• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Crazy binding question

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Ladies,

So I bought Marker 12 Bindings for my Auras. I'll have them mounted later this summer or whenever. I am now planning to buy LadyHart Twintips.

Question is: can I have both skis drilled for the bindings and change them out at will? Or does removing a binding destroy a ski? What if one weekend I want to ski the Auras, and the next I decide on the Harts? Can I share the bindings between skis? :confused:

Recall I am new to ski gear, and my Burnin's have system bindings.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not an expert on the subject but I would not recommend it. You can take a binding off a ski and put it on another but I would not do it many times; the wholes in the skis would probably get widened or something or screws get stripped.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Nope, not a good idea. Anyone who has ever had a binding strip away from a ski - and usually at a very inopportune moment - will confirm that this isn't a good idea. Bite the bullet and get a 2nd pair of bindings.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with above and here's why:

Both those skis are sold "flat" meaning they don't have a system binding. A non-system ski must have holes drilled into the core of the ski itself (through the top sheet and any other internal layers). Both these are wood core skis (I believe) so inserts are not required as they would be for foam core skis. The binding mounting screws are then screwed through the holes in the bindings and into the holes drilled in the skis, usually with a blob of Lock Tite to keep them from rattling loose. Each time you remove those screws you risk stripping the holes so the screws no longer grab and letting moisture into the core of the ski which can cause delamination and a host of other problems. :nono:

In the case of re-mounting a used pair of skis, a new set of holes is often drilled to account for boot sole length differences, so hole widening is not usually an issue. Plugs are used to fill the old holes to prevent moisture from entering through those holes.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As said above, I wouldn't recommend that you use the same binding for the ski, unless you have a plate binding mounted, such as a vist speedlock plate. Then you can buy two plates and one binding.

For twin tips, or powder skis that is not the best binding choice

This is a picture borrowed from a friend, of the way the speedlocks are set up. As you can see, they may not be idea for a fatter ski or a twin tip where you want a closer surface contact.
n540901137_355180_5702.jpg

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Wow, as always good explanations! So a second pair of bindings it is. Besides being extra work, seems it is bad for the ski and dangerous for me. For the plate binding, I am in fact considering that for the carvers, but agree it's not best for the mid fats. Thanks, ladies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga