• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

couch to 5k???

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen several of you mention a "couch to 5k" training plan. One of my goals of recovering from my broken leg is to be able to at least jog a 5k by the end of summer. Will some of you kind divas point me to those training plans?

Much thanks!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the site I used last year:
https://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Went from not being able to run 30 seconds straight to running a 5K in less than 35 minutes in about 10 weeks time. (The only problem is that I have since gone back to the couch...:eek: Will be remedied shortly.)

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
wow! That's what I needed to hear. I can do the elliptical for an hour on an incline, but I can't run down the block. I'll definitely get going with this one. I'm a little wary of starting this with snow on the road, given my recovery from my broken leg *I don't want to do that again*. It will be my Spring chore, unless I can figure a way to do it on a treadmill at the gym.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Slidergirl, you may want to start on a treadmill to get your pacing down. I find that when I run outside I go out way too fast and burn out. Starting on a treadmill will help you keep a steady pace.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You may want to look into Yaktrax, too, if you don't want to do the treadmill and don't want to wait till the snow's gone. They're great for traction. I :love: mine!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, yes, I love my Yaktrax but I was focusing more on the running outside at all because of the ability to the elliptical for long periods but barely run outside. I find that I have huge issues with pacing outside so I go out and while I can do much longer no walk periods on a treadmill I'm going so much faster on the road that I end up walking much sooner (like running a 12 min mile on the elliptical but my pace on the road if I kept running would be 8 min).

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks to both of you. I do have Yaktrax, as well as some other winter traction devices. I have to wear them when I work up at the bobsled track. I wear them when I walk my dog right now. I'm just a little nervous about running on the snow. I don't want to fall and re-injure my leg or hurt anything else. I had enough of being hurt!
I will give the treadmill a try as a way to get started. It's pretty easy to vary the needed pace on there, so I'll at least know my reference point for how "fast" I'm going.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't like running in the snow/ice either, hence why I've slacked off. But like Robyn posted, I did find that I paced myself better on the treadmill. The only thing that detracted from that was that my 2 little monsters would wreck my mom's extra room while I ran on her treadmill. She has since moved it to the basement so I can't use it anymore while she's at work; the kids would likely get hurt running loose down there.

The great thing is that with every bit of accomplishment, it encourages you to go further and do more. It's amazing how much you can transform your fitness in so little time! Best wishes with it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga