• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Congratulations and pls help me: Burning Luv X Atomic Cloud 9 X Attraxion VI

mafebarros

Diva in Training
Hey ski lovers and divas,

Congratulations on your website! Very very helpful! I am loving it!! Thanks for taking the time to help many other ski enthusiasts!

Sorry to bug you with another of these ski X ski type of questions...I did my research, did my share of demos and I am stuck now, not being able to make a decision. Only a diva can help me at this point!! :smile:

Important background informaation: I am 27, short (5 feet tall), 5 Kg (sorry, forgot in pounds...) above the weight I should be, advanced and agressive skier (some pople call me expert, but I don't fell like it, mainly b/c I am not that good on bumps and powder- yet!) , ski all mountain (I would say I spend 75% of my time on groomed, practicing short turns) and I will be mostly skiing on the East coast (NY, Vermont, etc), which means I will face a lot of ice!

What is important for me in a ski: to be good on icy conditions, stable on high speed (I speed a lot), not shaky, forgiving, and good in medium and short turns.

I demo a few skis this season in CO: (1) I hated the Lotta Luv (I thought it was unreliable, it had a "life of its own", would turn easy but would ski off my feet - someone mentioned this in another forum, you kind of lose control of it), (2) kind of liked the Nordica Olympia but wasn't too impressed (something was missing, perhaps "personality" and didn't speed as much as I would have liked), (3) didn't like a Salomon I tried (this year's, blue and white, forgot the name) - it shaked too much on high speeds) and (4) One Luv (this one I liked a lot, it was very reliable, stable and quick in turns - it is kind of heavy, but I liked that actually).

Now I want to buy a ski and for what I've been reading, I am considering One Luv (which I tried), Attraxion VI (mainly because of the good reviews on ski press and ski magazine), Cloud 9 (this ski seems to be very popular among ski testers, but I am afraid it it too light for me, since I don't like skis that shake and I am not a light skier....am I wrong?) and Burning Luv (which is supposed to speed well and be good on icy conditions, for what I've been reading in some of the foruns...).

My problem: I already demod too many skis and, to make it worth buying a pair, I cannot really afford to demo any more (perhaps just one last time...). If I were to be conservative, I should buy the One Luv, which I have already tried, although I didn't fall in love with it (I liked it a lot, though) and I am "afraid" that there is sth out there much better for me and it is jut a matter of researching and taking some risk (I am willing to take a "very educated risk")....also should say I tried One Luv in CO, and I am not sure how it would hold up on icy conditions...so perhaps the burining luv woul be similar to One Luv but better on ice?

What do you think I should do? Go with the One Luv, get the Burning Luv, Cloud 9, Attraxion VI or am I looking the wrong way?

Thanks so much!!!

mafe

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It would really help to know your actual weight (approximately), and which Nordica or Salomon you demoed in order to make other recommendations. Also what about the One Luv did you like and what didn't you like? Have you tried any of the Volkls? They tend to be heavier and very stable at speed with a death grip on east coast "hard pack". They also have a lot more lively feel than the K2s.

In addition, the lengths of the skis you demoed could have a SIGNIFICANT impact on how they handled at speed. As an aggressive, high speed skier, you should be looking at a longer ski (forehead high or taller, depending on weight).

Jilly

Staff member
Was the Salomon the Topaz? You should have tried the Origin.

I'm a Rossi fan and would take the Rossi over the Atomic. The profile of the 6 is the same as my Z5's. The construction inside is different. This ski will go anywhere. The Atomic is strictly a groomer ski. I don't know anything about the K2's as our local shop doesn't carry them.

mafebarros

Diva in Training
Thank you guys!

You are right. I am pretty sure I tried the Salomon Topaz and not the origin.

One Luv. What I liked:
- pretty stable (didn't shake with speed)
- pretty responsive
- I tried it after the Salomon Topaz, so I was happy to trust the skis and go much faster
- good turn initiation

What I didn't like:

- besides being good in turn initiation, after starting the turn, didn't think it was that special. Perhaps lacks grip? Or cut?
- not good in bumps or double-blacks for me - perhaps it lacked some flexibility/maneuvability
- "looks" (but this is not important to me, just an obs...)

I believe I tried the 155 One Luv (I am always skiing around 155-160)

My weight: 125-130 pounds (and trying to lose 15 pounds this year and hope my new skis will help!)

I liked what you said about Volk. Unfortunetely, I didn't try it. Which one you wuld recommend for me?

Thanks again!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would say to take a look at the Volkl Fuego in the 154 and 161, and the Nordica Firefox in the same lengths. Both are high speed freaks with plenty of stability and lots of edge grip. You may also like the Nordica Speed, although I found it a little soft (but I outweigh you by LOTS). If you're still looking at the K2s, give the Burnin Luv a spin.

I don't have any experience with the women's Rossis, but you may want to look at the unisex Z9, or whatever replaced it. If you're interested in unisex skis, check out the Nordica Helldiver or the Volkl Tigershark 10ft.

m185

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi there...I haven't had a chance to ski on them yet...but I am exactly the same weight/height as you - and it sounds like the way we ski is very very similar...and the conditions we ski in.

I ended up getting Attraxions but I got (the 2008 model) the V as the price difference was huge between the VI & the V! HOWEVER it was my 2nd choice - I was after the Roxy Joyriders but I couldn't find them at a good price in my size plus I had shipping issues to take into consideration as I dont' live in North America (I'm in Asia).

Good luck!

Jilly

Staff member
The only difference between the Rossi V and 6 is the 6 is a tad stiffer and better cosmetics. The Z5 or Z6 this year is stiffer again as its unisex. There are no changes to the women's line next year. The zenith line is dropped for next year and replaced with the Advantage (I think that was the name).

Now if you could find a pair of Rossi Attraxion 12's (2010 ski). That is a speed demon and craver. It's modelled after the 9S oversize, a tuned down race ski. The Unisex model will be the 8S oversize. (catch a trend here?)

From your description I would keep the 6 and drop the Atomic cloud from your list. The 6 will let you ski some crud and even a little powder too. Like we get much here in the east!

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take a look at Atomics Heavens Gate. I ski last years version (Foxy Mamma) in a 150cm. I'm 5'2 and a "robust" 180 lbs. LOL At my height/weight I now know that I need a longer ski to handle speed. I just demoed the 157 w/ good results.

I love the edge hold of the Atomics....they stick to the mountain like glue. This ski loves to turn!! Makes incredibly easy short and medium turns. Very quick and responsive edge to edge. They are very lightweight. Not like the metrons of old. :smile: At the appropriate length they are stable w/ speed. They handle cruddy pushed around snow well and are comfortably usable in small amounts of fresh powder. I think its a good "all arounder". Dimensions in 150 are 123-74-108 w/ R=10.5. Step up to the 157 and 124-74-109 R=11.5.

I demo'd the Cloud 9 in 158cm and found it to be way too soft for me. The Foxy/Heavens Gate is a burlier ski. I've demo'd the Volkl Fuego and that is a great ski as well, heavier than the Heavens Gate but w/ a similar shape. Great east coast edge hold there as well.

Jilly

Staff member
Heaven's Gate is a much more all round ski than the Cloud 9. I was torn about this ski for myself. I think its still at the store!

mafebarros

Diva in Training
Snowflake, M185, Jilly and Volkl girl,

Thank you very much for your advice! That's very helpful. I am now convinced I shouldn't get the CLoud 9. Very glad I talked to you, since I almost bought it!

So now, I guess I am between the One Luv, Burning Luv, Heaven's Gate, Rossignol V or VI, and Volk Fuego (I think I prefer a women specific ski than unissex because I have quite a "women waist" and I am sure my gravity center is way below a guy. lol. Therefore, I guess the Z5 and Z 6 are not for me)

None of you seem to think very highly about the K2. Am I wrong?

If that is the case, how do I decided between Heaven's Gate, Rossignol V or VI, and Volk Fuego? For icy conditions and stability, I guess I should be looking more at Volkl Fuego and Heaven's Gate. Am I wrong? On Ski Magazine, the testers said that the Rossignol VI is a ski that needs two hands on the wheel so I am questioning its stability, although m185 seems to like it and she has my measures.

Anyway, thanks a lot!!! It is fun to talk to poeple that know so much about skis!! I am still learning. These are going to be the first pair of skis I ever owned! I am from South America and this is my first time living in a country with snow!!

Thanks!

mafe

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just my personal tastes.....I hated the Lotta Luv when I demoed it. With only 1 exception (the ultra fat Outlaw), I've never met a K2 ski that I liked. I find they all have a speed limit well below where I like to travel and I'm not a fan of their heavy, damp feeling. Ditto for my experiences with Rossi (except the Z9).

I haven't tried any Atomics in some time (I think the incredibly awful Metron was my last shot at them), nor have I tried any Fischers other than their race-stock skis.

I like my skis stiff, lively, and willing to go very, very fast! Thus, my love of Volkl. I was also pleasantly pleased by my demos on both Hart and Head skis.

mafebarros

Diva in Training
Volkl girl, for me, since I usually ski around 155 on K2, would you recommend me the Volkl fuego 154 or 161? 161 can be too tall for me and a little but hard to turn?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It really depends. If you truly carve your turns at least 75% of the time and keep your speedometer near the redline, I'd say go with the 161. If not, the 154 should keep you well satisfied.

You can read my take on the size differences here:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2605

mafebarros

Diva in Training
Thanks Volkl girl! Great post about the skis!

Since I am 10 cm shorter than you (you would be 167 in cm, and I am 156), I guess I should look into thr 154. The 161 would be taller thant I am, which was not the case for you with the 161 being yourself 167 (I am sorry to be using cm here, but this is the measure I know well!)

I was thinking about the Nordica Fox until I read about the recall someone posted on skidiva forum. It made me scaared to buy or even try it, w/o knowing I will get a pair of skis with the problem.

I am going to Stratton next weekend and I hope I can demo the Volkl fuego...

Thanks again!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Given that we're within 5 inches of each other, I think that difference in weight is more important than difference in height. I'm 88 Kg (I think), so the difference in stability between the lengths was very obvious for me.

Oh, and don't be afraid of the Firefox. Most shops will have their stock fixed/replaced before they will let them leave the store. For any used skis that are on the recall, you just take them to a dealer and they fix or replace them.....really, no big deal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga