs and am not missing the sierra cement/rain/ ice cycle. Nothing like Utah snow. Even got a table for lunch at roundhouse and the curry was delish. Thanks for all the suggestions! We have tomorrow to stay here or check out brighton

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Glad you enjoyed Solitude! Sounds like a good decision. I was wondering if the SOLBRIGHT trail is open? I want to try out Solitude and Brighton on the same day by using that trail. With an IKON pass it wouldn’t cost me any more. Anyone know about the SOLBRIGHT? I won’t be there until 4/10 so what are the chances do you think? Thanks! @steepsanddeeps please let us know how it goes tomorrow. I have heard all the snowboarders (Brighton) sleep late on Sunday, lol!

steepsanddeeps

Certified Ski Diva
Glad you enjoyed Solitude! Sounds like a good decision. I was wondering if the SOLBRIGHT trail is open? I want to try out Solitude and Brighton on the same day by using that trail. With an IKON pass it wouldn’t cost me any more. Anyone know about the SOLBRIGHT? I won’t be there until 4/10 so what are the chances do you think? Thanks! @steepsanddeeps please let us know how it goes tomorrow. I have heard all the snowboarders (Brighton) sleep late on Sunday, lol!
Will report back

marzNC

Angel Diva
Glad you enjoyed Solitude! Sounds like a good decision. I was wondering if the SOLBRIGHT trail is open? I want to try out Solitude and Brighton on the same day by using that trail. With an IKON pass it wouldn’t cost me any more. Anyone know about the SOLBRIGHT? I won’t be there until 4/10 so what are the chances do you think? Thanks! @steepsanddeeps please let us know how it goes tomorrow.
I did the SolBright trail for the first time last season. Getting to Brighton is straight forward for an advanced skier. Going back to Solitude is better if you carry LOTS of speed when going thru the gate back into Solitude. That cat track gets pretty flat in more than one section.

As for whether or not it's open, impossible to predict.

I opted to go over to Brighton for lunch. Then spent a couple hours wandering around a bit. I'd been to Brighton before but it had been a few years so was mostly interested in remembering how things were laid out. That was barely enough time to get to all the lifts once.

steepsanddeeps

Certified Ski Diva
I concur with all the advice and experience of everyone who said Solitude offers more solitude. We ventured to Brighton Sunday morning and I would not wait to get back over to Solitude. SO much more crowded and a very different vibe. I was shocked at home many people did not have on helmets, too many out of control thrill seekers for me to fee safe and mask compliance was much lower. We headed back to Solitude after lunch and it was lovely and not a single line. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna