• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Continental Airlines - Travel w/skis

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas,

I would like to hear from anyone who has had a recent experience traveling with skis on Continental Airlines.

In two weeks my SO and I will fly out of Newark, NJ to Steamboat Springs, CO :yahoo::snow: and wonder what difficulties we might encounter that did not previously exist. Over the past 10+ years when skiing out west we always carried on our boots, checked one not-too-large rolling suitcase each plus one double ski bag with both pairs of skis & poles plus some gloves/hats/underwear as extra padding - and we never had any problems.

Of course we will review Continental's current rules, but this time we are also going to test pack, consolidate/cut back on how much we take, and weigh the bags. Since we've been hearing & reading that the new rules may not be applied as expected, any current first-hand experience/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

abc

Banned
You need to keep the double ski bag as light as possible, and WEIGHT IT before hand! I packed two pairs of skis in a single bag with very little padding (no space in a single bag), it tipped the scale at 48lb! Still, other people had also reported able to keep two pairs of skis a hair under 50lb.

About the two rolling suitcase, can you replace one of them with a rolling duffle bags? Call it boot bag, it will then fly for free as part of the ski "package". I did that back in May when flying back from Canada, by Continental. The check-in agent didn't blink, gave me another luggage tag for my "boot bag", didn't ask if it contained boots (it did NOT, the boots are in my carry-on)! :smile:

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Careful with that "boot bag" though.. even though Northwest's website said that boot bag+ski bag counts as one, I could not get the check-in counter to budge on that for me. I had to pay $25 each way for my ski bag (Sportube). I carried on my boot bag, had 1 piece of luggage, and the Sportube. This was May 2008.

abc

Banned
I must be more believable! :smile:

Yes, I encountered for the first time a check-in agent who wanted to charge me for the boot bag. But I just said with a smile "skis and boots count as one peice, right?" Mind you, not with a questioning tone but a matter-of-fact tone. ;-)

She was hesitant. Clearly she wasn't happy about being pointed out to be wrong. But she couldn't just say no (and I was ready to produce the print out from their web site). So she said: "Of course, as soon as I can see it's just boots in the bag!"

Now, that was a bit of a rub, since I put the boots in the carry-on. There's nothing but lots and lots of dirty laundry in the bag! But seeing the line behind me, I un-zipped the bag nonethelss and starting pulling some odds and ends out of the bag as I said: "I put some small peices in there to keep the boots from knocking around in the bag"...

That did the trick! :smile: She put the tag on the handle and said "You're all set". The line behind me breath a collected sigh of relieve, for me and for themselves (half worrying about how long would that "bag inspection" would have delayed them)!

I mean, in the worst case, I can simply pull the boots out of the carry-on and back into the "boot bag", and exchange the dirty socks in the carry-on if need be! But it never came to that. ;-)

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I flew Continental from Newark to Seattle this past weekend with skis and a *full* transpack, and that counted as a ski bag + boot bag and they charged me $15 (the 1 bag price). Normally it's $15 for the 1st bag and $25 for the second bag, but for skis + boots you get an exception. They are very firm on the 50lb per bag limit, though -- I saw a bunch of other people getting a hard time from agents over 1 or 2 lbs of extra weight.

abc

Banned
1 or 2 lbs? Why didn't they just pull something out of the bag to make it under 50lb?

Or maybe they were more than 5-10lb over?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Careful with that "boot bag" though.. even though Northwest's website said that boot bag+ski bag counts as one, I could not get the check-in counter to budge on that for me. I had to pay $25 each way for my ski bag (Sportube). I carried on my boot bag, had 1 piece of luggage, and the Sportube. This was May 2008.
But your luggage bag was a normal size luggage bag, not a boot bag size.
The rule at the time was 1st bag free, Ski/boot bag combo as one bag for 25.00.

I have flown recently via NWA. All bags were under 50 lbs and all were free until you get the third bag.
As usual, I carried my boots and lap top on, and checked my luggage bag and ski bag.
:smile:

Sorry I don't have any good info for continental.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
1 or 2 lbs? Why didn't they just pull something out of the bag to make it under 50lb?

Or maybe they were more than 5-10lb over?

Well, they did, I'm just saying -- make sure you have somewhere you can shuffle an extra 1 or 2lbs to, or make sure your bags are under 50lbs.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I flew Continental from Newark to Seattle this past weekend with skis and a *full* transpack, and that counted as a ski bag + boot bag and they charged me $15 (the 1 bag price). Normally it's $15 for the 1st bag and $25 for the second bag, but for skis + boots you get an exception. They are very firm on the 50lb per bag limit, though -

This is very reasonable. If you know in advance what the policy is, and make an attempt at being polite, there should be no problem.

As stated above, when I flew NWA to Vermont in December, I paid for both bags, $10/first bag $25 for the second bag, which could have included my skis and boot bag, but I carried my boots on.

When we flew last week, we didn't have to pay for our bags NOT ONE, both ways on all three flights.
Either they have changed their policy or I've earned elite status. Who knows :dunno:

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But your luggage bag was a normal size luggage bag, not a boot bag size.
The rule at the time was 1st bag free, Ski/boot bag combo as one bag for 25.00.

I have flown recently via NWA. All bags were under 50 lbs and all were free until you get the third bag.
As usual, I carried my boots and lap top on, and checked my luggage bag and ski bag.
:smile:

Sorry I don't have any good info for continental.
True, but I had read of others who were able to convince them of the same while traveling and didn't have to pay. :noidea: It's in the past now anyway...

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the input, Divas!

We're going to test pack this weekend, with a scale standing by.
After we get back I'll let you know how the trip went.

Thanks again!

Brooklyn Skier

Certified Ski Diva
United Airlines fees

I flew out of Newark. I was charged $15 for my luggage and $25 for my skis (each way). I didn't know that the boot bag was included in the $25 for skis and actually carried my boot bag on the plane. This was a hassle as I had airline delays and several connections to get to my final destination. I wound up staying overnight at one of the connecting airports and didn't have any change of clothes just the ski boots which were useless. Coming back when I checked in an airline personnel was nice enough to inform that next time have a smaller piece of luggage to be my carry on and check the boots with skis.

If you're concerned about not bringing enough..try stashing clothes by wrapping in plastic bags around your skis and also stuff what you can in the boot bag.

Most airlines now charge for the first piece of luggage. This was due to the cost of fuel skyrocketing last year. Now that prices are half of what they used to be the airlines don't want to stop charging for that first bag as it is an extra money maker for them. So, its best to re-examine how many items (clothes, shoes, makeup, hair products, travel iron) you take on trips that you don't nessessarily need and cut them off your list. I am guilty of bringing so much junk on trips because I'd think "what if I need..."

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
the catch to ski/boot bags

OK. I looked at Delta's website for ski equipment information. It states:
"Ski and snowboard equipment are accepted as checked baggage.
An item of ski or snowboard equipment is defined as:
* One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag, and
* One boot bag
The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 pounds or excess baggage fees will apply. The outside linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches and no excess baggage fees will apply."

Did you notice that the COMBINED weight of both bags can't be over 50 lbs??? It seems that all skiers will get that excess baggage charge if they check both. The overweight charge is $90 if 51-70lbs, and $175 if over 70lbs. The oversize charge is $175!!

On the Continental site, it has:

"Continental accepts one item of ski equipment per customer as checked baggage. Ski equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:
* 1 snowboard or 1 snowboard bag containing 2 snowboards
* up to 2 pair of snow skis and associated equipment in 1 bag and 1 ski boot bag.
If applicable, the first ($15) or second bag fee ($25) applies to ski equipment.
Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.
Ski or boot bags weighing over 50lbs (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight fee.
Ski boot bags measuring over 62 linear inches (157 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of ski boots will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.
Continental is not liable for damage to water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment.
Excess Valuation may not be purchased for water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment."

Sounds like Continental might be cracking down on stuffing bags, since they say several times that having anything other than skis, poles or boots in those bags will make them become just baggage and subject to those extra charges.

Continental's charge for overweight bags 51-70lbs is $50 and for oversize bags it is $100. If your bag is 71+lbs, it won't be accepted. So, beware.

On both airlines, the stuff is subject to the $15 and $25 first and second piece fees.

I took a look at United's fees and died. The overweight charge is $125 for 51+lbs!!! And, their oversize charge is $175. Their ski policy seems to be a mix of Delta and Continental:
"Allowance/requirements
1 ski bag, containing 1 pair of skis and poles, plus 1 boot bag, containing boots and bindings only, are allowed in place of one checked bag.
If additional ski equipment is checked, each piece will count as a standard-sized special item, and the associated fee(s) will apply.
Maximum size/weight
If combined weight of ski bag and boot bag exceed 50 pounds (23 kg), an overweight fee applies."

At least we're luckier than my skeleton sliders - they always get stuck with the major overweight charge, since just the sled alone can be 43kg, not counting it's travel bag. Add that to their normal travel luggage, and they are getting hit pretty hard, since they have the potential for flying twice a week. Some airlines used to cut them some slack, but not anymore.

Brooklyn Skier

Certified Ski Diva
United Airlines fees for skis & boot bag

Hello. I flew out of Newark on United at the end of last December and United Airlines most def WILL charge you $25 each way for ski plus boot bag as that is what they charged me. If you have luggage they WILL also charge you for each checked bag as well (at $15 each way). United Airlines wouldn't allow the ski & boot bag to be checked as the $15 luggage rate whatever they say on their site...once you get there, $25 is what they will charge for the skis & boots (you can try talking out of it but the NYC area airports won't hear it). Best bet is to have a smaller luggage to carry on (NO FEE YET for that) and only check your ski & boot bag for the $25 each way...so in the least you'll save $30 ($15 each way) luggage charge. It stinks, I KNOW. My skis and boots are pretty light and were no where near the 51lb mark. Good luck on your trip.

...I took a look at United's fees and died. The overweight charge is $125 for 51+lbs!!! And, their oversize charge is $175. Their ski policy seems to be a mix of Delta and Continental:
"Allowance/requirements
1 ski bag, containing 1 pair of skis and poles, plus 1 boot bag, containing boots and bindings only, are allowed in place of one checked bag.
If additional ski equipment is checked, each piece will count as a standard-sized special item, and the associated fee(s) will apply.
Maximum size/weight
If combined weight of ski bag and boot bag exceed 50 pounds (23 kg), an overweight fee applies."

At least we're luckier than my skeleton sliders - they always get stuck with the major overweight charge, since just the sled alone can be 43kg, not counting it's travel bag. Add that to their normal travel luggage, and they are getting hit pretty hard, since they have the potential for flying twice a week. Some airlines used to cut them some slack, but not anymore.

skihub

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is very reasonable. If you know in advance what the policy is, and make an attempt at being polite, there should be no problem.

As stated above, when I flew NWA to Vermont in December, I paid for both bags, $10/first bag $25 for the second bag, which could have included my skis and boot bag, but I carried my boots on.

When we flew last week, we didn't have to pay for our bags NOT ONE, both ways on all three flights.
Either they have changed their policy or I've earned elite status. Who knows :dunno:

You've earned elite status ma'am!!! I am checking NWA policies now to decide whether to ship or fly my skis with me to Steamboat. It is $15 for first bag, $25 for second bag. Skis and boots together count as one. So if I get creative and efficient, I may be able to check in a boot bag full of clothes and my ski bag for $15. Then carry my boots on.

By the way, shipping from mid Michigan to Steamboat for a single ski bag is $90. Home to resort service - guaranteed but pricey.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BTW, it should go without saying, but NEVER check your boots on the way to your destination. Sure, you can pack something that's like a boot bag to use that allowance, but the last thing you want is for them to lose your boots en route. Skis you can rent, clothes you can buy, boots are too difficult to try to replace on short notice.

abc

Banned
BTW, it should go without saying, but NEVER check your boots on the way to your destination. Sure, you can pack something that's like a boot bag to use that allowance, but the last thing you want is for them to lose your boots en route. Skis you can rent, clothes you can buy, boots are too difficult to try to replace on short notice.
I think that's too strong a statement. It depends on the situation.

I've flown from JFK to Denver or Salt Lake City for YEARS! That's a lot of trips and never once I've had even delayed luggage!!!

So you think I'm just being lucky?

Sure, I've had plenty of luggage being late, some even for a whole week! But all of those luggage delays involves change planes and/or bad weather.

So, I think if you're flying a direct flight in a big plane in good weather, the chance of lost or even delayed luggage is very small. Boots are ungainly and heavy. It's a pain to have to cart it around the airport and security checks. I don't see it as a neccesity to ALWAYS carry it onboard.

But, if I'm taking a flight that involves plane changes, I pack the boots in my carry-on.

Jilly

Staff member
I know a gal that got her "ski bag" in July. We left Denver in early March! Things do get lost. So far I've got luggage on the next flight Toronto to Ottawa. So that's not bad. But I'd hate to get to Denver and not have my boots! They are going on board with my laptop. Skis and the rest can go below.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have never lost luggage on a flight. That said, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Would you check your laptop? Your jewelry? Are you that confident in the airline's ability to not lose/reroute your luggage? Or better yet, that they won't throw your luggage around like gorillas and potentially break a buckle or something? Volklgirl's Auras were bent on her flight in May; that, to me, is a strong statement of how manhandled luggage is, even if you've never witnessed the tossing yourself.

You spend a lot of money for a ski trip and you may as well make it as enjoyable as possible. Minimizing the risk of losing your boots should be a priority. As I said, skis and clothes are fairly easily replaced; ski boots are not. I err on the side of caution.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna