• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

COVID Closures

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
As much as it pains me to do this, I think this thread is needed so we can stay on top of resort closures, should they occur because of the pandemic. As of today, November 16, New Mexico has temporarily closed its ski areas in an attempt to blunt the spike of illnesses and the strain on hospitals and health care providers. And I'm afraid this could just be the beginning.

So if you hear of any others, post them here.

It's going to be a rough season. :frown:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As much as it pains me to do this, I think this thread is needed so we can stay on top of resort closures, should they occur because of the pandemic. As of today, November 16, New Mexico has temporarily closed its ski areas in an attempt to blunt the spike of illnesses and the strain on hospitals and health care providers. And I'm afraid this could just be the beginning.

So if you hear of any others, post them here.

It's going to be a rough season. :frown:

When I click ‘like’ it doesn’t necessarily mean I actually like it. But thank you for staying on top of this as best as possible. Sigh.

My mechanic is picking up my car to winterize it and put snow tires on today. That was planned before things tightened up even more. At this point I’m not entirely sure where I will be in December yet! Keeping safe is my plan.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not exactly a closing, but still directly related to COVID-19 and not lack of snow or snowmaking temperatures. Mountain High in southern CA delayed it's Opening Day because of positive cases among employees were detected a day before they planned to open. The news was apparently posted on FB and in a blog post. The Mountain High blog is unavailable as of Nov. 16.

At the same time, Mammoth opened on Nov. 13, a day earlier than previously announced after a big snowstorm.

Nov. 12 (updated Nov. 13), MSN
Nearby snow resorts announce opening dates; Mountain High delays after positive COVID tests
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...loyee-tests-positive-for-covid-19/ar-BB1aVIEX

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Many of the counties in Colorado that have ski resorts will be moving to Level Red covid restrictions on Friday. The ski resorts don't yet know if they will be permitted to operate under this new level: https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/11/18/colorado-ski-resorts-covid-restrictions-level-red/249100/

For background: This week Colorado also changed its covid restriction level system. The old Level Red (full lock-down) is now Level Purple. Level Red introduces a variety of new restrictions, including shutting down all indoor dining (which, duh), banning indoor events and gatherings of any size, and banning personal events with people outside your household (I'm not sure the latter restriction has really sunk in for people planning Thanksgiving). The guide that was distributed yesterday doesn't include specific guidance about ski resorts (https://www.denverpost.com/2020/11/17/colorado-covid19-dial-level-red-purple-restrictions-capacity/), but does say that "outdoor unseated events" can move forward with appropriate distancing and at 25% capacity. :noidea:

I was hoping to get enough work done today and tomorrow to maybe get up to Loveland this week, and am now feeling even more motivated to make that happen.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just asked my landlady if I could postpone my arrival until January this year. On the one hand it pains me. On the other hand I am feeling somewhat relieved. I was going to have to quarantine so much to get in and out and in through two states that I wasn’t going to have as much time as I would like anyway. And the apartment will be clean! I hope no one goes scrounging in the closet under the stairs however since it’s full of all my stuff!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just asked my landlady if I could postpone my arrival until January this year. On the one hand it pains me. On the other hand I am feeling somewhat relieved. I was going to have to quarantine so much to get in and out and in through two states that I wasn’t going to have as much time as I would like anyway. And the apartment will be clean! I hope no one goes scrounging in the closet under the stairs however since it’s full of all my stuff!

OH NO! I'll miss seeing you, Abbi!

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good news update out of Colorado -- the new level of Covid restrictions going into effect on Friday will close all indoor dining in ski areas, but the resorts will be allowed to continue operating:

"According to an email from the Colorado State Joint Information Center sent Wednesday evening, the new dial level announced Tuesday by Gov. Jared Polis “does not affect ski resort on-mountain operations specifically.” Ski areas in Level Red counties must suspend indoor dining and provide takeout and grab-and-go or outdoor dining, “but may still operate their lifts according to their approved plan.”" In the updated version of the same article from earlier today: https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/11/18/colorado-ski-resorts-covid-restrictions-level-red/249100/

marzNC

Angel Diva
I like that! It’s what we’ve been saying all along, run the lifts and shut the lodges.
The Colorado plan for Code Red counties allows lodges to be open for a quick warm up and restrooms. That's pretty much how Wolf Creek decided to operate from the start. Makes sense to me.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like that! It’s what we’ve been saying all along, run the lifts and shut the lodges.

Now we just have to see if people can actually follow the rules for masks and distance in the lines and on the lift. I have my fingers crossed but I have watched people behave like children of late! The children have often been better mannered than the adults!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Now we just have to see if people can actually follow the rules for masks and distance in the lines and on the lift. I have my fingers crossed but I have watched people behave like children of late! The children have often been better mannered than the adults!

I feel like we can do this is the East.. at least I hope so! I haven't seen any rampant craziness from the mountains open in the West yet on social media, and we have some of the highest compliance in the country for mask usage in the Northeast. Of course the wildcard is in the north country in places where there has still been resistance in some towns and only recently having mandates put in place.. So fingers crossed! I anticipate heading to Wachusett this afternoon that there will be great compliance with all restrictions. They are very aware that messing this up will get them shut down, so I would hope if anyone resists that it's dealt with swiftly. I haven't had issues with people in MA in public at all so far with mask usage and distancing, so I'll go with that assumption until they prove me wrong. :goodluck:

Jilly

Staff member
Well Premier Ford announced today a lock down of the province of Ontario. Unlike his counterpart in Quebec, Ski areas are included in the lock down.

So anyone that put Blue Mountain on their Ikon Pass, just got a credit to next year. Closed for 28 days. And I'm not sure if they've even opened yet!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well Premier Ford announced today a lock down of the province of Ontario. Unlike his counterpart in Quebec, Ski areas are included in the lock down.

So anyone that put Blue Mountain on their Ikon Pass, just got a credit to next year. Closed for 28 days. And I'm not sure if they've even opened yet!
So now you can’t go to Tremblant, nor can you ski at your local hill?

Are you considered northern or southern Ontario?

Jilly

Staff member
I'm southern Ontario. But eastern. We were in a Yellow zone and like the rest now soon to be Grey, locked down. They will re-evaluate in 2 weeks. Ottawa is not happy and they reduced their numbers over the last week. But the Premier is correct in that if they open Ontario, Quebecers that are shut down will come over. We've seen it here in the last 2 weeks. Most of the people at the local Mall are not locals..

Not sure how strict things are going to be about going into Quebec. I was going to wait till after Christmas day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna