• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Congrats, MaineSkiLady!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Currently frustrated, because one of the receptionists of the ortho I decided to go with somehow screwed up booking my surgical consult (which was for next week), and just let me know today. It's problematic because he's going out of town and booked solid before then, and won't be able to see me til mid April. I'll be calling and seeing if there are cancellations, or if another receptionist can hook me up at all (the one I'd talked to previously was quite helpful). I don't wanna just sit around on it. If I could see him and make a plan for PT and have surgery scheduled before he goes out of town, I'm happy. I don't want to wait a month to get the ball rolling though, so if I can't get something sooner with them, I'm looking elsewhere.
:( Frustrating indeed....Keep in mind, though, that while waiting is frustrating, it has its benefits---the other stuff settles down. Is there anything else going besides ACL? I bet you could safely start stationary bike, easy does it. That's all my son did before his. Just range of motion stuff. This place likes full ROM pre-surgery, no swelling. Different story if meniscus is involved. His were full-on grade 3 tears, I have incredible scope photos - they gave him a whole contact sheet each time: photos of before/during/after. Amazing.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Meniscus seems to be fine, it's just a grade 3 acl, grade 1 lcl, bone contusions and microfractures. ROM is my concern, that's why I don't wanna just sit around on it. I'm considering seeing a third party PT for one session to see what I'm cleared to do for exercise until I can get on a plan with my doc.

Not gonna let my knee keep hijacking your thread though. Here's to an expedient, thorough diagnosis for MSL's knees!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Meniscus seems to be fine, it's just a grade 3 acl, grade 1 lcl, bone contusions and microfractures. ROM is my concern, that's why I don't wanna just sit around on it. I'm considering seeing a third party PT for one session to see what I'm cleared to do for exercise until I can get on a plan with my doc.

Not gonna let my knee keep hijacking your thread though. Here's to an expedient, thorough diagnosis for MSL's knees!
LCL-1 should be knitting up by now. Standard protocol is 3 weeks. Bone contusions will hurt for awhile (don't aggravate!!) - microfractures is the aspect I'm unfamiliar with. Do you have CD of your MRI? Third party PT is not a bad idea, but they'd need to see some films. This is a good thought if your insurance doesn't require a direct m.d. referral (many don't). And don't be silly, not a hijack! We need a "knee" subcategory here altogether!! Lots of us in or previously in this boat. Might as well share the experience(s) and get input and consolation!! And cheerleading!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:laugh: But----she's gotta get diagnosed first!

Shopping cures. Just heard from atlantiqueen in Freeport, ME, that National Bike and Ski has double Sportubes for $90, singles for $60??? :eek: Might be a serious shopping trip in MY near future :D

Ah, endorphins....sigh....
I believe the move we are talking about will make her feel good no matter the diagnosis!:eyebrows:
May even work on Brian!:noidea:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah I'm at 1.5 weeks and the LCL has felt fine. I have a cd as well at the actual scans, so I'm all good on that front. I wish I could say a knee injury subcategory wouldn't have enough material, but we really get a lot of use out of this guy :injured:, unfortunately.

On a positive note, I think the little cheerleader emoticon gets used more frequently still :D

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I believe the move we are talking about will make her feel good no matter the diagnosis!:eyebrows:
May even work on Brian!:noidea:
Even if she whacks him in the eye?
Hmmm, after he gets back from MRG, this might be a real possibility: bend, snap, whack! ("So there!")

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
On a positive note, I think the little cheerleader emoticon gets used more frequently still :D
Yay, you've got the scans!
Perhaps inappropriately, a side note: :cheer:

But seriously, good thing to have, better than chasing it down. Been that route too...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:
Hmmm, after he gets back from MRG, this might be a real possibility: bend, snap, whack! ("So there!")

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a definite possibility.... :wink:

Actually, he's been very good about it. He called again this morning (I think the 10th time he's asked?) to be sure that I'm really not going. He hasn't canceled our room yet, just in case. (Have to give 5 days' notice...) So while he had the backup plan of sharing a room with a buddy and shortening the stay from 2 nights to one, he was trying to give me every chance possible to go anyway.

I told him to go. Why should he lose out just because I'm injured? But he does have explicit instructions to bring back a new MRG shirt... yesterday our youngest fell hard and bled all over my favorite MRG shirt. :(

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:eek: Ow! Kidling okay? Bled?
I think I'd have done the same as you re: shipping him off and out. Afterward, you've earned the right to CALL IN YOUR FAVORS! :wink: Heck, I sent mine off to 10 days in Jackson Hole when DS was 2.

Aachh, just taped the patella, strange process, but when done properly, it feels great. Leaves a ton of residue, though - special stuff to get the gunk off. Almost feeling okay enough to make a few turns this weekend but will hold off til weekday?? Don't know. One day at a time. Snow due here, I can "feel" it.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been a long frustrating road, MSL, but you're nearly there!

I've been in a similar situation, and can so identify with missing those endorphins.... At times when I was recovering, I wished I had NEVER been active, so I wouldn't be missing exercise like I was.
Just keep doing that physio.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
What, you mean you can't SEE me doing all the workout stuff while I'm typing here??? :laugh:
Bend and flex, bend and flex.
Shut up, SnowHot, it's not what you think.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Actually, he's more like a family member at this point, having treated my son for 4 months w/each knee, so 8 months of going there...and the bills....and his wife works as front desk receptionist. And there's a framed poster of my son in (snow) action in the workout room. But he's trying hard to get me to try tele, says it's overall easier on the knees (which I've heard and read). Great---just what I need nearing social security: taking up a new version of this sport...:rolleyes: .... In small towns like this, everyone is practically less than one degree of separation. This is a good/bad scenario! Translation: no secrets possible!!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:eek: Ow! Kidling okay? Bled?
I think I'd have done the same as you re: shipping him off and out. Afterward, you've earned the right to CALL IN YOUR FAVORS! :wink: Heck, I sent mine off to 10 days in Jackson Hole when DS was 2.

Aachh, just taped the patella, strange process, but when done properly, it feels great. Leaves a ton of residue, though - special stuff to get the gunk off. Almost feeling okay enough to make a few turns this weekend but will hold off til weekday?? Don't know. One day at a time. Snow due here, I can "feel" it.
Kiddo is fine. Just fell off the couch on his face. He and his sister play hard and earlier in the week, he cut his gums. Now every time he has a mild play incident, it starts bleeding again. I've lost 3 shirts this week (all favorites!) to that cut!

You're so close! How does it feel when your knee isn't taped?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just fell off the couch on his face.

You're so close! How does it feel when your knee isn't taped?
1. I'm still :eek: "Oh, he just fell off the couch on his face." Guess I'm gettin' kinda grandmotherly. (:eek: :eek: )
2. Dunno - orders are to keep it taped. This is step 1 in treatment of chronic chrondromalacia - which, for me, has been 30+ years in the making. Picture a ball park. My patella is somewhere in the right field bleachers. (versus the pitcher's mound) No wonder it hurts all the time...
Picking up the workout intensity, starting to jog up and down the 2 flights, serious stretching, but no hyperflexing, again per orders. (forget yoga child's pose)
Should try on boots to see how they feel over the sprain area. Or, knowing me, not - I'm not SnowHot chipping Oct golf shots in ski boots. Sometimes I barely check them before 1st day out. Ah, complacency...

First day out will wear obligatory tape and chopat knee stabilizer, no brace. Might ace the left leg. Otherwise, raring to go. Hope I can behave myself.

Will be looking forward to hearing some news from you. Usually MRI findings are reported right away, you should know soon after it's done.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1) Well, his big sister thinks she's helpful by picking him up and placing him where she thinks he wants to go. Even if you tell her not to, over and over again. And since I'm a gimp, it's a little hard to stop. So anyway, they've been playing on the rearranged couch all week. One day it was a pirate ship. Another a playground. Yesterday was a car, I believe. He generally enjoys playing there with her but he doesn't always get down well on his own. Or his sister pushes him off over a toy dispute. It unfortunately happens frequently, seeing as she is at an age where sharing is a huge affront to her. The shock factor wore off a long time ago, I'm afraid.

2) Wow, that's a PITA. Serious stretching is something to be careful with anyway. My knee was feeling somewhat better until about a week ago when I had the crazy idea that yoga might help. :rolleyes: Yeah, that was a huge setback.

I keep getting calls from the MRI office... come in a half hour early... no makeup or jewelry... the last was to stop by my orthopedist's office beforehand and bring my x-rays with me.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Yeah, I was mega-surprised at how many yoga moves are deleterious to knees. Ditto the step aerobics class I'm taking. He positively winced. Not sure what I'll do next. I'll think of something. Your MRI shouldn't take too long or be too bad. They're more streamlined than they used to be. I wouldn't know. I've never had one. It's DS who has had every high-tech diagnostic ortho test (plus others) known to man. You think your kids will grow out of the falling down and getting hurt phase? :ROTF: I have a t-shirt that I wear to the gym that everyone loves. The caption reads: "The First 40 years of parenting are the hardest."
Ha! Will I live that long??

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me, staying still is the issue with MRIs. It's pretty hard to keep a busted joint from spasming sometimes. It varies from machine to machine, but be aware that it'll get loud. Especially when I had a brain MRI, it sounded as though they were drilling and doing construction in my head. Some places offer earplugs or sat radio headphones. If you're claustrophobic, many places offer Valium, though you need to tell them in advance so they can get a script from your doctor and you'd need to arrange for someone to bring you and pick you up.

Hope it goes well!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't take any sedatives anyway. I'm still breastfeeding my youngest. I asked and she said my head would be near the opening. I guess that's better than nothing. I will definitely be bringing some earplugs in case they don't offer any.

Love that phrase on your t-shirt, MSL. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna